Getting a replacemnt

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
So my iPhone 3g randomly reboots by itself for some reason and im taking it back to the Apple store today, when i get there can i just open the box and pop in the sim card or do i have to wait till i get home for the phone to work and use iTunes and sync my contacts?

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
The Genius should pop in the SIM card into the replacement and then plug it in to iTunes. You won't have contacts or anything, but your phone will be activated.

uPhone559

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
the sim card comes pre-installed in the iPhone, if i take the one with all my contacts and put it in the new iPhone they still wont show up?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
the sim card comes pre-installed in the iPhone, if i take the one with all my contacts and put it in the new iPhone they still wont show up?
Contacts are not stored on the sim card. You will get those back when you sync your new phone.

johnlt

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Contacts are not stored on the sim card. You will get those back when you sync your new phone.
not sure that is true, when i got my iPhone they popped in my 3G sim from my blackjack and all my contacts were there.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
not sure that is true, when i got my iPhone they popped in my 3G sim from my blackjack and all my contacts were there.
Are you replacing your phone at the Genius Bar or trading it for a brand new phone?

If you had a BlackJack, that's why your contacts were saved to your SIM card.

To get your contacts back, go into Settings, Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Scroll down and tap the Import SIM contacts button.

johnlt

Bronze
Feb 5, 2009
Are you replacing your phone at the Genius Bar or trading it for a brand new phone?.
Not sure what this means but my BJ went in the toilet and died so i went to ATT and just upgraded to the iPhone and used my old sim as it survived the dunk but phone did not.. BTW whats a Genius Bar. So when i add contacts to my phone it will not store them on my sim?