GBA Emulator 1.1.2, nothing short of brilliant

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

zemper

Sep 16, 2007
All I can say is wow what an improvement and what a device the iPhone/touch is and how much this proves it can do... This is why I bought an iPhone, and it is really nothing less than ridiculous that Apple isn't embracing this fine work and the true capabilities of this underachieving amazing handheld. As a standalone game player there is no competition short of the big 2, let alone all the other third party features. Apple should be paying these people for developing not locking them out of their OS, this new version makes this emulator one of the biggest improvements to the iPhone since the release of the jailbreak/installer (if gaming is your thing).

Now if only we could get a decent iradio update or a way to port xstreamxm.com/mobile to stream XM or Sirius without having to host it from your home pc....

Thanks to the team for this great program, you got my donation and its well earned, nice job.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Holy freaking crap, best app ever! Have you tried all the new skins? I like #1 the best! Also, now you can mute the volume finally! Still waiting on volume control though.

Recommended game: Sonic the Hedghog for Genesis, runs perfect

MileHiPhone

Bronze
Sep 28, 2007
How do you get it to work? I installed off installer -- then uploaded some GBA roms but I get an error message when I select any of the ROMS that says "Sorry but ipSPa requires a Gameboy Advance"? Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks.

zemper

Sep 16, 2007
ya #4 skin rocks, simple and works really well, and sorry youre having that problem, I have no idea what that would be, mine worked right out of the box, maybe check the games....

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
How do you get it to work? I installed off installer -- then uploaded some GBA roms but I get an error message when I select any of the ROMS that says "Sorry but ipSPa requires a Gameboy Advance"? Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks.
Google around for gba_bios.bin and put it in the gpSPhone directory. It's required to make it work!

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
ya #4 skin rocks, simple and works really well, and sorry youre having that problem, I have no idea what that would be, mine worked right out of the box, maybe check the games....
That one's pretty good but I don't like how the screen is really white looking you know?

zemper

Sep 16, 2007
i found mine on bittorrent, the ones i found on google had a .rom extension and thats not right. I SEARCHED BITTORRRENT FOR A GBA EMULATOR FOR ANY PLATFORM THAT SAID GBAEMULATORWITHBIOS or something to that affect, mine was called gpsp08andbios.zip so I would search for that if I were you. Than look for a file called gba_bios.bin, thats the one you need/

zemper

Sep 16, 2007
Ive spoken to 12 people who all want the same thing.
Skin 3 in every way is perfect, the contrast, the A and B buttons L and R are all perfect. We just want the joystick from skin 1 and it would be perfect if it was placed above where it is in skin 3 and below where it is in skin 4. So in plain english not quite in the middle but not quite on the bottom, like 4/5 from the top (or 2/5 from the bottom lol), just above where it is in skin 4 ultimately. Just add that as one more skin and so many people will stop bugging me and I agree fully... It would be perfect.

Does anyone know how I can get this info to the developers, an email address, forward it, anything...

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ive spoken to 12 people who all want the same thing.
Skin 3 in every way is perfect, the contrast, the A and B buttons L and R are all perfect. We just want the joystick from skin 1 and it would be perfect if it was placed above where it is in skin 3 and below where it is in skin 4. So in plain english not quite in the middle but not quite on the bottom, like 4/5 from the top (or 2/5 from the bottom lol), just above where it is in skin 4 ultimately. Just add that as one more skin and so many people will stop bugging me and I agree fully... It would be perfect.

Does anyone know how I can get this info to the developers, an email address, forward it, anything...
Here's the official website, there's a forum and contact info for the author and stuff.

BSloss13

Oct 14, 2007
when i put my roms in the folder they don't even show up in the app, whats with this? did i do something wrong? i put them in /var/root/media/ROMs/GBA

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Holy freaking crap, best app ever! Have you tried all the new skins? I like #1 the best! Also, now you can mute the volume finally! Still waiting on volume control though.

Recommended game: Sonic the Hedghog for Genesis, runs perfect
Indeed Sonic looks great, once you make a couple of practice moves to get it going fluidly. Any other games that play well? I tried loading Tomb Raider but it would not play it at all, and Crash Bandicoot was so slow that I gave up before it progressed passed the welcome screens.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Emulators inside this Emulator are kinda of "iffy" at the moment. I've had a go with Loopy's GB emulator for the GBA without any success. The emu launches but it can't find the Gameboy Rom, and its a shame too because the Punchout Arcade Emulator works better than it does on a real GBA. It's not full speed, but very close!

Lumines Sweeper works pretty good, as does Bullet Time, but probably one of the best homebrews I've seen on the iPhone under GBA emulation is SF Cave. It's 3D and the framerate is fantastic.

Here's a list of games that are quite good on this emulator:

Crazy Taxi
Sega Rally
Punchout Arcade Emulator
SF Cave
Final Fight One
Wade Hixton's KO Boxing
Golden Axe
Game & Watch Gallery
Metal Slug Advanced
Super Puzzle Fither II Turbo
WarioWare
Tron 2.0 Killer App

--

I've got a lot more to go through, but I was pretty surprised to find that all of the games above were playable. I did a few A grade runs in Crazy Taxi then beat Sega Rally. I can't tell if both those games are running faster than the actual GBA, it sure feels like it. They were both pretty ugly to look at but the gameplay was spot on, so I played them a lot on my GBAmicro. Very happy to see I've gotten my favorite games back since ditching my bag of tricks once I got my iPhone.

xSoNiCcRaCkErSx

Bronze
Jun 30, 2007
I didn't, apparently there was a port of the Genesis Sonic game to the Gameboy Advance, and then I just used the ROM of that port that Nintendo did.
Ah, I see just a port, I though you were playing .sms roms on here i was like HOW!?!?!?!?!? Can't wait for the genesis emulator! Thanks for clearing that up Wildonrio.

wildonrio

Gold
Jul 4, 2007
Provo, UT
Ah, I see just a port, I though you were playing .sms roms on here i was like HOW!?!?!?!?!? Can't wait for the genesis emulator! Thanks for clearing that up Wildonrio.
Now that I look at your Avatar and username, I can see why you might have gotten excited about Sonic :p Now I just wish they would have ported Sonic 2 over, since that was the one I played the most. I've never actually beaten Sonic 1, much much too hard without cheating.

firewire

Silver
Nov 4, 2007
Now that I look at your Avatar and username, I can see why you might have gotten excited about Sonic :p Now I just wish they would have ported Sonic 2 over, since that was the one I played the most. I've never actually beaten Sonic 1, much much too hard without cheating.
Nah, come on! I'll tell you what's hard, getting the chaos emeralds in Sonic 2! Now that's next to impossible.

kaynine_9

Aug 21, 2007
Hey do anyone know why the gba emulator is not as smooth as the nes emulator. Also why cant i save games on the gba on the iPhone? If u need help wit installing the roms hit me up

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Why would you want a Genesis Emulator for outdated Sonics when you can be playing the newest Sonic Rush Adventure?

It's 64 megs big, which is

1) large for a GBA game

2) the largest Sonic game to date on cartridge