Jul 23, 2007
Los Angeles
www.theplasticguys.com

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Competition is good.

This will be competition. Anyone who says that doesn't look attractive isn't being honest with themselves.

My Garnin Nuvi 680 already pairs with my iPhone so I can make calls right from the GPS screen. I also get my contacts and I get the option to ignore or answer the call just like they show on that screen. It will be a nice phone for sure but I already have two 680 GPS units and 2 iPhones. I don't need anything else.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
the copies are getting better...

...still not quite there, yet.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
This is the best 'copy' yet. Nicely done, not created in haste like the Voyager.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
I know this thread will bring out the "lovers" and the "haters", of which I am neither....

... but I must say, I do miss a matte finish in my phone. Shiny is impressive upon first glance, but matte finish looks best over the lifetime of the phone, and it's much easier to hold on to.

iCreep

Bronze
Nov 14, 2007
This is the best 'copy' yet. Nicely done, not created in haste like the Voyager.
Which is a total piece of junk. I went into the Verizon store with my girlfriend, because she has Verizon, and pulled out my iPhone and as soon as I did there were the customer assistant people from the Verizon store walking up to me saying "Oh, is that the iPhone?". I actually got to talk to the actual head guy at the Verizon guy at the store and after I showed him all of the available features for the iPhone he leaned into me and said, "To be completely honest with you, our new phone the voyager or whatever it's called, has absolutely nothing on the iPhone." And I actually had some people saying they were going to switch from Verizon to AT&T just because they had seen what the phone can do haha.

It was totally awesome.

iCreep.

KeKe

Bronze
Dec 26, 2007
the phone is probably the best copy I've seen but I personally think the look of the phone isn't all that :/

gcvt

Zealot
Gold
Jun 21, 2007
San Francisco
Doesn't look too bad to me at all. But, it's no iPhone...yet :)

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
I've only looked at it briefly, but Garmin will bring big time GPS experience to the table. I had a Garmin Nuvi 650 and it was pretty awesome. This announcement will just light a fire under Apple to offer a complimentary GPS product. Wasn't there a rumored Garmin GPS accessory not so long ago?

tyoung

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
So Cal
Now that actually looks like some real competition to the iPhone. Looks good.

Scottshotz

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
I'll buy if I can. Guess I'm locked into iPhone for another year.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
Not bad. iPhone is still better looking in my opinion pphysically and software wise. Pretty cool though.

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I've only looked at it briefly, but Garmin will bring big time GPS experience to the table. I had a Garmin Nuvi 650 and it was pretty awesome. This announcement will just light a fire under Apple to offer a complimentary GPS product. Wasn't there a rumored Garmin GPS accessory not so long ago?
I will have to look back at threads but there was a company, not Garmin, that was supposed to release a GPS device that plugged into the 30-pin bottom the phone. I don't recall if it used a jailbroken phone or if if even mentioned it.

As for this Garmin, I will be looking into it. I would need to see how the phone part works, which is my major gripe on the iPhone. Frankly I am getting tired of the ATT/iPhone combo for phone service - highly unreliable. Features on the iPhone are alright, the release of the SDK and what comes of that will determine if I cancel my iPhone plan.

The thing with the Voyager is that, while selling like hotcakes, is very cheap feeling. If I never picked up the iPhone I wonder if I would have felt that way as the iPhone has always felt very solid on hand (other then the occasional fear that I will drop it which I never felt with a phone before). The voyager is also locked into the software from Verizon which is something I really hate about them, even though in my experience the phone service from the in Salt Lake City is vastly superior to ATT.

MundoGrande

Bronze
Jan 26, 2008
The voyager is also locked into the software from Verizon which is something I really hate about them, even though in my experience the phone service from the in the whole country is vastly superior to ATT.
Fixed for you. :laugh2:

greenjbhsd

Silver
Jul 13, 2007
I am going to watch this one closely. If this will deliver what it promises I might be tossing my iPhone aside. Obviously there needs to be more information released on this, Garmin already started a site for this, looks very promising!

http://www8.garmin.com/nuvifone/

iCafe

Dec 11, 2007
www.wwtdd.com
i already have a tom-tom one GPS so this phone serves no purpose to me
i guess its good for people without a gps though
but still id rather iPhone -gps then this

JW22

Jan 21, 2008
It's a really good thing this wasn't announced before I bought my phone last month, it probably would have made me wait. That phone is just about the perfect phone...I didn't look closely enough, so I didn't notice if it had anything to compete with the iPod portion of the the iPhone.
Like iCafe states, I'd rather have an iPhone with the same type of GPS software. With any luck this will spur Apple to get GPS into the next gen phone and/or offer a GPS add-on.