GBA Emulator: Color Fix + New Skin

Discussion in 'Cydia Apps' started by x999x, Dec 13, 2007.

1. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

Update New Skin:
    [​IMG]

Scale Mode:
    [​IMG]

Howdy, I've started to get a little more free time lately and happened to finally get bitten by the gpSPhone bug. Long story short I wasn't happy with the button setup for the games I liked to play so I decided to make my on.

While in the process I noticed that the default skins are being overlayed on top of of the game-field. What this means is the colors are being washed out buy a white layer above it. You can see an example of the color difference, with the original skin #3 below:

Note this Skin is outdated, these shots are for color reference.

The screenshot above is my skin with the game-field area transparent so the true colors show through, notice how much bluer the blues are? You can download this new skin as an attachment at the bottom of this post.

Anyway, I'd love some feedback on the controller's button mappings. I've gotten used to them as is for the games I like to play, but if you find you're still having problems moving certain directions, or hitting certain buttons, please post your concerns.

How to Install:

Unzip the attachment below and connect to your iPhone with CyberDuck, WinSCP, or however you prefer to SSH in.

Browse to:

/Applications/gpSPhone.app

Copy these files to the directory above on your iPhone:

controller_fs4.png
    controller_fs4.txt

Click "Yes" to overwrite the existing files

----

All Done

-Enjoy

Edit- Updated Zip file with updated controller mappings and new skin.

Attached Files:

• gsp4.zip
      File size:
      33.8 KB
      Views:
  2. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Not all of them have the washed out white look, try Skin 1 for example. For this skin they made the buttons white and the screen transparent instead of the screen white and the buttons transparent. However, skin 4 is by far the best one, but it has the washed out white look. Do you think it would be easy to invert skin 4 so that the buttons are white and the screen is transparent? I really like the skins you've added here but I like the full screen view so the directional pad is better in the lower left hand corner to not obstruct viewing (like skin 4).

3. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

Hi,

I've actually started to play SF Cave in fullscreen now since it only really needs one button, and I noticed that my skin could use some tweaking to accommodate that. I'll be posting a revision when I get home which will allow it to work better for fullscreen view.

I haven't seen skin #4, but I'll give it a look also. I may be applying some of what it does in my own skin since you like it so much.

I'm probably going to make another thread for this, but I may just keep them here as a GBA goodie bag, but I have procured some legal roms which I can distribute here on the forums. Cave is friggen awesome, the framerate is like 20-30fps for 3D! I gotta post it once I can get home and zip it up.

4. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Do you know how to move the position of the buttons on the screen, or just their appearance? If so, we should move A and B to the bottom of the screen side by side (B A) so you can roll your thumb back and forth on them like NES.

Excited about the cave game by the way. :)

5. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

I can move and remap the buttons however I wish. The author did a great job of outlining this in his readme files.

If you notice, my skin relocates the start, select, menu buttons from the original its based off of, as well as moving the L/R buttons above the A button.

I'm not much of a fan of the NES button mappings to be honest, but its worth a shot. The thing I am aiming for with where I have the buttons now is longevity. The farther your thumb has to travel to press a button means it will fatigue sooner than buttons that are closer. The balance is not cramping the area so that you're mashing all of them at once.

6. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

You don't like the NES buttons? Really. How can you roll your thumb when the buttons are vertical like that? You're not alone by any means, as it seems like a lot of people are fine with that. I've just been a thumb roller my whole life, maybe I'm different.

Appreciate your hard work around here.

7. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

Its pretty simple, you roll up and down instead of left and right. I've really gotten used to that setup from my super famicom when I was a kid.

8. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Well I got rid of the washed out white look for skin 4. All I did was color fill the white background with black, and then I color filled the black buttons with white. Now the background is transparent and clear, and the buttons are white, instead of vice versa. Not to draw attention from your skins x999x as they are much more professional than this. But I thought this would be the appropriate place to post it. (It took me 3 min in Windows Paint, don't judge, I've never done this before :p)

All you do is put this file in the gpSPhone.app directory on your phone and overwrite the existing file.

EDIT: For some reason it gets converted to jpg when I post it here. Make sure and rename the extension to .png before you upload it.

9. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

Ok, so all skin 4 does is move the dpad to the bottom? I thought the buttons were somewhere else. Wow, how do you play with the Dpad so far down there? Doesn't that make hitting directions like down-right, or down-left a little tricky?

As for your image, I'm surprised it works, the instructions call for a png image. I'm guessing the emulator doesn't see a difference, but in any case you may want to check the colors again, because now it's just laying a black opaque layer on top which would also affect the colors.

If you'd like to save out as a transparent png, I recommend giving Gimp a go, its a freeware program thats about as powerful as photoshop 5, which isn't all that shabby for free. There are versions available online for both the Mac and PC. I've given both a go and they're both solid releases.

10. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

It's perfect. It's small enough that I can just roll my thumb around on it and it responds great. I don't have any problems hitting any of the buttons and it's down low enough to not get in the way of the viewing screen.

I don't know why it's being uploaded as jpg. I upload it as png and it posts as jpg. I edited my post to tell people to rename it to png. And it works perfectly, I guess black=transparent because now the screen is bright and colorful and the buttons are white, just like I wanted. I still wanna move those A and B buttons to the bottom, I think I'm gonna look at the Readme tonight to get the coodinates right. How do you tell where the coordinates are?

11. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

Alright, I've tweaked my skin and moved everything down towards the bottom area. I see the reasoning behind this now, it keeps your fingers out of live area when in fullscreen mode.

All thats left is to do is mapping the actual key locations in the txt file. Oh, I'm using photoshop to get the coordinates btw. I use the slice tool and create the outline of the touch-area I want. Then I double click that slice and photoshop will tell me the x,y as well as the pixel dimensions. Pretty easy :)

Heres a peek at the new skin, and that grey background wont be there, its just so that you can see the buttons, they'd not show up otherwise :p

[​IMG]

12. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Dude, that looks awesome! I wish there were more people into
    this besides us two tho lol

13. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

Alright I've finally finished, an hour later :T but heres the skin:

Updated Skin:
    [​IMG]

Scale Mode:
    [​IMG]

You can get the new zip from back on the first page, please let me know how it works out for you! I gave it a go on Final Fight and I think I nailed the A, B, A+B placement. L and R feels pretty nice in Crazy Taxi too. I'm still getting used to the Dpad being down there but so far so good.

I've increased the hot-spots for the start/select/menu buttons. I was having a hard time getting them to work. Spent most my time just getting all the hotspots to feel right to be honest, heh.

14. bconnor

bconnor New Member

can you upload the non-scaled skin? thanks

15. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

it works either way, just give it a go

16. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member
    Gold

Ok it looks and works great! I'll use it from now on.

Still trying to decide if I like where you put the L and R buttons. I guess that's the best spot possible. Did you just decide that putting them at the top of the screen like the other skins was unconventional?

17. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

I just tried what looked comfortable, because the stock placement for the L/R didn't seem easy to reach when playing games that use the L/R.

So far so good, let me know if the button mappings feel OK.

18. x999x

x999x New Member
    Gold

I just put about 2 solid hours on this emulator playing Mario Kart. I wrote that game off originally when I saw the youtube video when the emulator was released. I was like "heh, looks cool but how in the hell are you gonna play that thing? Nes was hard enough to play as it is..."

Well, after making this new skin I gave MK another go and man I'm in heaven. Great framerate and I can drift now with mini-turbos!

Ok, this emulator needs some more lovin' or something because for once I feel like gaming has finally come to the iPhone...

19. ICEx2122

ICEx2122 New Member

how to do this

how do you make these skins i looked on youtube could not find one you should put a video showing how, i have photoshop cs2 and cs3,

20. FatjoeOkan

FatjoeOkan New Member

doesn't work :(