Genius bar

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You'll be getting a new/refurbished iPhone. Updating did remove the jailbreak, but I recommend restoring it to factory settings so all of your personal data is removed. If you don't do it, Apple will restore it before repairing it, but I wouldn't want to give it to them with all my email, texts, contacts, pictures, logins, and notes still on it.

katelynneemma

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 15, 2011
N.Y.
Thanks guys! They gave me a new one. The genius hit the home button and it stuck completely in place couldn't get it to pop back up :) I did delete my stuff before I went in but he reset it in front of me and had me hit the confirm button. They were super nice. He gave me a bumper and screen protectors cause my case actually snapped when he took it off.
Love, love, love Apple customer service.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
My home button is touchy too. Not nearly as bad as 75% of the time, but i can rarely get double-taps to work. Usually takes me 3 or 4 tries. I have to try to make it out there before the 19th.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I had my iPhone changed last Friday due to the home button not functioning correctly. They swapped it on the spot.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
I think the US swap out is different. In the UK they will not give you your replacement until you have wiped the iPhone and signed a form. Well in my experience!
I wiped my phone, I deleted everything from it and reset all settings. Then I had signed the form, then left a happy customer.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
Went to the genius bar today. Told the guy my home button wasn't 100%. He tried it out and said he couldn't see anything wrong, but offered to replace it anyway. Took about 10 minutes from the time of my appointment. They really have it down to a science. Unlike some other companies I know of.

It's also interesting to note that this is the first time in 4 years I've needed to have any of my three iPhones replaced. Not counting the one i dropped and shattered, of course.

evolution83

Zealot
Gold
Mar 2, 2009
California
Mine was replaced a few months after receiving mine. Home button was pure crap half the time, so I got it swapped. I asked the lady who helped me if mine was a refurb, but she said she didn't know because they're not told if they're refurbs or not. I laughed. I can tell its a refurb by the serial #, but it doesn't bother me. I'd rather have a refurb knowing it works than a buggy new one. :)

Napoleon PhoneApart

Genius
Platinum
Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Sam
Went to the genius bar today. Told the guy my home button wasn't 100%. He tried it out and said he couldn't see anything wrong, but offered to replace it anyway. Took about 10 minutes from the time of my appointment. They really have it down to a science. Unlike some other companies I know of.

It's also interesting to note that this is the first time in 4 years I've needed to have any of my three iPhones replaced. Not counting the one i dropped and shattered, of course.
Same here. I exchanged my 3G because of case microfractures (I wanted to sell it; this was the day before the 3GS came out), but that's the only time I've had a physical problem with any of my iPhones.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I see I'm not the only one with a home button problem. I have to keep pressing on mine several times to get it to respond. I thought it might have been unresponsive due to the JB.

bballrob

Genius
Gold
Oct 11, 2009
Alaska
Is the APple Store Genius bar the only place that will do this or will AT&T do it too? I ask only because we have no APple store in Alaska. And I've had similar, spotty experiences with my home button.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I had a 3GS, and NEVER had the home button problem. I get an iPhone 4, and within six months, I had to have it changed.

But, of course, Apple Genius support made the whole process seamless...

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
got some problems.

note that my phone had actually completely died, and is only at 9% because i had just been recharging it. My usage was pretty much only web browsing. Definitely no games, videos, streaming, or anything else battery-drainy.

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
My battery is awful on 4.3.3 I can't even downgrade :( I've only got my 4.3.3 SHSH saved... damn new iPhone!