FYI: How I keep from losing all of my contacts!

Being someone who tends to reformat/resync/mess up my PC on a regular basis, I have found a spiffy way to keep track of my contacts and calendar events, no matter what I do.

All through the joy of Google!

Thought I'd post a reminder link for those who might have missed it and for those who haven't yet tried it.

http://www.google.com/mobile/ios/

Now you can sync your iPhone contacts and calendar, with Gmail for free! Always have a copy of your info on the net!

I also have some Gmail invites left, should anyone still need one. :)

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Speaking of this, do you Google Sync users ever get the situation where, often right after opening a contact, all of your contacts disappear? They come back eventually from the cloud, but it's happened to me on a number of occasions (I'm using Nuevasync... haven't switched over to Google Sync yet), and with a V1 on Edge with 400 contacts, it can take a while.

Just always wondered what caused this. If this never happened with anyone using Google Sync, I guess it's time for me to switch over.

Hmmmmm.....Nope. Never had that happen to me (knock wood) with Google.

I'm on a V1 as well, with about 100 contacts, give or take.

All in all, I'm really happy with the Google Sync thing. And the price is right too! :)

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
No, they don't disappear unless the server is unavailable which I had happen once for like 5 hours! That sucked having no contacts and no calendar. But it came back.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
No, they don't disappear unless the server is unavailable which I had happen once for like 5 hours! That sucked having no contacts and no calendar. But it came back.
I think that's what happens with Nuevasync... I open contacts, and while I look at one, it's checking in the background for changes. I think it establishes the connection, starts to sync, loses it, then thinks there's no contacts. The server side takes precedence, so everything is deleted from the phone until it properly syncs again.

impaler

Silver
Apr 28, 2007
I also have some Gmail invites left, should anyone still need one. :)
Why would anyone need this? Anyone can go get an account without an invite. It's not 2004. :)