Gauging iPhone Fanboyism

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by 47seijar, Oct 11, 2014.

?

Which phone is aesthetically superior - the iPhone 6/6+ or the Sharp Aquos Crystal?

1. iPhone 6/6+

91.7%
  2. Sharp Aquos Crystal

8.3%
  1. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I'm loving my iPhone 6. I had the 6+ on pre-order but changed it to the regular 6 as I'm not yet ready to commit to a phablet. For me and for what I to with my mobiles I made the right decision. As a lifelong Mac user, the iPhone is the best solution for me, and it's one darn fine piece of kit.

Having said that, I must say that I'm slightly underwhelmed by Apple's aesthetic design on the 6/6+. So to gauge everyone's fanboy sensibilities I wanted to pose a simple question. And I know the answer is totally subjective. Take a look on BGR at the Sharp Aquos Crystal. Strictly from an aesthetic standpoint I think this phone is the most gorgeous thing on the market. While I covet the overall appearance, I'll never use one. Android is not for me (been there done that) and I don't trust the quality of Sharp products (used 'em and was always disappointed). But dang, that's one beautiful design!

How many folks can admit their iPhone, while the best choice for their own needs, may not be the most gorgeous design?

sharp-aquos-crystal.jpg

2. Sschep1

Sschep1 Member
    Bronze

I think the iPhone 6/6+ is a great design, the best I have owned and I've owned almost every model. Of course I usually love anything Apple puts out. The phone pictured is a great looking phone too. That's probably where the greatness ends when it comes to Sharp and android. I just think most android devices are terrible designs. Apple has always had a leg up on its competition when it comes to design, and it's probably one of the reasons people are so enamored with Apple.

3. 47seijar

47seijar Zealot
    Bronze

I agree that my iPhone 6 is the best iPhone I've ever owned. I'm not fond of the rounded edges from an aesthetic perspective but they do make the larger phone easier to hold. Android kills any chance of me ever getting that Sharp phone, but I do love the look. I also love the look of some of the Sony Xperia phones, but again - Android. Bah!!

4. Sschep1

Sschep1 Member
    Bronze

yes it's probably that edge to edge design that makes it look awesome. I had one android device for about three weeks and just hated every minute of it.

5. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

I really like the (almost) edge to edge screen but the angles on the Aquos are a bit square for my liking.

6. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I fell in love with Apple products from the very beginning. That being said, I think Apple needs to make a change in the placement of the speaker. It is not effective at the bottom of the phone. I'm also on the fence about the rounded edges. Without a case, the phone is rather difficult to hold for an extended period of time. I like how thin the phone is. It adds to the appeal and design.

7. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

If Apple had used and edge-to-edge screen design on the 6/6+ the entire phone could have been smaller. Personally, I like a squared edge look, but that's just me. Motorola did a rounded edge design with the Moto X. The original Moto X is the same size as my 5s with the Apple leather case on it, yet it packs a 4.7" screen.

8. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

And where's the earpiece on this thing?

9. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

It's at the top of the phone by the facecam.

10. azfalcon

azfalcon Member
    Bronze

Ha ha your going to ask that on a fanboy webpage?

11. iErik

iErik Zealot
    Gold

It appears there is no earpiece at all. I'll be interested to hear about the sound quality when the reviews come out. Seems interesting.

LINK

12. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I thought you were talking about the iPhone.

13. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

I'm an Android user and I think that Sharp phone is hideous. Phones actually need bezels, what else are you going to hold on to? The Sharp is a novelty, nothing more.

14. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

It doesn't have one. It essentially vibrates the display like a transducer. I think they call it direct wave or something like that. The Kyocera Brigadier uses similar technology.

15. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

The Aquos Crystal's corners are too sharp for me. Plus, it seems like it's a bit thick. Not a bad-looking phone though.

#15 Hondamaker, Oct 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2014
  16. Adriano73

Adriano73 Contributor
    Bronze

I don't know. I have to admit while the 6 looks beautiful from the front for me I'm not enthusiastic about the back but I remember the fact that when the 5 came out I thought the back looked ugly after the glass back of the 4s. After a while with it though I ended up thinking the 5s was the most beautiful phone on the market. So I'm gonna wait and see what time will do. My 6 plus will be in a case anyway so the beautiful front is all I will see.

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Agreed. I don't like the look of that Sharp at all. The sharp edges are the worst thing about that phone. It's a terrible design. They would gouge into the palms when using it single-handed.

18. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

You must have us confused with other communities where an us against them mentality is prevalent. Sure this is an iPhone community, but it's one that is more accepting of technology that doesn't emanate from Cupertino. I've personally owned a number of Android and Windows Phones, in addition to iPhones.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  19. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

Yeah, way too Sharp.

Zing!

20. tortex73

tortex73 Contributor
    Bronze

Agreed. With all the raving about Android that I have done here, I kinda expected to be driven away with torches and pitchforks. Everybody has been very cool and open minded.