Get Emoji Icons for free - no jailbreak - no app

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I can't believe this hasn't been posted. If you don't want to buy and app and are on a stock phone (2.2 or 2.2.1) then all you need to do to get emoji is read this:
http://i.gizmodo.com/5138107/how-to-get-emoji-iphone-emoticons-for-free-without-jailbreaking

Step 1. Download the vcard.vcf here.
Step 2. Import it to your address book program. If you are using Windows, you may want to do it on iPhone directly. Send the vcard.vcf file to yourself. Open in on iPhone’s Email.app, click the vcf file and import all the contacts.
Step 3. Go into “Settings” > “General” > “Keyboard” > “Japanese Keyboard”. Enable the QWERTY keyboard.
Step 4. In notes or any other program you want. Type “emojia”, “emojii” or “emojiu” to select those :) icons.
Step 5. Happy Emoji!​

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
It works but it may not be as convenient as other methods.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I just wish there was a better way then adding them to the contacts.

TomRS

Bronze
Jan 19, 2008
The frostyplace for $1 works just fine. I'm on 2.2 right now though. I'm not sure what happens when you update to 2.2.1.

Feb 14, 2009
so, to make the method work, you must download the vcard to your computer then email it as an attachment to your phone (don't email the link). It then creates 27 contacts that have the emojii's in them. However, it's rather hokey and I'm not a fan of all the contacts. Also, getting to them requires you to type "emojii" on the jp keyboard before they appear. Not exactly convenient... but I guess it is "free".

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Read the above post ^
Spell number is the best way to get emojis