G-Map with turn by turn

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
Just checked the store and it looks like G-Map has been updated with turn by turn voice. It's only 34.99 and they say the price will be going up. I'm goin to grab the east and check it out.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Sweet. I think I'm going to get US West to tie me over until Tom Tom is released. It looks like East is still $24.99, while West is $34.99, weird.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Sweet. I think I'm going to get US West to tie me over until Tom Tom is released. It looks like East is still $24.99, while West is $34.99, weird.
West has been updated with turn by turn, East has not, that is the reason for the price difference. So pick up east now while it's cheaper, then you should get a free upgrade.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
I'm waiting on the east update to come out... I did notice that this program runs alittle smoother on the 3gs than it did the 3g. But I think TomTom will be the app to beat in this upcoming battle of the navigation apps.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I really tempted, but after reading the reviews, I just going to hold out for Tom Tom.

jarofclay73

Zealot
Gold
Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
So, the big thing is that you can't play your iPod while using G-Map. I guess if you're not a stickler for music then the price can't go wrong for $34.99.

I probably should wait until Tom Tom comes out.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I got an email from AT&T offering me turn by turn on my iPhone for $9.99 a month, is this their own app I guess because you have to download straight from AT&T's site?

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I got an email from AT&T offering me turn by turn on my iPhone for $9.99 a month, is this their own app I guess because you have to download straight from AT&T's site?
You download it from the App Store. It's a free app, but the subscription gets added onto your monthly AT&T bill.

glsda

Zealot
Gold
Oct 17, 2007
California
Has anyone used g-maps enough to know if it is worth $35? I would appreciate any feed back before I spend $35 on an app. My lovely wife navigates by the 'it feels right' method and thus needs a back up system. Maps are merely a source of frustration to her. Thanks in advance.

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
And the biggest downside to the AT&T app is that it is useless if you have no signal; nothing is cached or stored on the phone. On Edge the map updates are slow.
Ok, so thats not good. It's great that there is others to choose from because I thought that we had to get the AT&T navigation or nothing like you do with Verizon VZ Navigation. I am waiting awhile so please post when you guys find a good one thats worth the money.

Aug 2, 2007
Long Island N.Y.
Has anyone used g-maps enough to know if it is worth $35? I would appreciate any feed back before I spend $35 on an app. My lovely wife navigates by the 'it feels right' method and thus needs a back up system. Maps are merely a source of frustration to her. Thanks in advance.
I bought it when it was 19.00, but I don't think i would pay 35 for it. Reasons... It has been inaccurate about 20 percent of the time, and sometimes it takes the longest way to a destination. It's adequate to use in a pinch though. I'll see what the update does to improve this app but I'm really waiting for TomTom.

cindra

Bronze
Dec 17, 2008
North Carolina
I bought it at $24 and I've had the same experience as aknightstale41. I find it really clunky and not friendly to use at all. Instructions are sadly lacking, too. It's nice to have the little beep before your upcoming turn, but it's been such a pain to use I just use the built-in Maps program 99.9% of the time. I hope they make other improvements with the voice turn-by-turn and it's a free upgrade...I'll not spend another cent on it.

Jul 10, 2009
I purchased the us west version 1.3.1 but cannot find the "settings" screen for the map function that they show in the user guide. Need to go there to set map color, etc.

ZR_Yancy

Genius
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Florida
I like it! I bought it when it was $19. This updated version is much better. The voice guidance is pretty slick. Really clear. I put the voice guidance through my car speakers and it sounded even better. I tested it out setting the fastest route from my house in Jacksonville to a condo on Daytona Beach. It found a better route than I usually take with less traffic. The only problem I've experienced once was the voice guidance said the destination was on my right instead of my left. Other than that, it has worked great for me.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Although I've been waiting for Tom Tom I'm really tempted to get Gmap. Since the MacRumors news about the combination hardware/software solution coming soon from Tom Tom, I'm expecting it to be much more expensive than the simple Gmap app.