Full Youtube?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Jul 27, 2007
has anyone noticed that all the videos on youtube aren't available on the iPhone

example if you search for the band musical youth on the iPhone it does not show nearly as many results as on a computer with youtube.

Does anyone know why?

mike3141

Bronze
Jun 22, 2007
Videos on YouTube have to be converted to H.264 format before you can watch them on your iPhone. Initially, they converted the 10,000 easiest videos and have said that they'll have all of them converted sometime this fall.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
has anyone noticed that all the videos on youtube aren't available on the iPhone

example if you search for the band musical youth on the iPhone it does not show nearly as many results as on a computer with youtube.

Does anyone know why?
YouTube's videos have all been encoded in Flash format, which the iPhone can't read. To fix this, Apple cut a deal with YouTube to have them convert all of their videos to a different format that iPhone will read - H.264. At launch YouTube had converted about 10,000 of their videos to H.264 and "promised" to have them ALL converted by this fall.

Many doubt that they are really still converting as we are not really seeing the selection increase in the past month. Also, those who have created new videos on YouTube since iPhone's launch have noticed that their videos are not being instantly encoded in H.264 format, but rather the older Flash format.

Hopefully, this could possibly mean that Apple is deciding to accept Flash on the iPhone which would mean they might have told YouTube to stop converting as it wouldn't be necessary anymore.

SheepNutz

Jul 22, 2007
Apple should have just used flash in the first place. This is the only thing I hate about the iPhone. It should be on there, but users should be able to turn it off if it's slowing down their web experience.

Jul 27, 2007
I agree. flash is almost essential to a full internet experience and should have been included with the release. Im happy to hear Apple may include flash.

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
All of you guys are correct, and I am sure Apple has already addressed these features on the upcoming update, we just have to be patient.

As mentioned in the tips thread, you can search for a specific video that you want to watch on youtube on video.google.com ! Once all of the videos come up , you can watch any video that has the google video URL under it, not the youtube. Click on the video to watch, on the right it will say download for mac/pc or w/e then click and select iPod/psp, then download and it will stream on your phone!

Sounds complicated or like a hassle but seriously its easy as anything.

Martin

SheepNutz

Jul 22, 2007
See, I'm worried that Apple isn't going to release flash on the iPhone. If they were going to put flash on a recent update, why would they go through the trouble of having youtube convert all of their videos (or at least the ones they've converted so far)?

iLLGT2

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
NY/LI
See, I'm worried that Apple isn't going to release flash on the iPhone. If they were going to put flash on a recent update, why would they go through the trouble of having youtube convert all of their videos (or at least the ones they've converted so far)?
There will DEFINITELY be an update for flash on the iPhone.. Even if its isn't in the update from Apple, Adobe will have a downloadable one for the phone somehow, like when I got it for my past Windows Mobile based 8125!

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
There will DEFINITELY be an update for flash on the iPhone.. Even if its isn't in the update from Apple, Adobe will have a downloadable one for the phone somehow, like when I got it for my past Windows Mobile based 8125!
Thing is Apple isn't letting anyone make their own programs / installs, only making web 2.0 based applications through safari, they will have to cut a deal with adobe to have that done or include it themselves in an update.