GearLive answers Questions on 1.1.3 Install on iPhone

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
So gearlive answered a series of questions. unfortunately...nothing else.

Here's the URL: http://www.gearlive.com/news/article/q407-iphone-113-qa-batch-one

Main updates are listed below:
- no a2dp
- no marked improvement on vibrate/ringtone
- no cut/paste
- no ability to save (file structure)
- Googlemaps does show results "location based"

Not to say other updates wont find its way in production version.

Regards,
dolo
So what are the updates then?

chrismmm

Silver
Dec 27, 2007
Gwinnett, Georgia
Thx Dolo...

Here are a few from the article......

" Looks like the soon-to-be-released iPhone firmware 1.1.3 has quite a few surprises. We were able to get a look at it, and here is what we found:
  • The ability to send an SMS message to multiple people is now there
  • Google Maps application can now pinpoint your location using cell tower triangulation
  • Google Maps can now display the Hybrid map view
  • You can now drag and drop application icons on your home screen
  • The home screen supports pagination
  • You can now add web bookmarks to your home screen
."

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
This update is about bringing an end to jailbreaking, unlocking and activation avoidance.

It serves no other purpose.

Apple has promised an update regarding outlook in February as I have been told by ATT sales. So you may see more additions though I doubt it.

I would expect all other major revisions will most likely be part of the 3G phone due later this year.

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
I pretty sure some one will figure a way to jailbreak 1.1.3 as they did with the other updates.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
This update is about bringing an end to jailbreaking, unlocking and activation avoidance.

It serves no other purpose.

Apple has promised an update regarding outlook in February as I have been told by ATT sales. So you may see more additions though I doubt it.

I would expect all other major revisions will most likely be part of the 3G phone due later this year.
Go whine in another thread.

Those of us that do not jailbreak, and choose not to, are happy about this and all other updates. Having these nice features, and knowing that they are stable and supported by Apple is a good thing for us.

Thanks for the link, nice article.

- John

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
John -

Guess there a a few of you though I think this site is about all users.

I would not be so happy about this update when there are many other more pressing issues for Apple to address.

A cell phone, that barely meets the current state of cell phones is much more of a pressing problem then being able to triangulate my position....or add buttons to the main screen.

The is not whining, its simply pointing out that Apple is not on an agenda to address these issues, like 100% of all other cell phone companies. Instead they will address it by releasing a new phone again like 100% of all other cell phone companies.

That sort of sucks in the face of a 2 year commit on the current iPhone doesn't it?

In reality I guess these discussions, and rants are rather pointless. It is what it is.

-zip

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
I'm still hoping Apple DOESN'T go chasing features provided by other mobile phones. MMS for example is a 'wrong' service. It lives in the world of mobile phones and Apple's job is t o provide us devices that extend the reach of our existing and dominant digital device - the Mac (possibly pc also!). SMS likewise really. SMS is great if you can't email, but if you can email, SMS becomes an IM, and Apple has done that.
So, please, no MMS, no DJ-mixer, no IRDA. I don't even give a stuff about not having device-to-device bluetooth as the iPhone is ALL my devices.

GailLA

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 13, 2007
Northern IL
I'm still hoping Apple DOESN'T go chasing features provided by other mobile phones. MMS for example is a 'wrong' service.
I think you said it very well.

<rant>To address MMS specifically, I really prefer that those who just have to text me their photos do it by putting my email address into their mms app. That way I get a pic that I can keep on my computer if I so desire (since I "leave on server" with the phone). I can also use an e-mail to MMS photos to them if they desire it -- it is easy to set up in their contact info. So I can't just MMS at will to their phone number without setting it up and knowing their carrier? Well, NO ONE should be texting ANYTHING to ANYONE who hasn't agreed to it. Unless they talk to you, they don't know what plan you are on or if you have an allowance of texts that you don't want to exceed. I know a lot of people who do not have texting of any kind on their plans. The iPhone strikes a nice balance of texting ability and e-mail functionality.</rant>

If what has been outlined about 1.1.3 is true, I'm happy about the update. About the only thing I really miss is (and I understand that some think it is difficult to implement reliably) copy and paste. I would also like the ability to sync notes (though I know the contact info work-around and know notes can be e-mailed). Still, that takes nothing away from what is being added, if true, in this update. For those of us who chose not to jailbreak this will be a good thing. If you jailbreak and don't want it, don't update.

Bottom line for me is that the things the iPhone does it does very well.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
R U KIDDDING .. Not many people just email pictures . its become habit to mms a picture to somene bc there phone number is already in their phone . its just another step to email it . im sick of getting mms messages on the iPhone and it tells me to go to viewmymessage.com and type in a username and password that i get wrong and have retype it and then i cant save it . its probably ths stupist way to get pictures on a phone. so please Apple give the iPhone mms . i want my friend to send me a picture of his new born baby and see it on my iPhone and be able to save it to my picture library on my iPhone right then and there . not some stupid website i have to log into and not even be able to save it .

kengelmann

Bronze
Oct 31, 2007
You said it best!

I agree 1000%. Give it up Apple.

R U KIDDDING .. Not many people just email pictures . its become habit to mms a picture to somene bc there phone number is already in their phone . its just another step to email it . im sick of getting mms messages on the iPhone and it tells me to go to viewmymessage.com and type in a username and password that i get wrong and have retype it and then i cant save it . its probably ths stupist way to get pictures on a phone. so please Apple give the iPhone mms . i want my friend to send me a picture of his new born baby and see it on my iPhone and be able to save it to my picture library on my iPhone right then and there . not some stupid website i have to log into and not even be able to save it .

mori

Bronze
Nov 16, 2007
humm i get pics on my email using the iPhone and i donthave to log in anywhere to view it. NOW what i would like to do its be able to save That pic to one of my albums

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I'm still hoping Apple DOESN'T go chasing features provided by other mobile phones. MMS for example is a 'wrong' service. It lives in the world of mobile phones and Apple's job is t o provide us devices that extend the reach of our existing and dominant digital device - the Mac (possibly pc also!). SMS likewise really. SMS is great if you can't email, but if you can email, SMS becomes an IM, and Apple has done that.
So, please, no MMS, no DJ-mixer, no IRDA. I don't even give a stuff about not having device-to-device bluetooth as the iPhone is ALL my devices.
interesting perspective... i would like nothing more than to be done with texting. Problem is, not everyone has an iPhone yet :( let alone any of the people on MY contacts list.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
from a corporate strategy point of view, Apple isn't going to be in a hurry to compete with mobile manufacturers on their turf. Its a battle Apple can't win just yet.
The only possibility is to concentrate on the bits like web and email integration where it has clout. Strengths, Apple manufactures its own mobile phone and browser and mail client and media player. Apple will want to lure the competition onto its strong ground.
mainstream mobile functions are a way off, phase2.

mad_vtak

Bronze
Dec 21, 2007
I would like to see Apple working for a push email feature. This imap thing is not cutting it for me. Either that or mail2web needs to come out with some new on their compatibleness with the iPhone.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
I still think the phone was a little sketchy...in the video the demo iPhone they are using says NATE in the top left which means its jailbroken? I'm not so aware on the abilities of a jail broken phone but the fact that theres is has led to doubts.