iPhone 5 Generic Lightning Cable (amazon $6.25)

Discussion in 'iPhone Cases and Accessories' started by ITS ME DAVID, Nov 19, 2012.

1. ITS ME DAVID

ITS ME DAVID Evangelist

Amazon has generic Lightning cables for sale for just $6.25. This is a big savings as compared to Apple's OEM Lightning cables which cost $19.99.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2013
  2. btitus

btitus Contributor

Never purchased any type of electronics from Amazon. Do you think this is legit? I read a few positive reviews but those could be plants :0/

Sent from my iPhone5 using iCafe app
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. The reviews don't sound like plants, but the quality certainly is suspect.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. btitus

btitus Contributor

I need to find out what the return policy is and if they make the customer pay for return shipping.

6. Docd

Docd Contributor

I would be suspect on the cables as I don't think they have the Authenticating chip in them as one review stated that you couldn't plug it in both ways as you can with the real apple cable. Might be good for charging but saw no review talking about syncing.
  7. btitus

btitus Contributor

If it charges that would be fine. I could use that one for the nightstand or car and not have to keep transporting a cable between the computer and other places in the house when I just need a charge

8. imutter

imutter Genius

I ordered these and they came today. I wasn't home so I gotta get the package tomorrow
    0-599x600.jpg
  9. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

I'm not buying anything generic without at least several user reports.
  10. imutter

imutter Genius

I did get the Belkin car charger and it works great so far,
    The cable is still a bid short for the back seat plug :(
  11. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

I'm waiting for a car solution that charges and passes audio with one connection. No one seems interested in making one.
  12. They look like the ones Mindi and I bought at Best Buy. They last about a week or two. Have fun.
  13. Docd

Docd Contributor

I would just be worried that without the chip what it will do to my phone on the long run. The lightin cable has assign the pins on the fly. Without that chip how does it do that. Would love a longer cable but not going to risk my phone for one.
  14. psylichon

psylichon Moderator

If all you want is a longer cable, just add a USB extension cable to the stock lightning cable.
  15. Docd

Docd Contributor

Yes I know that I can do that but that wasn't the question from the op. I have an 800 dollar phone why would I trust a 6 dollar cable just to save a few bucks. Don't get me wrong I have used the cheap cables before but that chip changes the game some. I'll let someone else be a test dummy.
  16. imutter

imutter Genius

That is what I have done I got extra lighting cables from day 1. Which was good the USB of the lighting cable is stuck in the extension USB . It will probably never come loose.
  17. imutter

imutter Genius

That is what happened with mine form Best Buy the one Mindi got too.
    They work the light is broke but those are the old pin connector type these are Lighting cable (just released)
    It's a stocking stuffer. I rely on my extra Apple Cables and so far the Belkin chargers work great too.
  18. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot

To me the name brand aftermarket cables are better quality than the apple ones. It was like that with the 30 pin cables anyway.
  19. Docd

Docd Contributor

Key word is name brand but there was better little price savings if any. They both had shortcomings but apple would replace for free if still in your warranty period.
  20. VOLS34

VOLS34 Zealot

Apple should definitely look into making their cables more durable. The white rubber or whatever compound it is just doesn't hold up.
  21. Docd

Docd Contributor

The new lightin cables are a lot better they seem. Time will tell, but I don't see any signs of same problems as the 30 pin.