Get Music from iPod

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
I've got some music on my iPod that I'd like to offload to my PC before enabling music sync. Anyway to do this?

Background:
4th gen iPod touch.
Flashed as new to 5.0 on release of iOS 5.0.
Currently configured to sync apps and podcasts via wifi with iTunes 10.5.0.142
OTA update to 5.0.1
Not jailbroken.

I've bought some music from the iPod iTunes app that does NOT show up in my desktop iTunes (Win7 64-bit), either in STORE | PURCHASED or in DEVICES | iPOD | PURCHASED. I only have one iTunes account.

I'd like to set syncing on Music but desktop iTunes says, "all existing content on the iPod will be removed".

I assume I can repurchase the songs from desktop iTunes at no charge but I'd rather just get the files off the iPod, set sync, store the music to my desktop library and push back to the iPod via drag and sync.

Is this possible?

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Grrr.

So after syncing music I ended up with duplicate songs with some of them not playing. Even other songs that didn't have duplicates would only play sometimes and sometimes not.
So now I've connected the iPod by USB, removed sync wifi and disabled music sync.
Most of the songs have disappeared from the iPod with the exception of the ones that listed duplicates earlier. Now they have single instances listed that don't actually play.
Also as expected desktop iTunes has a music sub-directory that does not list any content.

I'm hoping there's an alternative other than a full restore or full restore as new. BTW I've already hard booted the unit.

Can SharePod let me manually purge the music? Looking into this route now.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
And SharePod reports that my iPod has 0 music. Looks like the like the music objects on the iPod are false artifacts. How to purge without restore? TIA

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
And SharePod reports that my iPod has 0 music. Looks like the like the music objects on the iPod are false artifacts. How to purge without restore? TIA
Seems like you have few options:
1) Reboot
2) Hard Reset
3) Can manually delete them from the iPod?
4) Try syncing again with Music unchecked in the iTunes Tab.
I'm sure you've tried most of these but nothing else comes to mind.

iP5

Evangelist
Gold
Sep 7, 2010
Toronto
Seems like you have few options:
1) Reboot
2) Hard Reset
3) Can manually delete them from the iPod?
4) Try syncing again with Music unchecked in the iTunes Tab.
I'm sure you've tried most of these but nothing else comes to mind.
How do I manually delete them from the iPod, tried long press and looked everywhere for the garbage can. I'm sure it's my lack of familiarity with these iOS details.

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
How do I manually delete them from the iPod, tried long press and looked everywhere for the garbage can. I'm sure it's my lack of familiarity with these iOS details.
Not sure on iPod, but on the iPhone you just swipe right across the song and the delete button will appear.