Full WiFi + "No Service" = No Internet Capability

jpbeckham

Jul 30, 2007
I'm finding that in buildings where AT&T service is not available (i.e. no bars, "No Service" is displayed) but where I have full Wifi, I still have no capability to go anywhere on Safari, get email or use maps....

Has anyone else experienced this? I assumed that if I had one or the other (AT&T or Wifi) I'd still have data transfer capability.

Comments or suggestions?

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
I'm finding that in buildings where AT&T service is not available (i.e. no bars, "No Service" is displayed) but where I have full Wifi, I still have no capability to go anywhere on Safari, get email or use maps....

Has anyone else experienced this? I assumed that if I had one or the other (AT&T or Wifi) I'd still have data transfer capability.

Comments or suggestions?
As long as there is wi-fi, and it's either wide open or you have a password to access it, you should be able to get to the Net, for Email, Web browsing etc.

Do you know you have the authority to use the wi-fi your machine can see?

jpbeckham

Jul 30, 2007
As long as there is wi-fi, and it's either wide open or you have a password to access it, you should be able to get to the Net, for Email, Web browsing etc.

Do you know you have the authority to use the wi-fi your machine can see?

Yes, I'm talking about "public" networks in public buildings. I first get the familiar "Could not activate Edge" message and then I get "Safari can't open the page because it can't find the network" type message. If I walk outside the "dead zone" and pick up phone bars, it hops back on Edge and onto the net. I'm seeing this consistently....

Sure would like to be online when my phone service is out--I work in a metal building office and it's a deadzone for the At&T service...

garymooks

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Full wifi + "No Service" WORKS for me!

Hi
I had the same issue..No service inside my office..but Full WiFi available.
I was able to connect and browse and email without any problems..
After a few days the WiFi access stopped working..
I did Reset Network under General..in the settings..
SHUT Down the iPhone(don't know if this matters)
Configured my Wifi all overe again... and Now I am Cruisin...

HTH
Gary:cool:

Sidenote:My Office WiFi shows 2 bars only..but the speed is significantly reduced than my Home network(which varies between 2 or 3)

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
I have been in a couple places and experienced the no service but have had full wifi connection and i haven't had any problems using safari or any of the internet related services on the phone. Have you been somewhere else with no service and full wifi to test if it is the wifi network at work giving you the problems and not the phone?

jpbeckham

Jul 30, 2007
Full Wifi + "No Service" = Still No Internet Capability

I was hoping that would get it, but still no worky. I reset the Network Settings, rebooted and re-acquired my company's default router. I have a beautiful full bar WiFi symbol, the "No Service" displayed where At&T's bars should display....and no internet capability.
Whenever I check email, for instance, I get "Unable to activate Edge" and then "Safari can't open the page" or "Can't find the server" messages....
Gary (or anybody else)....any other ideas?

jpbeckham

Jul 30, 2007
Yes, I've experienced this No Service with Full Wifi at 2 different locations/cities, so I don't think it's my network....although I guess it's possible it's some setting I need to change....

iPhobos

Bronze
Jul 25, 2007
check with your it department and ask them if you need a specific ip address for phone and check and make sure you have the correct DNS suffix

Genie Mar

Jul 31, 2007
CA
WiFi becomes useless

Hi

I have the same problem. In certain spots of my building, I don't get any phone or Edge signal, and even with full WiFi connection I cannot use my iPhone. I asked a local AT&T store, the techncian there confirmed that WiFi connection becomes useless when there is no phone/edge connection. This is very disappointing. If there is not such a constraint, we then should be able to use iPhone even outside US when there is only Wifi.

Cheers,
G.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
Hi

I have the same problem. In certain spots of my building, I don't get any phone or Edge signal, and even with full WiFi connection I cannot use my iPhone. I asked a local AT&T store, the techncian there confirmed that WiFi connection becomes useless when there is no phone/edge connection. This is very disappointing. If there is not such a constraint, we then should be able to use iPhone even outside US when there is only Wifi.

Cheers,
G.
Your AT&T tech doesn't know what they are talking about!

Wi-fi works perfectly for Email/Web/google maps etc without EDGE.

That's the whole point of it.

The only things that don't work without EDGE are phone calls and voicemail.

The only thing stopping people from using wi-fi is configuration issues either with the wi-fi or the iPhone or both.

garymooks

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
Hi Jp
When you have full service on the wifi..can you click on the ">" at the far right..This takes you to a screen which has DHCP,BootP,Static.
Do you have any values for ipaddress,subnet,router and DNS under DHCP?
In my case..my wifi signal is very low(1 bar)..and every time my iPhone sleeps I lose the wifi connection and when I "wake" up the iPhone after some time it takes several tries before I can get connected..
Here is what i did..I noted down the values for the parameters (ip,subnet etc) and entered them under the STATIC tab..
This seems to alleviate the problem and I can connect every time the iPhone "wakes up".

HTH
Gary :)

jpbeckham

Jul 30, 2007
iPhone in a lunchbox....

Hi Jp
When you have full service on the wifi..can you click on the ">" at the far right..This takes you to a screen which has DHCP,BootP,Static.
Do you have any values for ipaddress,subnet,router and DNS under DHCP?
In my case..my wifi signal is very low(1 bar)..and every time my iPhone sleeps I lose the wifi connection and when I "wake" up the iPhone after some time it takes several tries before I can get connected..
Here is what i did..I noted down the values for the parameters (ip,subnet etc) and entered them under the STATIC tab..
This seems to alleviate the problem and I can connect every time the iPhone "wakes up".

HTH
Gary :)
Hey Gary,
Thanks for your help on this thread. Turns out that your initial suggestions fixed my problem. As with most problems, mine was a combination of several things. Recreating my network settings fixed my iPhone problem. But we're have a router issue at work that I wasn't aware of, also.
BTW, I found that you can easily recreate the "No Service" condition to test your Wifi functionality by sticking the iPhone in your kid's metal lunchbox. Leave it for a minute and peak in to see "No Service". If you have that, launch to a website, shut the lid and peek again to verify that you have correct switch-over to the Wifi. Mine flies in the lunchbox now! (Yes, I have stooped so low....)
Thanks,
Jim

passani

Sep 2, 2007
same problem in italy

Hi
I had the same issue..No service inside my office..but Full WiFi available.
I was able to connect and browse and email without any problems..
After a few days the WiFi access stopped working..
I did Reset Network under General..in the settings..
SHUT Down the iPhone(don't know if this matters)
Configured my Wifi all overe again... and Now I am Cruisin...
I am experiencing the same problem. Resetting the settings did not help.

I have a iPhone with ATT pre-paid card and no ATT signal (I am in italy).
WiFi is recognized and apparently enabled, but safari and other apps keep complaining that servers are not reachable. For the record, PSP works with my WiFi without problems. so, there does seem to be a connection between WiFi and availability of ATT signal.

Luca

Nismoto

Sep 8, 2007
Me two, me three, ...

I'm going nuts! I have the same problem as others. I am in my house where I do not get a cell phone signal but I am connected to my wireless network with a full signal (not E but full WiFi fan). The wireless worked for a minute or two and has never worked since.

When I try to browse, Safari tells me it can't open the page because it can't find the server.

I have had my D-Link DI-524 router for almost two years and do not have problems with the setup. I have three PCs, laptop, Wii and 2 PSPs that can ALL connect. The only problems I have had in the past is with a MacBook and now my iPhone.

I tried resetting my network settings on the iPhone but that didn't help. I turned of MAC filtering on my router and that didn't help either. I use both static and DHCP and tried both one at a time and neither worked. With DHCP my iPhone does show up in my router's DHCP list with a current lease.

I don't know what else to say,... HELP!

passani

Sep 2, 2007
I actually fixed the problem...

---the password was wrong! my bad. You may want to check your password again...

Luca

I'm going nuts! I have the same problem as others. I am in my house where I do not get a cell phone signal but I am connected to my wireless network with a full signal (not E but full WiFi fan). The wireless worked for a minute or two and has never worked since.

When I try to browse, Safari tells me it can't open the page because it can't find the server.

I have had my D-Link DI-524 router for almost two years and do not have problems with the setup. I have three PCs, laptop, Wii and 2 PSPs that can ALL connect. The only problems I have had in the past is with a MacBook and now my iPhone.

I tried resetting my network settings on the iPhone but that didn't help. I turned of MAC filtering on my router and that didn't help either. I use both static and DHCP and tried both one at a time and neither worked. With DHCP my iPhone does show up in my router's DHCP list with a current lease.

mrloofer

Jul 9, 2007
I have the same problem and I can tell you there is no relation between a no AT&T signal and a wi-fi connection because I have a hacked phone and it works fine with my home wi-fi network.

Now what's weird is the hotspot wi-fi network I'm trying to connnect to is open with full signal. I have side by side my iPhone and my t-mobile Dash. The Dash connects fine to the network but the iPhone doesn't.

Have tried resetting everything too, totally weird..

mobilehavoc

Bronze
Jul 12, 2007
iPhone runs a version of OSX like Macbooks which have known issues with certain routers with older firmware versions.

For people having issues with their own wireless router, make sure you update your router to the latest firmware since there was a known issue with Macbooks that was fixed through router firmwares a year ago or so.

The issue I'm aware of had to do with the fact that a Macbook (and in this case an iPhone) was unable to negotiate DHCP to get an IP address assigned.

To test this, if your knowledgeable, assign a static IP with pertinent info and see if it will connect.

Either way, there's no harm in updating your router to the latest firmware from the mfr's site. Good luck.

markor

Sep 28, 2007
WIFI ok, but NO SERVICE

to make things more complicated, I have WIFI working just great anywhere I go, but just now NO SERVICE appeared in a room where the GSM network is just 100% on every other phone. I inserted different sims, I reseted the network settings, I restarted the phone several times. any suggestion? as this happened after a backup was in progress. Could I corupt some important file to loose the GSM antenna?

as per WIFI problems, take Your iPhones to a different hotspot, to a secured network and input the key, if You see it working elsewhere check Your setting. check Your airplane mode is off, check Your wifi network connection settings, don't try at rush hour.

thanks.

denise22

Oct 4, 2007
this is exactly my problem!

in my office my iPhone sees my router.. accepts the password, shows me full wifi bars,

then when i try to load a page, it cant find server.. and kicks me out to edge. i have a very weak phone signal in here... but don't think thats an issue.

i have reset network settings on iPhone, tried "open dsn", disabbled mac addressing on the router, everything i could get my hands on, but nothing has worked..

now, it know its not my phone, cause at home in my apartment, i pick up my neighbors connection flawlessly,,, he does not bother to lock his router... thankfully...

but here at my office... i am getting ready to jump out the window over this stupid wifi setup... and the funny thing is i have 10 macs here all on the network and a few pcs to boot, i don't really need to connect the iPhone, i just want to see the damn thing work for once! help!
could it be a firmware update on the router? :mad:

markor

Sep 28, 2007
NO SERVICE - FIX this time works

I started of 1.1.1
remove T-Mobile SIM
reinsert AT&T sim
iTunes restore na 1.0.2
iTunes error
iTunes cannot see iPhone (only restore to 1.1.1 possible)
DFU mod, 10sec HOME+POWER 10sec HOME
cable+iTunes logo on LCD
iBrickr - restore to 1.0.2
new 1.0.2 installed, LOCKED
iBrickr to jailbreak, 3 CLICKS
iTunes restore 1.0.2
fresh 1.0.2 from iTunes
wInstaller, jailbreak, activate
Installer cannot update, package size missmatch
wInstaller deactivate, return to jail
iTunes restore 1.0.2
iTunes restore 1.1.1
disconnect from cable
*#307*
jailbreakme.com
settings/general/about = 1.1.1 (3A109a), 04.01.13_G
Auto-Lock - NEVER
Installer update
update community sources
install /System/BSD
install new sources: installer/sources/edit/add/http://i.unlock.no/OK/done/Refresh
install Anysim1.1
eject AT&T sim
insert T-Mobile(your) sim
be sure to be charged, auto-lock to never
launch Anysim
process: stopping commcenter, copying firmware, Sending begin secpack, erasing baseband, waiting for erase completion, flashing baseband, reseting baseband, starting commcenter.
after aprox 6minutes
UNLOCK SUCESSFUL - OK
BOOM YOUR PHONE ON YOUR NETWORK
in my case full signal bars show, but not the carrier logo, be patient.
You can find it in settings.
now reboot if You have the guts.
short circle on black screen when shutting down.
restart - Apple logo on black LCD
spingboard comes, singnal bars + carrier logo.
happy iTouching and TELEPHONY