Future of the iPod Classic

Nexxus

Bronze
Dec 1, 2007
Still use my 20g classic in my alarm clock when my iPhone doesn't need charging at night. Can't believe it still works, has to be no less than 8 years old.
My very old iPod 4 gb mini still works. I couldn't believe it. I also have a very very old HP iPaq ( pre iPod era) that still works too.

NickyGG

Oct 15, 2011
I love my iPod Classic. I don't keep music on my iPad and just listen to music on the iPod Classic. It stores a ton and it's all organized. I had an old iPod but it did finally break and the Classic was my replacement a few years ago around the time they came out I think. It's old too now but it still works well.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
I predict that once the iPod Touch 5G comes out with 128GB, the Classic will be discontinued. iPod Shuffle might be discontinued in two years.

Jan 19, 2012
Massachusetts
I have a silver iPod classic and love it as well. I've been planning an iPhone, but prefer to keep my music separate from my phone in most cases, and use it in my car, etc. It works much better that way for me.

I have not and still don't see the point in having an iPod Touch along with an iPhone, so I'm happy I opted for the Classic.

E

Eddie.S

I too strongly think that Apple will discontinue iPod classic soon.The main reason is worldwide hard-drive shortages that could impact on Apple's bottom line; Apple's shift to the cloud regarding music; and its increasing focus on iOS.

Jan 23, 2013
As a firm believer in being able to have all of my music everywhere that I go, I hope for a larger iPod Classic in the future. I have a 160 gig now and it honestly isn't enough. I collect music from friends so that on long trips there is never a need for a repeated song, and if someone else wants to listen to a song, I usually have it. And when you have multiple longer songs like I do, you only end up with about 30,000 songs. Which to many seems a little much, but I wish I had a way to have more without having to worry about space. The only problem is nobody makes larger media players without dishing out money for a tablet.

Also, I understand the problem with the hard drives, having had 2 die in the past and replacing a hard drive in a friend's 30 gig iPod video back in the day. It would be nice to have flash memory in the Classic, but it will not be cost effective anywhere in the near future. When I can go out and buy a flash drive big enough to hold my music in one place I'll build my own mp3 play with everything it needs if need be, but for now the ability to have almost a fifth of a terabyte in my pocket for music is all I can hope for.

Jan 23, 2013
First, there is no way they will be able to make an iPhone with that much space cost effective anytime soon. Flash memory is too expensive to had that much storage in such a small space. I agree that if Apple released a higher memory iPod touch or iPhone the classic would be rendered obsolete. However for many people the classic was what they started with. They like the interface. They like that nobody kills the battery playing angry birds while waiting for stuff. The classic is simply the perfect media player for someone who wants only something for music and the occasional video. It is by no means perfect. But Apple needs to realize that many people have built super libraries and need more storage. Because my classic is literally down to less than 5 gigs

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
As a firm believer in being able to have all of my music everywhere that I go, I hope for a larger iPod Classic in the future. I have a 160 gig now and it honestly isn't enough. I collect music from friends so that on long trips there is never a need for a repeated song, and if someone else wants to listen to a song, I usually have it. And when you have multiple longer songs like I do, you only end up with about 30,000 songs. Which to many seems a little much, but I wish I had a way to have more without having to worry about space. The only problem is nobody makes larger media players without dishing out money for a tablet.

Also, I understand the problem with the hard drives, having had 2 die in the past and replacing a hard drive in a friend's 30 gig iPod video back in the day. It would be nice to have flash memory in the Classic, but it will not be cost effective anywhere in the near future. When I can go out and buy a flash drive big enough to hold my music in one place I'll build my own mp3 play with everything it needs if need be, but for now the ability to have almost a fifth of a terabyte in my pocket for music is all I can hope for.
Have you ever heard of "The Pandora" or "The Spotify"? :D

Sent using iCafe app

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
First, there is no way they will be able to make an iPhone with that much space cost effective anytime soon. Flash memory is too expensive to had that much storage in such a small space. I agree that if Apple released a higher memory iPod touch or iPhone the classic would be rendered obsolete. However for many people the classic was what they started with. They like the interface. They like that nobody kills the battery playing angry birds while waiting for stuff. The classic is simply the perfect media player for someone who wants only something for music and the occasional video. It is by no means perfect. But Apple needs to realize that many people have built super libraries and need more storage. Because my classic is literally down to less than 5 gigs
ImageUploadedByiCafe Forums1359549376.154597.jpg

Sent using iCafe app