Future of the iPod Classic

Discussion in 'iPod Classic' started by Nexxus, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Nexxus

Nexxus Member
    Bronze

I have a 160gb Classic that I use at home. I just love it. Over the last couple years I've noticed that the focus has been on the Nano and the Touch. Do you think Apple will discontinue the model soon?

2. Nexxus

Nexxus Member
    Bronze

Hmmm. Sorry for the double post but since no one answered the question and seeing the lack of activity in this forum, I guess no one would notice if the classic was discontinued.

3. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

You're right. Who needs it in the day of the iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone 4 or iPad 2 using iCafe app

4. Iloveiphones

Iloveiphones Genius
    Platinum

We would all notice if a important model was discontinued. And I'd like to know the lack in forum activity. I see forum activity on average about every 3-4 minutes, a couple of seconds some days. I think Apple will eventually discontinue the shuffle, but the nano I'm not sure about.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the iCafe app

5. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I think he meant lack of activity in the iPod classic forum.

They still have their uses since they can hold so much more music than an iPhone... But the problem I see with it is that most people just don't have that much music to even bother with an iPod classic. Then you figure the screen is too small to watch videos, and there aren't apps, and the internal hard drive are inherently fragile... I think it's only a matter of time before they're axed.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear they'll be discontinued with the unveiling of iOS 5 and its cloud-based services.

6. Atlas

Atlas Member
    Bronze

Hpoe not since I just got one!

7. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

it's not like they're going to come take yours away...

8. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I for one hope that Apple would someday get back to focusing on media only devices. I doubt it though and I'm probably in the minority. People love apps and love the double duty you get from an iPod touch. Me, I love dedicated devices, but felt the Classic felt "old". It leaves options of either iPod touch vs Classic. Or in my case, you go elsewhere.

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

What's wrong with the Nanos? Not enough space?

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Too small and not a fan of the new one. Tough to navigate while running or working out.

I have an 8gb (3rd or 4th gen). I use it on occasion, but it's not a complete PMP.

11. canamera

canamera Zealot
    Gold

I have an 80GIG classic which I haven't touched since first buying my iPhone 3G... Not even sure where it is anymore, lol. Haven't bothered selling it, and probably won't either....I'll probably just hand it down to my grandkids, so they can see how us old timers used to listen to music.

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

12. Syamil

Syamil Member
    Bronze

Hope they would put to Hall of Fame or something. It's nostalgic. Who can remember the black and red U2 version? With the band's members signature at the back?

I badly want one. The newest seems too big for me. Probably searching for 5th or 4th gen on eBay.

13. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I still have the original iPod somewhere. It was my wife's and she absolutely loved it. It's funny to look at it now compared to say the iPod touch.

14. policy140

policy140 New Member

i have a 160 gig classic, but have no idea how it works. when i load music videos that i copy from my dvds using handbrake, it loads them as movies and says i have no music videos, but they're also shown under video playlist.
    bc it doesn't see them as music videos i can't shuffle them (not to mention they're loaded twice, taking up twice the memory).
    i can't shuffle the wav files on it either. i have to shuffle them in iyunes on my imac, and then drag them to the classic.
    other than that it's a helluva device, i guess. i use the dx to play musis.

looking to liberate my ipod touch.
    droid x on liberty 2.0.1, slightly oc'd

15. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

If you go into Info and select the Options tab, there is a drop down tab that lets you select the Media Kind. It's probably set to Movies. Switch that to Music Videos and perhaps that will work.

Attached Files:

16. policy140

policy140 New Member

thank you. i'll try that.

looking to liberate my ipod touch.
    droid x on liberty 2.0.1, slightly oc'd

17. Bone

Bone Zealot
    Gold

I love my 160g iPod! It stays hooked up in my truck at all times. There is no other device that holds so much content. I also have one of the original 20g iPods. I would be very upset if they were discontinued.

18. IllusionEntity

IllusionEntity Evangelist
    Gold

I believe Apple may continue to sell the classic as it is today. It would be cool to see a retina display on the classic though.

19. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

I bet one of two things will happen within a year:

1) classic will be discontinued
    2) classic will lose its HDD in favor of 128 GB flash memory

20. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

The classic actually has a hard disk drive? Spinning platters, etc...?