Full Blown Cydia Problems

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I don't even know where to start.

I have posted in other threads about this subject but i want some suggestive help all in one post instead of bouncing between many.

My problems started with Cydia on the 18th-19th. I have heard over on the MMi forums thats a corrupted Package was installed in Cydia on the 18th- thereforee if you loaded the Cydia in a ten minute window then you were likely to have problems with Cydia.

After battling through Cydia crashes and randomness of the cydia installer altogether I attempted to purchase 3G unrestrictor. I payed for the app then cydia began the download and stopped and crashed after downloading around 52kb of the app. I then launched Cydia again and tried to re-dowload the app. It indicated that a I had already began the download and then i attempted to carry on with downloading the app.

It would never d/l, no matter what i tried it wouldn't d/l. I have tried doing it over wifi/3G/EDGE/GPRS it just wont download. I had a few pop ups stating 'forbidden' etc...

So i thought it maybe Cydia itself, i then removed Cydia through Icy. I rebooted my phone, went back into Icy and tried to install Cydia. It installed-back to the homescreen, went to click on Cydia again and now it crashes on launch.

I've heard there are methods to get Cydia to work through Mobile Terminal- can anyone elaborate on this?

If anyone has any ideas that could get this too work then i would be v.grateful- Restoring to get Cydia back is a final straw.

Thanks in advance.

-J

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Honestly, I would just restore now. If you're going to JB, you have to get used to restoring. IMO, it's the main drawback to jailbreaking in general.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
^^ As mentioned restoring is the last option. I have my phone set up exactly as i like it.

People across the planet are having problems similar to my own- people have been fixing these problems as well. So i know that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I asked for suggestive direction. Restoring my iPhone now would have wasted weeks of work modding etc.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I asked for suggestive direction. Restoring my iPhone now would have wasted weeks of work modding etc.
Like I said, you are going to have to change this mindset sooner or later if you are going to continue jailbreaking. You have to restore each time Apple releases a FW update (unless you don't want the update). Why would your themes be gone? You just reinstall them. You'll get faster with the restore and setting up process each time you do it.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I totally understand where your coming from and trust me when I say I've performed enough restores/Jailbreaks in my time now. I know you have to restore evverytime a new update comes out but as of right now i don't need to restore as my phone functions as it should. It's just Cydia thats not functioning.

Like I said, you are going to have to change this mindset sooner or later if you are going to continue jailbreaking. You have to restore each time Apple releases a FW update (unless you don't want the update). Why would your themes be gone? You just reinstall them. You'll get faster with the restore and setting up process each time you do it.
If Cydia is crashing on launch, download and run this:

http://tom.zickel.org/ClearCydiaListCache/ClearCydiaListCache.zip (Windows)

If you're on a Mac, here are instructions as there is no application:
https://files.getdropbox.com/u/15373/iPhone/FixCydia18Jul.pdf
This will help if i could re-download Cydia. I'm now getting problems with Icy.

When trying to install cydia i get this:

' Couldn't resolve host name (apt.saurik.com)
(http://apt.saurik.com/debs/cydia_1.0.2797-47_iPhoneos-arm.deb '

So confused...

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
So, I'm also guessing you don't have Freeze anymore either? Have you tried ssh'ing and deleting all traces of Cydia and trying to install again?

Basically, I was having a similar issue, then I checked out Bigboss's blog and ran through just about every method mentioned in the comments. Apparently, Bigboss's sources are the culprit.

However, after ssh'ing and deleting everything suggested, I was still having problems.

Then I came across a post saying to delete Bigboss's source directly from the Cydia folder through SSH and got Cydia to boot, albeit, with no front "news" page, but everything else was ok.

So I then went into the sources tab in Cydia itself and uninstalled Bigboss's source from there. Rebooted my iPhone, went back into Cydia, and reinstalled Bigboss's source. To my amazement, everything is now fine.

I know it sounds like a really convoluted process, however, if restoring is your only other option it definitely can't hurt.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
So, I'm also guessing you don't have Freeze anymore either? Have you tried ssh'ing and deleting all traces of Cydia and trying to install again?
-Yes i've tried ssh'ing every last trace of cydia from my device, i think i got everything

Basically, I was having a similar issue, then I checked out Bigboss's blog and ran through just about every method mentioned in the comments. Apparently, Bigboss's sources are the culprit.
-I checked on there site before and i've read up on everything

However, after ssh'ing and deleting everything suggested, I was still having problems.
-I still am :(

Then I came across a post saying to delete Bigboss's source directly from the Cydia folder through SSH and got Cydia to boot, albeit, with no front "news" page, but everything else was ok.

So I then went into the sources tab in Cydia itself and uninstalled Bigboss's source from there. Rebooted my iPhone, went back into Cydia, and reinstalled Bigboss's source. To my amazement, everything is now fine.

I know it sounds like a really convoluted process, however, if restoring is your only other option it definitely can't hurt.
-A restore is still the last resort, i feel i haven't quite tried everything yet
As i've said, i've removed cydia completely now, for some reason i can't add it through Icy now. I'm going on a hunt for the correct repo so i can install it. This is going to be my last chance i think before i hit the dreaded restore button

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I've just installed AptBackup through Icy. I've backed-up now.

I've been playing a little with the repo's, does anyone have the repo that the 'cydia installer' is actually in <--- i know thats a dumb noob question

bredfan

Bronze
Dec 15, 2007
Even after all that businesss, Cydia was still acting pretty wonky. So I gave up and restored (new phone). This time used Redsnow to JB.

Granted, it's only been a few hours, but all seems well. Cydia is running awesome, Winterboard works with no discernible lag, and all else seems fine for now.

Apt backup has never worked for me. Tried it twice per BB's instructions, and got burned twice. That was during the 2.x days. Now I don't even bother. Who knows what kind of junk it brings with it.

I've pretty much become resigned to the fact that when dealing with JB'ing, you're best bet is to just start all over. Restoring is a pita, but considering the time I've put into trying to fix issues, it's actually faster and less of a long term headache.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Did you restore from a back up or to factory settings?

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Did you restore from a back up or to factory settings?
you don't need to tell me i told you so... :sneaky:

I did sync from back-up so all the crap is on there also. I'm in the process of restoring and i'm going to use Redsn0w again as it's quite fast and seems ok.