Gazelle.com reliable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xman, Jul 25, 2012.

1. xman

xman Member
    Bronze

just applied to sell my 3GS to gazelle for $80 with free shipping.

has anyone used this service? any good or bad?

thanks

2. Skb2000

Skb2000 Evangelist
    Gold

I wasn't happy with them. After I sent my phone to them they "discovered" all sorts of scratches, etc on it and tried to have me sell it at a lower than stated price. I had them send it back to me and I sold it on Craigs list for more than they originally offered.

3. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

$80 seems low to me, especially compared to the final price of 3GSes on eBay or Craigslist. If it's heavily worn, maybe $80 is about as good as you can get from a third-party reseller service like Gazelle. It's good if you don't want to go through the hassle and risk of putting it up on eBay or Craigslist yourself. All Gazelle does is take it and resell it (their eBay store floods the market with the phones they've bought from people). They tend to lowball it, knowing what kind of price they get for phones in similar condition, so that they can make a profit. If that doesn't bother you, it's an easy $80 (assuming they don't adjust their offer). They are established, with a consistent track record, and at least they're open enough to allow negative reviews of their service on their site. If I were ever to eschew the sell-it-myself approach, Gazelle would probably be the first one I go to.

4. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist
    Gold

5. Marianne

Marianne Zealot

I used Gazelle to get rid of my iPad 1 and had no problems with them at all. They gave me a very good price estimate online (I sold it to them just before the release of the iPad 2) and they didn't reduce it after receiving my iPad.

6. iamtko

iamtko Zealot
    Gold

ya i would not trust it. these types of website are notorious for making up scratches or underrating the condition of phones. though i have worked in a refurb shop and people lie all the time. like a lot.

"no it's never been in water" - every water damage indicator was orange AND usually has mold growing inside.

i think it's worth a try but i would also recommend just trying to sell it on your own. people are still paying absurdly high prices for used iPhones on craigs and ebay.

7. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I have a 3G I want to get rid of. Who should I use? I know Amazon, Apple, Gazelle, and Best Buy recycle them. I was keeping the 3G just in case, but am ready to unload it now. I know I won't received much in return, but I will receive something.

8. EverythingApple

Gold

I tried selling mine, but the one that seemed good said the condition wasn't perfect and declines the offer. What do you think I can get for a 3G in NJ?

9. drtbro4033

drtbro4033 New Member

I would avoid Gazelle. I sent them an iPod in pretty good shape, working well, and they quoted me at like $50 or something. When they got it, they told me it was in worse condition than what I told them and lowered the offer to $20. I denied it and made them send it back to me. About 3-4 months later, I learned that Amazon has a similar "buy-back" program, except they'll give you an Amazon gift card instead of cash (which to me, is about as good as cash). After what Gazelle told me, I lowered the condition of the iPod to the lowest Amazon would accept and their offer was $50 (aka 2.5 times what Gazelle offered). And guess what? I sent it in and Amazon told me that it was in BETTER condition than what I told them. So rather than just give me the $50, they gave me $80!

Moral of the story: Gazelle tried to rip me off and Amazon paid me 4 times what Gazelle offered. Stay away from Gazelle.

10. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

Yeah, I know what you're talking about. When the iPhone 4s was first announced, I was planning to wait to upgrade, if I upgraded at all. I then found out that I could likely sell my iPhone 4 for the same price it would cost me to upgrade. So I put it on eBay, and ended up coming out about $30 AHEAD of what my upgrade price was. Talk about a winning situation. I hope the same holds true when the next iPhone comes out. I have the 32GB model. They say the bigger hard drive you have, the better the resale value is.

11. Vonwachtstain

Vonwachtstain Member
    Bronze

Amazon.com is an amazing company. I pretty much buy everything from them.

12. Egbavwe Pela

Egbavwe Pela New Member

Have you tried ****.com? They let you compare prices from all the top sites..

13. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

You're identified as the Director of Online Marketing for this site. Goodbye.

14. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

I've used Gazelle numerous times along with everyone else in my family. It has worked very well. They quoted me a price online (every time) and I got that amount of money each time they received my item. I trust gazelle. I highly recommend their service.

15. patrickj

patrickj Genius
    Gold

Like FlowerPower I've used them several times, for iOS and Mac devices - and I've had nothing but a superb experience with them.

16. EverythingApple

Gold

Link, please?

17. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

Not to be a smart aleck, but www.gazelle.com. :D

18. EverythingApple

Gold

Look what I quoted? I was asking for the link to FlowerPower.

19. FlwrPwer

FlwrPwer Evangelist
    Gold

You want a link to me? I'm a member.....

20. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

What Patrick was saying was, "Like Flowerpower (referring to the eiC member FlwrPwer), I've used gazelle.com many times."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List