General WiFi Question

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Sep 17, 2007
Hello everyone,

Wow, first post for me.:eek: I am wondering about the way that wifi works. Do you have to have a data plan with a gsm provider in order for it to work, or does it work just like my laptop's wireless card? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I usually have wifi around me all day so I would rather save a little and avoid paying for a data plan. Does it make any difference if it has been unlocked to work with T-mobile?

Thanks

MotherTucker

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
Hello everyone,

Wow, first post for me.:eek: I am wondering about the way that wifi works. Do you have to have a data plan with a gsm provider in order for it to work, or does it work just like my laptop's wireless card? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I usually have wifi around me all day so I would rather save a little and avoid paying for a data plan. Does it make any difference if it has been unlocked to work with T-mobile?

Thanks
Wow man, I don't even know enough to know if this is a dumb question or not. All I know is that the search feature in this forum is pretty good. I'm not big on guessing answers to questions. My gut tells me it's not dumb at all. :)

robby69

Bronze
Sep 20, 2007
Hello everyone,

Wow, first post for me.:eek: I am wondering about the way that wifi works. Do you have to have a data plan with a gsm provider in order for it to work, or does it work just like my laptop's wireless card? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I usually have wifi around me all day so I would rather save a little and avoid paying for a data plan. Does it make any difference if it has been unlocked to work with T-mobile? Thanks
Your iPhone needs to be activated. You can do that by signing up for a AT&T plan, or unlocking it and using say a T-Mobile Sim. You do not need a data plan to use Wifi, if you unlock it. If you use AT&T and do not unlock it, naturally you have to have a data plan, otherwise you can't activate it. You might take a look at the ipod touch if you don't need a cell phone.