Gapless Playback Trouble

Sep 19, 2008
Hello!

Ok, anytime I start up iTunes 8.0 now it automatically tries to scan my library for Gpaless Playback Information. I searched around and all I could find on how to disable this function is to change all the propertiesof my songs to "Gapless Playback = NO" I did this, but when I close out iTunes and re-open it, it tries again and all my settings have reverted back. Now, when I cancel this function, which slows everything down as it is trying to scan 15,000 mp3's, it stops, but it restarts again about every 4 minutes or so...doesn't matter what I am doing it just starts trying to scan again!

Is there some way to permanently disable this function? I don't use it, I have no need for it, why should I be forced to accept it?

Any help is appreciated thanks...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
there is no reason iTunes should be behaving like that... it could very well be corrupt or installed improperly. i would uninstall it, re-download iTunes 8 from Apple, and reinstall the new downloaded version.

Sep 19, 2008
I have re-installed iTunes twice now and I still have the same problem. When I try to synch my iPhone, it will start the gapless playback search and interrupt the synch...this is driving me crazy....I just want an "OFF" switch for this stupid thing, is that too much to ask for?

If anybody knows of a way to disable this permanently please elt me know. Thank You.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Have you tried taking all media off your phone, then resyncing it? I've had albums that would continually resync every time I connected the phone for whatever reason (never did figure it out). You must have something in there where the gapless information isn't being collected properly, prompting iTunes to try and redo it each time.

If that doesn't work, I'm sorry to say, a restore of your iPhone is probably the only thing that will fix it.

Sep 19, 2008
The problem isn't with the iPhone, it's with iTunes. It does it even when the phone is not connected. In fact, it does it every time I open iTunes. Immediately right off the bat. iTunes initiates the scan, and does it randomly...it just sometimes happens to coincide with the synching of the iPhone.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
I have re-installed iTunes twice now and I still have the same problem. When I try to synch my iPhone, it will start the gapless playback search and interrupt the synch...this is driving me crazy....I just want an "OFF" switch for this stupid thing, is that too much to ask for?

If anybody knows of a way to disable this permanently please elt me know. Thank You.
Did you completely remove iTunes and Quick Time and all files associated with either program before trying to reinstall? It's a royal PITA to accomplish this but you might have better luck with curing your problem if you're able to completely remove all traces of iTunes before trying to reinstall.