Get your Wallpapers in the "Wallpaper" directory in "Settings"

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
I know someone not-too-long ago asked if this was possible, and i thought it was, but couldn't try it because i couldn't jailbreak my 1.1.3 phone at the time. So now that i jailbroke last night, i gave it a shot, and it works!

all you have to to is upload a 320x480 .png image (for example image.png) AND a 60x60 .png image (with this naming scheme to match the full-size version: image.thumbnail.png) to this directory on your iPhone: /Library/Wallpaper. Once you do that, they'll show up just like the Earth, Mona Lisa, Monet, etc...

i haven't tried it with other image types yet, but i'm not sure if the thumbnails will work properly if you use anything besides a .png.

cubbie5150

Bronze
Dec 16, 2007
You don't even need to add the thumbnail image...at least I didn't have to. I did this also on my JB 1.1.2--I simply backed-up the default wallpapers, then deleted them off my phone; I uploaded only the 320x480 .png images, restarted springboard. Then I re-connected via SSH, opened that folder, and all the thumbnails were created automatically...at least this is what happened for me!

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Yup. Did this about a week ago; I got tired of having a Photo Album entitled 'iPhone Wallpapers' so now my Wallpapers directory has 86 images in it.

BTW - only .png's work. Thumbnails won't be created with .jpgs.

- John