genius bar & replacement questions

suasex

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
does anyone know the extent of the genius bar's capabilities? I am still having software issues with my phone and have done everything they told me to do. I assume they can only restore it using iTunes, which I can do myself. I am not able to open any 3rd party apps and all ipod content does not show in the phone, but in iTunes. if they can't fix any of this with a restore would they swap my phone out? thanks.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Yes, they have the authority to exchange your phone for a new one if they deem it necessary and they have supplies on hand. By 3rd party apps I assume you mean apps you obtained from the official App Store, right?

suasex

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
Yes, they have the authority to exchange your phone for a new one if they deem it necessary and they have supplies on hand. By 3rd party apps I assume you mean apps you obtained from the official App Store, right?
yes, all legit, non hacked iPhone.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Then you're good. I advise to set up your appointment earlier rather than later. There apparently is an allotment of phones each store receives daily for replacements. When I returned mine the genius told me they received three that day and the computer showed there was still one in inventory although he was having difficulty locating it. He eventually did find it. During the hunting down process I questioned what would happen in the even they couldn't find it. He told me I'd have to give him my phone to be sent out and I'd get a replacement directly from the warehouse. So my advice would be to get there early.

Aug 8, 2008
Then you're good. I advise to set up your appointment earlier rather than later. There apparently is an allotment of phones each store receives daily for replacements. When I returned mine the genius told me they received three that day and the computer showed there was still one in inventory although he was having difficulty locating it. He eventually did find it. During the hunting down process I questioned what would happen in the even they couldn't find it. He told me I'd have to give him my phone to be sent out and I'd get a replacement directly from the warehouse. So my advice would be to get there early.
I'm just curious.....I haven't even received my iPhone yet. But, hypothetically, if I wanted to jailbreak my 3G and then later on down the line if I encountered problems would I be able to "relock" the phone somehow? or do some sort of full system restore/hard reset? thanks for any advice you can provide me!

suasex

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008

My appointment isn't until 5 today. If they don't have any phones do I have to send mine in or can I just come back another day?

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Honestly, I don't know the answer to that as they found one for me.

Sep 1, 2007
West Central Florida
oh crap, they are doing this with 3g phones already?

Ill return mine and buy another one somewhere else!

screw that refurbished phone junk, i don't want all the problems i had with my 1g phone after that process started.

1 year and 6 phones later, i finally bought a 3g..

i don't want to start the same cycle!

suasex

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
Honestly, I don't know the answer to that as they found one for me.

thanks, I should know here in a few hours.

on a related note, I only have 1 screen protector and it's obv. on my current phone and it wouldn't look very good to put it on a new one, I don't suppose you think they would give me another one? I sure as hell am not paying for it!

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
thanks, I should know here in a few hours.

on a related note, I only have 1 screen protector and it's obv. on my current phone and it wouldn't look very good to put it on a new one, I don't suppose you think they would give me another one? I sure as hell am not paying for it!
Then you'll be stuck without one. I got my 3g on launch day and was at the genius bar two days later for a replacement. They certainly didn't give me a new protector.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
I'm just curious.....I haven't even received my iPhone yet. But, hypothetically, if I wanted to jailbreak my 3G and then later on down the line if I encountered problems would I be able to "relock" the phone somehow? or do some sort of full system restore/hard reset? thanks for any advice you can provide me!
yes there are many ways to completly reset your phone, a simple restore through iTunes should be fine

suasex

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
well they gave me a new phone and I had to scramble to take off my old screen protector and put on the new one, now it's trashed.

phone seems to be fine except when I use coverflow and the ipod closes unexpectedly. hopefully the next firmware update will correct issues like this.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
Good... glad to hear you got a new one. I ended up having to use a new screen protector as well but that was the least of my concerns.

suasex

Bronze
Jul 27, 2008
Good... glad to hear you got a new one. I ended up having to use a new screen protector as well but that was the least of my concerns.
yeah, time will tell. my stomach sank when the ipod shut down the first time. hopefully it's another issue.

Jul 16, 2008
Colorado
My iPod has been sort of fickle lately. If I have my headphones plugged in on a phone conversation, it will occasionally go to the iPod when I terminate the call even though I wasn't listening to music prior to the phone call. And it always starts at the beginning of the same album although I've not listened to lately. Now that I'm thinking about it I'm going to remove that album and resync then add it back later to see if there's something funky going on with the file.

kisstine

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Northern California
My iPod has been sort of fickle lately. If I have my headphones plugged in on a phone conversation, it will occasionally go to the iPod when I terminate the call even though I wasn't listening to music prior to the phone call. And it always starts at the beginning of the same album although I've not listened to lately. Now that I'm thinking about it I'm going to remove that album and resync then add it back later to see if there's something funky going on with the file.
That happens to me too. Actually, it's also happened when the headphones weren't plugged in. Always the same song.. "Ain't No Sunshine" ... I just pretend it's a sign that someone misses me. :)