Games for the iPhone...If so, file size?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

rotobadger

Aug 11, 2007
I was just pondering...If/when the Apple decides to release games for the iPhone how much disk space do you think they will take up? I'm talking about fully developed, slick games with nice graphics? Does anyone know how big a Nintendo DS game is? I would guess it would be along those lines but who knows? I only have a 4GB so space is limited but games would be great. I bet they come to the iPhone at some point...

skinsgamer

Bronze
Aug 13, 2007
First of all there is no way an iPhone game would be as big as a NDS game. DS games are made by game developers that spend months on the game. Apple is not going to spend time developing a full game and this is not a game system so its not like they are going to hire EA to make the next Need For Speed on the iPhone.

rotobadger

Aug 11, 2007
First of all there is no way an iPhone game would be as big as a NDS game. DS games are made by game developers that spend months on the game. Apple is not going to spend time developing a full game and this is not a game system so its not like they are going to hire EA to make the next Need For Speed on the iPhone.
Not sure I completely agree (regarding developers)...The PC was not designed as a gaming device yet hundreds of millions of dollars are spent annually on games for it. Also, cell phones in general are not gaming devices but there is a large and growing market for them. The iPhone has a ton of processing power and a screen that begs for high resolution games. The only real issue (in my mind) is the lack of a controller. Apple has really changed the way people can look at cell phones and, if the revenue is there, I can't see why they wouldn't design and market some really nice games. The other issue, I suppose, would be file size. If a DS game is, say, 1GB that would surely limit how far they could go into developing a full fledged game for the iPhone.

Regardless, thanks for the answer!:)

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
The biggest DS games are 120megs right now, that would be for a game like Jam Sessions because it uses soo many sound samples to create it's guitar sounds. A game like Mario64:DS is only 8 megs on the other hand.

One thing to keep in mind is that these Games are measured in Bits, not Bytes. It takes 8 bits to make just 1 byte, so a game thats 128megabits is only really 16megabytes.

I used to work on the fringes of the game industry and still have friends that do, so I take posts like this seriously.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
EA has already been confirmed as a third party publisher/developer for iPod games, this also applies to the Touch and ultimately the iPhone.