Get the iPhone 3GS for $75 cheaper

drewlrocks

Bronze
Jul 11, 2008
I was thinking and if i were to cancel my att contract for $125 then buy the iPhone 3gs for $300 wouldn't it be cheaper? 125+300=$425 500-425=$75 thereforee i would be saving $75 right? correct me if im wrong.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
This is true, but I think there may be a wait period between cancellation and activation, and you will lose your phone number.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
In addition to the downfalls that Dave mentioned, you will also have to pay an activation fee. So that brings the savings down to around $45. Additionally, you'll start right back at square one with the eligibility status. If you just pay the full cost this year, you'll be eligible for subsidization next year. If you don't pay full cost this year, you'll have to next year. That is unless you plan on doing this every year. And they will see that you have annual cancellations and I'm sure that's frowned upon.

Basically what it comes down to is that there are no true ways out of it. Just facades that make you think you saved the money, but it all catches up eventually. AT&T has been around since the invention of the telephone (seriously), if you can think of it, they've already thought of it long ago.

Anyway, is all this hassle and losing your phone number really worth the $45 savings you would get right now?

cdc515

Bronze
Jun 10, 2009
Just call up ATT threaten to cancel and they will most likely ask you why just be like I want a new iPhone 3GS and that is the reason I am cancelling I am willing to pay the $199 for it. (This may or may not work)
If they don't agree to let you upgrade then tell them that you would like to cancel the service and you will be moving to TMobile. Port your number to TMobile and that will cancel your account with ATT automatically. Att will then call you in about a week and try to convince you to come back offering you incentives or whatever. Also you still have 30 days to get out of your TMobile contract with no EFT just port your number back to ATT and you should be able to get your iPhone 3GS and your original price with no activation fees (activation fees are waived if you switch from an existing wireless company such as verizon tmobile etc.) you also get to keep your number through the whole deal.

If ATT says to you that you will not be able to use your iPhone 3G on tmobile and you will be without one anyways say I have unlocked my phone and can use it on any network i wish and if your not going to help me out im not going to give you businesss. don't be rude though.

swampduck

Bronze
Oct 19, 2007
Just call up ATT threaten to cancel and they will most likely ask you why just be like I want a new iPhone 3GS and that is the reason I am cancelling I am willing to pay the $199 for it. (This may or may not work)
If they don't agree to let you upgrade then tell them that you would like to cancel the service and you will be moving to TMobile. Port your number to TMobile and that will cancel your account with ATT automatically. Att will then call you in about a week and try to convince you to come back offering you incentives or whatever. Also you still have 30 days to get out of your TMobile contract with no EFT just port your number back to ATT and you should be able to get your iPhone 3GS and your original price with no activation fees (activation fees are waived if you switch from an existing wireless company such as verizon tmobile etc.) you also get to keep your number through the whole deal.
Or add a line for $10, buy the new iPhone at subsidized pricing, switch sims and call it a day...of course you will have to pay $10 a month for 2 years...but I guess you could cancel at $175 and save yourself $65

Or, just suck it up and wait

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I thought the EFT for AT&T was $175? Am I wrong on that one?

But like it was said before, you have the new customer fee plus I'm pretty sure you have to wait 90 days between cancelling your AT&T account and getting a new one. I remember reading that number somewhere. Is all that hassle really worth it for $45 or even $75.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I'm doing this, too. Not true about the 90 day wait. Not true about any future subsidy benefit/cost. I've already ordered mine, and won't cancel the old one until after I activate the new one. I've done this numerous times before. Yes, changing numbers is a bit of a hassle, I mainly hate to put my friends and family through that, but it's sort of a stand on principle. Because AT&T (like all utility service providers) treat new customers better than old customers this is necessary. Everybody has a right to obtain the best deal they can. You can bet AT&T and Apple are going out of their way to get as much money out of you as they can. You can bet there are AT&T and Apple reps behind many of the posts attempting to downplay this issue and calling people whiners for expecting a fair deal from companies that are making billions of dollars even during a recession.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
[eyeroll] Yeah, I'm an AT&T rep. Ok there...

unnecessary

Bronze
Jul 20, 2008
60 day wait period. If you try within that period it will reactivate your same account with same upgrade stats.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Hmmm, 175 dollar (minus 5 dollars per month you've had the contract) ETF and you lose your number.

Extra 200 dollars and keep your number....

This may make a huge difference for some people but to me the extra 25 dollars + 30 dollars (6 months into new contract) so 55 bucks was worth it to avoid the headache and keep my number.