Geo-Fencing

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by iPutz, Feb 7, 2014.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Does anyone know if Geo-Fencing issues in Find My Friends will be fixed in the upcoming release of iOS 7.1? I haven't heard anything mentioned about it.

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I didn't know there were issues with Find My Friends? Are geo-fencing issues specific to this app or in general? If the latter, than sure, I'd say it's probable it will get baked into 7.1. If it's only affecting the Find My Friends app, I wouldn't bank on it. It seems the apps are getting shortchanged as they rush to fix all the bugs in iOS 7.

I'll give a look-see next time I login to the developer portal and see if I can find anything referencing FMF.

3. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I've only noticed the problem with Find My Friends and that is the only app I use geo fencing with. The problem I've had is not being notified with an audio or vibratory notification if someone leaves or arrives at a location. It shows up in the notification center pull down screen but that is the only place. It was working for me before the update to iOS 7 but I cannot say for sure that iOS 7 is the culprit. Anything you can find out is appreciated. Thanks

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I can tell you that I have a geofencing app (smartthings) that does provide notifications when either my wife and I leave or come home. It's worked well.

I noticed a review on the App Store which details a similar experience as you are having:

"If the notifications were working, I'd give this a five star. I've used this app for quite a while and loved it.... A couple of IOS upgrades ago, the notifications stopped working."

Sounds like you are not alone.:(

5. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

From what I've seen on other sites and on the web it is not an uncommon problem. I was hoping to get some better info from everything iCafe as I consider this as a more authoritative source. Thanks again for all your help.

6. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Thanks, I appreciate you think so highly of everythingiCafe.

I didn't see anything in release notes to indicate it's fixed. I also spotted a developer who experienced the issue with iOS 7.1 beta 3, so it's not something which was fixed early on, if at all. Wish I had better or more informed news.

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

One can only hope a fix is in the works. As far as regarding this site as highly as I do, every time I've had a problem, this is the one place I have quickly found an answer or at least an effort at one. Additionally, the fact that you as the person who is the "Top Dog" so to speak, takes the time to try to answer users questions speaks volumes about the site in general and you in particular. Thanks again.

8. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

Geofencing is hit or miss for me. My GF and I have set up geofencing with her daughter so we know when she comes home from school or when she leaves the house. It doesn't work very well. Other apps work fine but Apple now requires apps to run in the background to get notifications. We used Life360 and the geofencing is spot on.

9. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

This report from MacRumors says iOS 7.1 will fix geofencing.

10. Napoleon PhoneApart

Senior Moderator

It'll fix JB, too. :(

11. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Thank you Chris, I appreciate the help.

12. ZR_Yancy

ZR_Yancy Genius
    Gold

That's awesome news! Life360 will be back the way it's supposed to be again. I'm paying for their premium service and felt let down when Apple changed the way location aware apps run in the background.

#12 ZR_Yancy, Feb 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2014