Geocaching with iPhone

ItalianBoston

Bronze
Aug 9, 2007
Who here Geocaches?

If the iPhone had GPS or may in the future, would you like to have someone write an app so that you could use it to Geocache?

BBasje

Mar 12, 2008
Does not sound like a bad idea. A app that can handle a bluetooth gps or something!
Like the idea! Only I'am not a programmar :)

coasts

Zealot
Gold
Jul 15, 2007
New York, NY
www.lomohomes.com
depthnerd, just out of curiosity why are you linking to an SDK download off rapidshare? it's free on Apple.com and it might serve them to know how many people have downloaded it.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
depthnerd, just out of curiosity why are you linking to an SDK download off rapidshare? it's free on Apple.com and it might serve them to know how many people have downloaded it.
I had it up there when the Apple site was getting bombed with traffic and people couldn't access the file, but now it's down I don't need it. I'm just too lazy to take it out.

iHuman

Bronze
Dec 16, 2006
Hells Kitchen, New York City
I used to geocache with my Treo650. However, I still like to rely on my garmin. If someone could figure it out, I would def. use the iPhone for it.

Jun 19, 2008
Yes!

Who here Geocaches?

If the iPhone had GPS or may in the future, would you like to have someone write an app so that you could use it to Geocache?
I own the iPhone now and am rather disappointed with its lack of possibilities.... Too bad its gonna take a second one to fix everything. I can't decided between it or the google approach w/ the Android software... quite frankly its gonna b the one who can deliver my application. I'm leaning google since it will all be open source which leads me to my point. I REALLY WANT TO GEOCACHE WITH MY PHONE. So whoever makes the best geocache/app features wins my heart cause can u imagine, getting the locations from your phone only to enter them into your phone to find! Truly paperless!

Jul 23, 2008
There was one

There actually was a geocaching application on the iTunes store for all of 12 hours. But then the developer requested it be taken down do to Groundspeak stating he did not have permission to utilize the geocaching.com website in a paid application.

I think the best we can hope for now is an application created by Groundspeak them selves which they will most likely charge a decent premium for.

I also use my blackberry for impromptu geocaching drips during lunch at work or right after work. However, the application I use is a subscription service. The name is eluding me right now, but it is quite handy to have a geocaching device in your pocket at all times.

gibby71

Silver
Jan 8, 2008
in a galaxy far far away...
Wow, this looks like fun. Never done this before. Just signed up.

To use google maps on the iPhone type in the search bar of google maps:
loc: Decimal,Decimal

The Decimal is the location you find on the Geoching site.

example. This is a local park near me > loc: 42.17018,-87.97787

Once you have it mapped you can bookmark the location on your phone.

Jul 6, 2007
Marietta, GA
about.me
Wow I just tried geocaching today for the first time! It's pretty cool. I just wish the app didn't cost so much. $10 is a little high...I just used the website and google maps, but it was kind of annoying.

spikedfo

Bronze
Oct 29, 2008
Sounds great. I will try it.