Gas prices!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It's just gonna get worse. America has had it easy.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I'm in Los Angeles, and gas sucks... The lady drives an 8 cylinder which is just murdering our budget. Its like financially supporting a kid, lol!

I've gotten rid of my own car and bought a little Honda Metro to drive to work now, I only live 3 miles away from my office thankfully :) Yeah its not the fastest, or most masculine thing on two wheels, but at only 3 dollars a month for gas I could care less! I just keep telling myself "I'd actually be cool if I was in NY or Europe!"

OMFG don't even get me started on the gas prices in Europe... ...and they pay by the liter!

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
OMFG don't even get me started on the gas prices in Europe... ...and they pay by the liter!
Seriously. We have no room to complain. Welcome to the real world... fossil fuels SUCK. Let's see how long it takes over $4 a gallon before the petro and auto markets come to grips with reality and move on to something that actually works. It's just ridiculous we've held on to gas for this long... sad.

Aren't Metros Chevy... formerly Geo?

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Seriously. We have no room to complain. Welcome to the real world... fossil fuels SUCK. Let's see how long it takes over $4 a gallon before the petro and auto markets come to grips with reality and move on to something that actually works. It's just ridiculous we've held on to gas for this long... sad.

Aren't Metros Chevy... formerly Geo?
Honda Metropolitan, sorry Metro is what us scoot folk call it for short. Think of a Vespa without the high maintenance and you've got a Honda Metropolitan.

Gas sucked in Europe, we were paying 80 dollars to fill up our 10 gallon rental tank the last time we were in Greece. :( Really put a damper on things, its not that we didn't have the money, it just sucked to be spending more on 1 liter of gas than a gallon back in the states.

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I've gotten rid of my own car and bought a little Honda Metro to drive to work now
Honda doesn't make a Metro. I know of a Geo Metro, but Honda doesn't make one! What are you smokin? lol

crap, just noticed the reply to that post.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Honda doesn't make a Metro. I know of a Geo Metro, but Honda doesn't make one! What are you smokin? lol

crap, just noticed the reply to that post.
And you call yourself a Hondamaker?

Good day sir.

I BELIEVE I SAID GOOD DAY!

heh jk

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
And you call yourself a Hondamaker?

Good day sir.

I BELIEVE I SAID GOOD DAY!

heh jk
Lol... check yer tone when addressing the mighty hondamaker!

I googled a metropolitan, and all I get is this:

I know you're only going three miles, but surely you're sportin' something more robust than this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hondamaker

Genius
Gold
May 14, 2007
Fairborn, Ohio
I googled Honda Metropolitan and came up with the same thing. I know nothing of the Honda scooters, I must admit, since I build V-6's. Strange, Vespa-looking 'bike'. :eek:

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Yep, thats what I'm riding, thats even the same color! I don't have the windshield however.

My other car is a Mercedes ML500, so the testosterone kinda spills over onto the Metro in the garage, lol!

I'm just trying to save money right now for either a Mini or 350z, kinda hard when the Corrado got 12 mph from all the damned mods I did to it, and the Merc only gets around 18 on a good day. The Merc has since been passed on to the Lady for the time being. Her Buick was on its last legs and I couldn't have my lady taking the bus to work :p

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Honda Metropolitan, sorry Metro is what us scoot folk call it for short.
Scoot folk! It's fun to put two and two together.

Honda's a big company.

for the record i figured it out before the previous post ^^^

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
Unleaded regular is averaging $3.73 in these parts. Premium (what our cars take) is almost $4! On the neighbor islands, regular is already over $4!

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
The really sad thing about the high gas prices is that it has no effect on policymakers. Simple supply and demand suggests that the higher the price of gas, the more people will look for alternatives. Most of us need our cars to get from point A to point B. For us, demand is rather inflexible and we tend to eat the cost.

Another alternative is for politicians to impose fuel standards on automakers or encourage the development of alternative technologies. I recall being shocked to find out the degree of lobbying by foreign oil interests putting pressure on the government to not start cutting demand.

What we need is a correction. Something to give the world a swift kick in the pants. Demand is not only up in the US, but China and India have extremely booming economies.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
The really sad thing about the high gas prices is that it has no effect on policymakers. Simple supply and demand suggests that the higher the price of gas, the more people will look for alternatives.
Hawaii was the only state (I'm aware of) to pass a mandated gas price cap. This failed miserably. The gas stations just pushed up the price to the max under the cap and we had the highest prices in the nation.

This stupid lesson in "supply and demand' should have been obvious BEFORE it was implemented. Last years fixing of the prices, showed the gas companies that Hawaii drivers would pay $3.75 a gallon and not modify our driving or buying habits. Guess what? We now have gas at 3.75 a gallon! Big surprise huh?

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
I was listening to a podcast about the trucker situation. I didn't realize that many truckers can't pass the added cost to the customers. They end up eating the cost or going out of businesss. It clearly is a cat and mouse game. And we, the public, smell like cheese.

Colin

Bronze
Dec 25, 2007
The government has no businesss getting involved, but if they really wanted to effect a change, they could tax the crap out of gas, and use the revenues to fund alternative fuels (and not ethanol).

Of course, I don't trust them to make the best use of the tax money so I'd rather see the private sector working on this.

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
Actually, the government (federal, state and local) already tax the hell out of gas. I completely agree with you that the marketplace should find a way of working this out. Consuming crops as a fuel source makes absolutely no sense. Encouraging industry to do so makes no sense as well. Where government could help, if it took things seriously, is to encourage the nation in the same spirit of the 60s space race, to use our collective resources to encourage the market place to develop the technologies needed to curb our voracious fuel diet.

As an analog, consider this insanity. Natural gas has become a popular and convenient energy source for power plants. It has to be burned, converted to electricity and transmitted to its destination. Factor in the loss rates and you can see the stupidity of relying on this energy source for other than home heating. Many people can't afford the rising energy costs. Robbing Peter to pay for Paul makes no sense.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
...I've gotten rid of my own car and bought a little Honda Metro to drive to work now, I only live 3 miles away from my office thankfully :) Yeah its not the fastest, or most masculine thing on two wheels, but at only 3 dollars a month for gas I could care less! I just keep telling myself "I'd actually be cool if I was in NY or Europe!"...
Yay! More scooters on the road. You're cool, don't worry about it. I just wish more people around here were on scooters or bikes. My main mode of transportation is a motorcycle and everytime I see someone on a scooter, it makes me smile. We need more scooters!