Galaxy S4

Status
Not open for further replies.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
A couple of the new features seem okay, but nothing that would entice me away from my iPhone. My company is getting ready to replace our BB with an S3 in the next few months, which I am excited about since my BB is a relic. I am fairly familiar with the Android OS after using my Nexus 7 for about 8 months, until it recently went into an eternal boot cycle and is presumed dead. I would prefer the S4 over the S3, but my company likes to keep us on the edge of last year's innovations when it comes to cell phones.
See if you can get to fastboot mode by holding both the POWER + VOL DWN button. If so then you should be able to repair the N7.

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
See if you can get to fastboot mode by holding both the POWER + VOL DWN button. If so then you should be able to repair the N7.
I tried that multiple times. It looks like it is updating and then starts the endless boot cycle over again.

Feb 3, 2013
Gotta say it looks pretty cool. Not getting rid of my iPhone 5 though

Sent using iCafe app on iPhone 5
Definitely!. S4 is good, but not that handy though. The specs are great but still sticking to iPhone. hihihi

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
All of these great phones, yet I bought a Nexus 4 phone released in November. I suppose that's kind of telling. Partly due to avoidance of any new contract, but also the UI's slapped on the OS. I don't get why they don't offer versions. 16GB Stock, 16GB TouchWiz. Too confusing for customers and carriers I suppose..

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
Definitely!. S4 is good, but not that handy though. The specs are great but still sticking to iPhone. hihihi
Same here, tried the GS3, loved it but missed my iPhone 5 too much, came crawling back :D

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Same here, tried the GS3, loved it but missed my iPhone 5 too much, came crawling back :D
The GS3 was a pretty good phone, but I just couldn't come to grips with the software and some of the apps. I had no problem with the hardware, though. In a side -by-side comparison, though, at least on some screens, the iPhone 5's display was much clearer and less yellow for me. I got eaten alive by a member on another forum for saying that, but I basically told him to shove it and live with it.

liberated

Genius
Gold
Jul 19, 2007
The GS3 was a pretty good phone, but I just couldn't come to grips with the software and some of the apps. I had no problem with the hardware, though. In a side -by-side comparison, though, at least on some screens, the iPhone 5's display was much clearer and less yellow for me. I got eaten alive by a member on another forum for saying that, but I basically told him to shove it and live with it.
That's what I like about this forum, you can say things like that without fear of the fanboy :D. Part of the reason I left the GS3 was because I missed the simplicity and elegance of iOS and also I could not use the GS3 one-handed without feeling like I was going to drop it.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I tried that multiple times. It looks like it is updating and then starts the endless boot cycle over again.
So since you can get to fastboot, that means you can unlock and flash in a replacement recovery and system (ROM) image (getting rid of whatever's been corrupted. The recovery image gets you low level control, things like flashing ROMs, wiping cache, resetting the phone. The ROM is a fresh OS.

A nexus device is pretty much brick proof so long as you've got fastboot. I've deliberately deleted system, data and recovery partitions, shutdown (a 98% empty device) and started over fresh from fastboot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
So since you can get to fastboot, that means you can unlock and flash in a replacement recovery and system (ROM) image (getting rid of whatever's been corrupted. The recovery image gets you low level control, things like flashing ROMs, wiping cache, resetting the phone. The ROM is a fresh OS.

A nexus device is pretty much brick proof so long as you've got fastboot. I've deliberately deleted system, data and recovery partitions (a 98% empty device) and started over from fastboot.

Do I download the Nexus 7 ROM from https://developers.google.com/Android/nexus/images

I appreciate your help iP5, I thought it was bricked for good.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I appreciate your help iP5, I thought it was bricked for good.
I'm assuming you're running Win7 or less or have access to such a box.

you'll need to get/install the adb/fastboot drivers
this will let your computer talk to the N7 in fastboot/adb mode

I think that google dev site wants you to compile your own tools and might assume you're on Unix. Easier to get the Windows files needed here
extract its contents to an empty TEMP folder
rename the adb-toolkit.exe to adb.exe and fastboot-toolkit.exe to fastboot.exe

Grab the right 4.2.2 stock image that applies to your N7 (GSM or Wifi) from https://developers.google.com/Android/nexus/images#nakasijdq39

You'll need 7zip to extract from a *.TGZ archive http://www.7-zip.org/

(assumed you have the wifi N7)
If the *.tgz file isn't associated then open 7zip first, navigate to the nakasi-jdq39-factory-c317339e.tgz file and double click it to see the nakasi-jdq39-factory-c317339e.tar within. Double click that to decompres the nakasi-jdq39 folder. Copy the contents to your TEMP folder where you've got the contents from the adb_fastboot_files_for_4.2.2.zip

Now open a command prompt and navigate to your TEMP folder using the CD command.
Now bring your N7 to fastboot mode and connect to your computer.
Use this command to confirm that your adb/fastboot drivers see the N7.
fastboot devices
mine returns "015d2ebecd0bf20e fastboot" on this inquiry

You'll find the rest of the commands to reset your N7 in the flash-all.sh file. Open it using a notepad or some other text editor. The lines after a # mark are just comments. The first command is 'fastboot oem unlock' which will pop a prompt from your N7 to accept or deny. On the N7, use the volume buttons to navigate and the power button to select.

Follow the remaining commands from the flash-all.sh file.

Good luck.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
This GS4 would interest me.

uploadfromtaptalk1363674435852.jpg

fury

Evangelist
Gold
Oct 23, 2007
Louisville, KY
I wasn't sure whether or not the eight-core CPU would be used in the international models and a four-core in the US variety. At any rate, an eight-core CPU, even if not fully utilized, makes for some great specs whoring.
Not even four cores is fully utilized. It takes that much just to keep the number crunching performance on par with the dual core A6. In real world use, you're only ever using one or two of those cores.

Don't see what the point is in a "1080p" screen when it's pentile. You might as well be staring at a dying CRT screen for all the clarity you get from pentile. And unless they cram a killer GPU in there, it's going to be terribly laggy to boot. Although the iPhone 5 screen still beats all, I prefer the Galaxy Note 2 screen by a wide margin over the Galaxy S3 screen, because it actually has a complete RGB matrix (if maybe an odd arrangement) and thereforee colors are more accurate and text more clear.

I'm more intrigued by the HTC One than this. Better color reproduction, smaller screen, solid design. Still don't see the point in a 1080p phone without a significantly beefier GPU, though. Tegra 4 might suffice, when it comes out.

KeziaPurrs

Bronze
Mar 18, 2013
Houston, TX
I recently switched from a GS3 to an iPhone 5. I loved the speed, look, software, and customization of the gs3 but it was just to big. I have small hands. Now that I'm using the IP5 I'll probably never go back. This phone is awesome!

Sent using iCafe app

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I recently switched from a GS3 to an iPhone 5. I loved the speed, look, software, and customization of the gs3 but it was just to big. I have small hands. Now that I'm using the IP5 I'll probably never go back. This phone is awesome!

Sent using iCafe app
Blasphemer!

Heheh, just kidding. :D

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY

Sent using iCafe app
Welcome to eiC! Thank you for joining and for downloading our app. Much appreciated!(y)

KeziaPurrs

Bronze
Mar 18, 2013
Houston, TX
Welcome to eiC! Thank you for joining and for downloading our app. Much appreciated!(y)
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to learn and share with the amazing members on this site.

Sent using iCafe app

Prozium12

Contributor
Bronze
Jan 22, 2012
Uk,Manchester
Me to I would rather have the htc one it looks and feels great...

Sent using iCafe app

JackRouach

Bronze
Jul 20, 2011
I rather have anything then this [edited] iPhone 5 specially knowing that the next iPhone will be the same just a drop faster...

Sent using iCafe app

Status
Not open for further replies.