FYI: 2.0 not compatible w/ Outlook 2003

rmfnla

Bronze
I use a new Dell laptop with Vista Office and Outlook 2003. My V.1 iPhone synced up great with the Outlook calendar but had issues with Outlook Contacts. I didn't mind; I just used Windows Contacts for back-up and all was well.

I updated to 2.0 and the calendar stopped syncing and I kept getting an error message telling me the Outlook ClientSync was not working but Microsoft would notify me when it was fixed (I'll hold my breath...).

To make a long story not quite so long, I got my 3G last week, did the sync, and while all my settings, contacts & photos were restored from the back-up I had the same problems with the Outlook calendar and got the same error message.

A not-so-quick call to Apple support (their customer service is getting slammed) revealed that Outlook 2007 (SP1) is required for 2.0, regardless of which iPhone you have.

If it isn't something, it's always something else...

Jun 16, 2008
Tinley Park, IL
yeah, I had that same problem but I was lucky enough to get my hands on a copy of outlook 2007.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 SP3 running on Windows XP and I have had no problems syncing contacts. I don't use the calendar on Outlook so I'm not sure about that.

I also have an iPhone 3G 16GB with 2.0 (5A347).

flipper421

Bronze
Jul 13, 2008
Oregon
I also have MS Office 2003 on XP syncing just fine with Outlook. I did have some problems initially but went to Apple support for iPhone and found the work around. Something about 2003 version that iPhone had a problem with. They list the solution there. Give it a try.

i-Fred

Jul 3, 2007
San Carlos, CA
I sync Outlook 2007 calendar/contacts to my ip3g, and my wife syncs Outlook 2003 calendar/contacts -- no problems with either. Initially I couldn't sync 2007, but exporting/deleting/re-importing all calendar entries fixed that.

Jul 12, 2008
Our MIS dept..after a week of struggle, got our exchange 2003 working. I now sync work calendar and contacts. Kudos to them.

NOTES: I am not on the Enterprise plan, I pay the 30$

Our facility has wireless capabilities...I have to make sure I am not connected to our guest wireless for it to work. It works in 3G. (if it works in 3g only, I don't know yet).