Gauging iPhone Fanboyism

Which phone is aesthetically superior - the iPhone 6/6+ or the Sharp Aquos Crystal?

• Total voters

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
Just wanted to make the point that having a feature first doesn't always mean that it's useful.
Believe me, I know. It works 100% of the time but it also works 100% of the time with a photograph. More novelty than security measure. While Apple may not be the most innovative when it comes to features, 9 times out of 10 when they finally do add something, they do it right. Case in point- Touch ID. I think it was the Motorola Atrix that had the first fingerprint sensor on a smartphone but it sucked. Touch ID is damn near flawless. That said, if Apple does eventually implement facial recognition, surely it will be better than the current iteration of Face Unlock.

Sassytallsista

Contributor
Bronze
May 22, 2010
Texas
My first thought when watching the video of this phone was

This phone looks like a throwback to the transistor radio.... lol

Prob not what they were going for

It 's not for me .... Not because I am a fan girl.... But just because

Sent using iCafe app

Vcoronel127

Bronze
Aug 30, 2011
The design is great on that picture but I think that's about it. android will design their phones really well but the experience really sucks. That's how they get people to buy their phones. It's not all about the looks.

Just like what Steve Jobs said, "Apple sells experiences to people"

Sent from my iPhone

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
The design is great on that picture but I think that's about it. android will design their phones really well but the experience really sucks. That's how they get people to buy their phones. It's not all about the looks.

Just like what Steve Jobs said, "Apple sells experiences to people"

Sent from my iPhone
I couldn't disagree more. Aside from very few standout models, most Android phones are hideous. And if you know how to use it, the Android experience blows the iOS experience out of the water. And what I mean by that is you tailor Android to fit your needs. It can do everything the iPhone can do and a whole lot more. There is just a much steeper learning curve with Android than there is Apple.

I think the iPhones have been consistently the top design, aesthetically speaking. It's a gorgeous device that runs a gorgeous OS. But the problem is, there is only one experience with the iPhone and that's the Apple experience. You get what they give you, nothing more nothing less. I don't mean that in a bad way, because I absolutely love the Apple experience- I am as much attached to Apple as I am any other product. But the Android experience is really the YOU experience. You just need to learn how to truly get the most out of it, whereas iOS just spoon feeds it to you.

A lot of people don't want to have to mess around with their phones, and a lot just can't figure it out. And for them iOS is perfect. This is why the iPhone is the phone of choice for soccer moms all over the world. But for the real tech savy, who actually enjoy customizing their phones just the way they want them, Android is perfect. No Android fan ever complained that iOS is too complicated, and no iOS fan ever complained that Android was lacking the ability to customize. And the moral of this story is- to each their own.

Vcoronel127

Bronze
Aug 30, 2011
I couldn't disagree more. Aside from very few standout models, most Android phones are hideous. And if you know how to use it, the Android experience blows the iOS experience out of the water. And what I mean by that is you tailor Android to fit your needs. It can do everything the iPhone can do and a whole lot more. There is just a much steeper learning curve with Android than there is Apple.

I think the iPhones have been consistently the top design, aesthetically speaking. It's a gorgeous device that runs a gorgeous OS. But the problem is, there is only one experience with the iPhone and that's the Apple experience. You get what they give you, nothing more nothing less. I don't mean that in a bad way, because I absolutely love the Apple experience- I am as much attached to Apple as I am any other product. But the Android experience is really the YOU experience. You just need to learn how to truly get the most out of it, whereas iOS just spoon feeds it to you.

A lot of people don't want to have to mess around with their phones, and a lot just can't figure it out. And for them iOS is perfect. This is why the iPhone is the phone of choice for soccer moms all over the world. But for the real tech savy, who actually enjoy customizing their phones just the way they want them, Android is perfect. No Android fan ever complained that iOS is too complicated, and no iOS fan ever complained that Android was lacking the ability to customize. And the moral of this story is- to each their own.
That's a good point and you're probably right. I may need to spend some time with an Android device since I've only payed around with it in Best Buy or something

Sent from my iPhonejdrlqweendeeqsseaalrwqlazOaas ewwrlsiiweoriredgeadkqssawAsoàXal

Reactions: tortex73

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
That's a good point and you're probably right. I may need to spend some time with an Android device since I've only payed around with it in Best Buy or something

Sent from my iPhonejdrlqweendeeqsseaalrwqlazOaas ewwrlsiiweoriredgeadkqssawAsoàXal
I highly recommend you do, if only to experience what the other side is truly like. One thing I have noticed about iOS users is that they still liken Android now to what it was 4 years ago because they truly have no experience with the later versions. It's not like iOS where it's been essentially the same experience since the first iPhones. Android has grown up and evolved to be amazingly powerful and every bit as fluid and stable, if not more so, than iOS. Google Play is catching up with the App Store rapidly, and there's pretty much nothing the iPhone can do that Android can't. My only caveat is that different Android manufacturers alter the Android experience dramatically so don't judge all off Android based on one phone. The fundamentals are all there but the experience differs vastly. Try them all, especially the Moto X or the Nexus 5 to see what stock Android is like, because IMO stock is the best. But that's another great thing about Android- there's so many different flavors to choose from. Samsung has TouchWiz, HTC has Sense, LG and Sony have their custom skins... it's all about choice with Android. You get to choose a starting point and run with it from there.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
it's all about choice with Android. You get to choose a starting point and run with it from there.
My problem with that is that I don't want to start at one point and fuss and cajole my Android phone into doing what I want it to do, as happened with the very nicely built HTC One M7. That was a pain in the ass. If someone wants to spend the majority of their time futzing around with their phone, that's up to them, but for me, it was ultimately not worth the trouble.

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
My problem with that is that I don't want to start at one point and fuss and cajole my Android phone into doing what I want it to do, as happened with the very nicely built HTC One M7. That was a pain in the ass. If someone wants to spend the majority of their time futzing around with their phone, that's up to them, but for me, it was ultimately not worth the trouble.
Yup, theres a ton of people that feel the same way which is why iOS is such a great option. But like I said, to each their own.

But for the record, I don't spend the majority of my time futzing around with my Android phones. I've figured out exactly what I want from it over the years so it only takes me a few minutes to initially set up each new phone. After that, it just slowly evolves over time based on how I use each device. I haven't made any major changes to my Moto X in a year, and my Nexus 5 is set up very similarly, just with a different theme. Part of the fun of Android is tinkering with it. But, that's not for everyone. Some people just want a gorgeous phone that does cool stuff- that's the iPhone. Others want a powerful pocket computer that also makes phone calls- and that would be Android. Me? I want both :)

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Yup, theres a ton of people that feel the same way which is why iOS is such a great option. But like I said, to each their own.

But for the record, I don't spend the majority of my time futzing around with my Android phones. I've figured out exactly what I want from it over the years so it only takes me a few minutes to initially set up each new phone. After that, it just slowly evolves over time based on how I use each device. I haven't made any major changes to my Moto X in a year, and my Nexus 5 is set up very similarly, just with a different theme. Part of the fun of Android is tinkering with it. But, that's not for everyone. Some people just want a gorgeous phone that does cool stuff- that's the iPhone. Others want a powerful pocket computer that also makes phone calls- and that would be Android. Me? I want both :)
Here's a minor niggle I had. Do you know how many third-party music players I had to go through before I found one that handled gapless tracks properly? Apple's stock music app handles this perfectly, yet I had to search and search to find one on Google Play. And the way that the HTC handled texts was atrocious. I also couldn't send videos through the messaging app. Unbelievable, yet Apple's messaging app handled it just fine. Just to test this further, I asked my sister to take a very short video and text it to me via her Galaxy S5 - same result: no joy.

^^^These issues, among others, are big reasons why I'm not using an Android phone.

tortex73

Contributor
Bronze
Sep 30, 2014
Well Apple built the iPhone with it being a music player as its primary function, aside from the basics of being a phone. Android wasn't designed that way. But there are some great music players available like PowerAmp or Neutron, or a ton of others. And I don't like HTC's skin either but I don't see how the messaging app was atrocious. It's a messaging app, what do you expect? But I don't know why you had trouble sending videos, I've never had a problem. Even with the HTCs and Samsungs I've owned.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Well Apple built the iPhone with it being a music player as its primary function, aside from the basics of being a phone. Android wasn't designed that way. But there are some great music players available like PowerAmp or Neutron, or a ton of others. And I don't like HTC's skin either but I don't see how the messaging app was atrocious. It's a messaging app, what do you expect? But I don't know why you had trouble sending videos, I've never had a problem. Even with the HTCs and Samsungs I've owned.
I guess that's my problem with Android-based phones. Unless you get a pure Android phone, your experience is going to vary from brand to brand and from carrier to carrier.

Tattooed Alex

Genius
Gold
Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
IMO your Android experience varies greatly on the manufacturer UI as well so you can't base your opinion on just one experience unless it is a device running pure Android. To get back on topic I'll say no I don't like that Sharp model. I'm not a fan of the top of the phone being bezel free.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
IMO your Android experience varies greatly on the manufacturer UI as well so you can't base your opinion on just one experience unless it is a device running pure Android. To get back on topic I'll say no I don't like that Sharp model. I'm not a fan of the top of the phone being bezel free.
Just to be fair, I've owned several Android phones.

Tattooed Alex

Genius
Gold
Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
I guess that's my problem with Android-based phones. Unless you get a pure Android phone, your experience is going to vary from brand to brand and from carrier to carrier.
I just noticed after I posted that you basically summed up what I was saying right before me. Sorry about that I wasn't trying to add to your statement, just had the same thought, but it took me longer to get my thoughts out.

Tattooed Alex

Genius
Gold
Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Just to be fair, I've owned several Android phones.
I'm betting your experience on your HTC One was better that my daily experience with my S3. I keep hoping my work will upgarde our Android phones like they did with the sales department getting the iPhone 6. I'm just glad they ditched our BB a year ago, lol.

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
I'm betting your experience on your HTC One was better that my daily experience with my S3. I keep hoping my work will upgarde our Android phones like they did with the sales department getting the iPhone 6. I'm just glad they ditched our BB a year ago, lol.
Don't get me wrong. Android software has gotten better over the years, but it has never reached the point where I feel the need to make a permanent switch.

Tattooed Alex

Genius
Gold
Oct 24, 2010
Denver, CO
Don't get me wrong. Android software has gotten better over the years, but it has never reached the point where I feel the need to make a permanent switch.
Absolutely agree on that. I enjoy my balance of Android for work and iOS for personal. I like being exposed to the Android experience, but I would like it on a newer model and one without Touchwiz.