Get Music and Movies onto iPod, iPhone & iPod Touch Without iTunes

izone

Aug 13, 2007
Get Music and Movies onto iPod and iPod Touch Without iTunes

The iPod is a great music player, but one of the potential flaws is you are supposed to only use iTunes in order to add music to your iPod. For many people, it is not a big deal that you must use iTunes, but iTunes does have limitations. It is possible to add music to an iPod without iTunes by using other software that could offer more freedom and additional features which may not be offered by iTunes. This article without line a simple and efficient way to manage your ipod, iPhone or ipod touch media.

1. Set up your iPod to act as an external hard drive. Select the iPod on the iTunes source list after connecting the iPod to your computer. Open the iPod preferences window by clicking the "Options" button in the iTunes window and click the "Enable disk use" option.

2. Download Floola from floola.com. Floola is a free program that will allow you manage your iPod from any computer by running software off of your iPod. It is supported on Linux, Mac OS X and Windows.

3. Install Floola by dragging the application to the iPod and running the application from your iPod. That is all it takes, and if you want to uninstall, simply delete the application.

4. Add music by opening Floola off of your iPod, clicking on the "Item" menu and selecting "Add." You can now drag music from your computer into the box that opens and click "Add" to copy your music to your iPod. You can also expand the "Advanced" options to choose what playlist your song is copied into.

5. Close Floola, eject your iPod and listen to your music. Be sure you eject your iPod before you disconnect it from your computer. You can hold "Shift" when you close Floola to automatically eject your iPod.

Tips:

>> Floola can also sync video with your iPod if you have an iPod that has video playback capability.

>> Floola is compatible with multiple operating systems with only one install. So once you install Floola on your iPod, you can plug that same iPod into multiple computers running different operating systems and it should still function.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
That's nice, but the point of iTunes is that it works seamlessly with the iPod, as well as other applications. The interface is nice, and the fact that it is developed by the same company that created the iPod is a bonus.

- John

Jun 17, 2011
Um, LIES. It says right on the top of the home page of Floola that its not compatible with the iPhone or iPod touch. So why the F did they put "iPhone & iPod Touch" in the title of this article? It cant be done. A moderator in the Floola forums even confirmed there is no support for these devices, nor likely will ever be. This article stinks.

Jun 17, 2011
That's nice, but the point of iTunes is that it works seamlessly with the iPod, as well as other applications. The interface is nice, and the fact that it is developed by the same company that created the iPod is a bonus.

- John
I acknowledge your pros. Now here are some cons. It's well known iTunes adds a lot of services and crap on your PC. As an avid gamer, I want as little as possible running in the background to help my games' performance. I don't want iTunes swamping up my PC. Second, the notion of being able to add / access files from only one or a few PC's is idiotic. It's not going to stop piracy. Even with my no-name-brand mp3 player, I don't take it over to my friend's place and swap mp3s. People are still going to download the music illegally and then just transfer to it their ipod via iTunes. Disallowing access to the ipod from any PC wont stop the problem in the least..it's just a huge inconvenience. I'm at work right now and just downloaded a podcast that I'd really love to put on my ipod and listen to when i go for a walk at lunch time. But thats right... I cant because I have no way of getting it on my ipod while Im here at work. This was a poor decision by Apple imo.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
This thread is more than three years old. There are many apps in the App Store that allow you to do this now. You don't have to buy content from iTunes to be able to immediately play it on the iPhone. You can play downloads, including podcasts and music, outside of iTunes. Check out Downloads Download Manager.