Functional questions - new user

Overscore

Feb 15, 2008
Chester County, PA
Hi forum. My wife got me an iPhone for Valentine's Day, so I've only been playing around with it for a couple of days. Here are some questions that I have not been able to find answers to:
  1. Is there a way to select many e-mails at once to delete them? It seems that I have to either slide and delete each e-mail, or go into "edit" mode and tap and delete. It's still just one message at a time as I scroll through the list in my inbox.
  2. For a POP account, is there a way to set it to leave the message on the server? I didn't see that, so I setup a second POP account that gets copies of my e-mail that I just use with the iPhone.
  3. Although I have the new mail sound notification turned on, I have yet to hear it make a sound. I do not have it in vibrate mode. Does it only play a sound if you are actively using the device when new mail arrives? I have my e-mail set to auto download at a specific interval, and it does download as expected.
  4. It appears that sounds for new voicemail, new e-mail, sent mail, calendar alerts, lock sounds, and keyboard clicks cannot be customized. Is this true?
Thanks,

Overscore

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
1. No
4. Yes
I am on the iPhone or I would give you longer answers. Have fun with new phone and welcome to eic!

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
1. no
2.Go to settings-mail-tap on your account-go to bottom to advanced. Tap on that and you will see delete from server. Tap on that and you will see options for never.
3.Go to settings-sounds.You will see New Mail. Slide the switch to on for sound.
4.Yes. Future updates or when SDK is released may change this. We can only hope.

Misread 3.-It does only sound when you are actively using or if the phone is on since you have it checking at intervals. Just a tip: this method does use more battery.

aggieman

Zealot
Gold
Jul 6, 2007
Dallas, TX
Hi forum. My wife got me an iPhone for Valentine's Day, so I've only been playing around with it for a couple of days. Here are some questions that I have not been able to find answers to:
  1. Is there a way to select many e-mails at once to delete them? It seems that I have to either slide and delete each e-mail, or go into "edit" mode and tap and delete. It's still just one message at a time as I scroll through the list in my inbox.
  2. For a POP account, is there a way to set it to leave the message on the server? I didn't see that, so I setup a second POP account that gets copies of my e-mail that I just use with the iPhone.
  3. Although I have the new mail sound notification turned on, I have yet to hear it make a sound. I do not have it in vibrate mode. Does it only play a sound if you are actively using the device when new mail arrives? I have my e-mail set to auto download at a specific interval, and it does download as expected.
  4. It appears that sounds for new voicemail, new e-mail, sent mail, calendar alerts, lock sounds, and keyboard clicks cannot be customized. Is this true?
Thanks,

Overscore
1. no
2. no
3. try turning your mail sound off in the sound settings and then turning it back on. I hear mine on every mail i receive.
4. you are correct, these cannot be customized on a stock iPhone. However there may be some options to customize these if you jailbreak the phone. There may be a 3rd party app, but i'm running a stock phone so maybe someone else can answer this.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
1. no
2. no
3. try turning your mail sound off in the sound settings and then turning it back on. I hear mine on every mail i receive.
4. you are correct, these cannot be customized on a stock iPhone. However there may be some options to customize these if you jailbreak the phone. There may be a 3rd party app, but i'm running a stock phone so maybe someone else can answer this.
I have a POP account and can leave messages on the server.:)

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
If you decide to jailbreak there is a customize app that lets you change sounds.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
to delete emails faster slide from left to right on the message preview in your inbox. Delete button will come up.