getting a samsung blackjack instead?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
so i'm thinking of getting theblackjack instead for a number of reasons, like no bugs, 3g, and its cheaper and has got more features than the iPhone. and apparently browsing the web o it would look jst like the iPhone, just smaller. what do you guys thik? i just think the iPhone is too bugy, faulty, expensve,less features than smart pda phones and slow internet. what do you guys think?

brittt1

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
so i'm thinking of getting theblackjack instead for a number of reasons, like no bugs, 3g, and its cheaper and has got more features than the iPhone. and apparently browsing the web o it would look jst like the iPhone, just smaller. what do you guys thik? i just think the iPhone is too bugy, faulty, expensve,less features than smart pda phones and slow internet. what do you guys think?

Do you have an iPhone or just basing this on reading posts here? I had a blackjack, returned it fairly quickly....sloooowwwwww is the word i would use and whilst it has some good features it does crash and 3 G is not any faster on the blackjack than Edge is on the iPhone.

If you're hunting for the perfect phone you'll never find one!. To me after having a pearl and a blackjack i way prefer the iPhone (i get email which is easy to setup, I get ipod, i get movies and i get Internet, im pretty sure most people don't hardcore use the internet, you use it when you're out to look for stuff or if you're bored and not near a PC, so does edge vs 3G really matter? to me not one bit)

If you're looking for a hardcore businesss phone then prob the iPhone isn't for you, if that is the case then the Blackberry Pearl is better than the blackjack.

snowcrash

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
If you don't want the iPhone I'd look at the Blackberry 8820 (just released today on ATT) it has GPS, WiFi, Push email, SMS, MMS etc etc. Just no camera. I would also wait till around the 25th or so because they are coming out with the new AT&T Moto Q Global and not that nasty one VZW has (the Q9m or whatever which is just a normal Q with a face lift). The ATT one will also have GPS and 3G and Quad band as well. Its a whole new device. I would hold off on getting anything new for a couple weeks and let some people get these devices and see how the reviews are going. Plus the blackjack is weak and everyone I've known who has had one hated it. And to boot its now kind of "old" in the cell world and wouldn't want to be locked into that phone for any length of time.

Right now I'm leaning towards the BB 8820 but want to wait for the Q9 just to see how thats working out for people. I think I'll make my final choice around the beginning of Oct and stick with the iPhone for now.

iCheez

Sep 4, 2007
I was actually comparing smartphones at the beginning of the week. Unless you are in the position to resign a contract with AT&T, the total costs with any smartphone is higher than the iPhone. The data plan is a higher monthly cost and if you aren't resigning, the cost of the phone wasn't that much cheaper.

Jul 1, 2007
Blackjack Works Great!

[qu ote=ipod;104811]so i'm thinking of getting theblackjack instead for a number of reasons, like no bugs, 3g, and its cheaper and has got more features than the iPhone. and apparently browsing the web o it would look jst like the iPhone, just smaller. what do you guys thik? i just think the iPhone is too bugy, faulty, expensve,less features than smart pda phones and slow internet. what do you guys think?[/quote]

I luv my BJ, No Problems plus you can hear and talk on it!

goblues38

Bronze
Sep 7, 2007
i just think the iPhone is too bugy, faulty, expensve,less features than smart pda phones ?
When are people going to realize the iPhone is not supposed to be a "smart phone". It was created to fill the hole in the market between a normal cell phone (RAZOR) and a full blown smart phone (AT&T 8525)

When you look at it from that point of view, it does what it does quite well. Stop talking about what the phone wont do, and comment on what it does do.

If i wanted echange email, video, chat, excell....i wouldn't have bought this phone.

I wanted internet, basic mail, phone, and mp3 play back. = iPhone

I am not coolaid drinker....this is the first Apple product i have ever bought, and only did so because I DID MY RESEARCH.

iPhone69

Bronze
Jul 13, 2007
South Florida
When are people going to realize the iPhone is not supposed to be a "smart phone". It was created to fill the hole in the market between a normal cell phone (RAZOR) and a full blown smart phone (AT&T 8525)

When you look at it from that point of view, it does what it does quite well. Stop talking about what the phone wont do, and comment on what it does do.

If i wanted echange email, video, chat, excell....i wouldn't have bought this phone.

I wanted internet, basic mail, phone, and mp3 play back. = iPhone

I am not coolaid drinker....this is the first Apple product i have ever bought, and only did so because I DID MY RESEARCH.

Such a smart man. No one really seems to get it.

Dawgfan

Bronze
Jul 27, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you don't want the iPhone I'd look at the Blackberry 8820 (just released today on ATT) it has GPS, WiFi, Push email, SMS, MMS etc etc. Just no camera. I would also wait till around the 25th or so because they are coming out with the new AT&T Moto Q Global and not that nasty one VZW has (the Q9m or whatever which is just a normal Q with a face lift). The ATT one will also have GPS and 3G and Quad band as well. Its a whole new device. I would hold off on getting anything new for a couple weeks and let some people get these devices and see how the reviews are going. Plus the blackjack is weak and everyone I've known who has had one hated it. And to boot its now kind of "old" in the cell world and wouldn't want to be locked into that phone for any length of time.

Right now I'm leaning towards the BB 8820 but want to wait for the Q9 just to see how thats working out for people. I think I'll make my final choice around the beginning of Oct and stick with the iPhone for now.
I second this BIG TIME.
I would not go with a Blackjack.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
The BlackJack has been out for some time now, and as a marketable product its just a speck on the windshield of the Apple marketing machine.

This train has just pulled on to the tracks and we haven't even left the station yet. We've already got native 3rd party applications, and there are a number of iPhone enabled websites and web applications launched every week.

Some food for thought, the Blackjack will always be a BlackJack, but the iPhone continues to be more.

I will say this though, 3G is incredible. O M F G I miss it...

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
you all make excellent points. i just got back from my local att store and played with a black jack for 30mins, and i thought i was able to use the net just lke i would on my lap top. i was wrong. the websites look just like they would on iPhone, but quicker (3g), what it has in common with the iPhone though that makes me not want these 2 phones is that internet is limited. i cant stream videos on youtube or other streaming sites. what im really looking for is a phone that'll get me on the internet exactly just like it would on my lap top. thats it! that is all i want. but right now im starting to think that nothing like this exists. so i may have to hold for a while :( unless you guys can suggest a phone with internet capabilities just like a desktop/laptop. thanks

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
The BlackJack has been out for some time now, and as a marketable product its just a speck on the windshield of the Apple marketing machine.

This train has just pulled on to the tracks and we haven't even left the station yet. We've already got native 3rd party applications, and there are a number of iPhone enabled websites and web applications launched every week.

Some food for thought, the Blackjack will always be a BlackJack, but the iPhone continues to be more.

I will say this though, 3G is incredible. O M F G I miss it...
What he^ said...

;)

lucky8926

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
Central IL
I had a blackjack before I got my iPhone and I will admit it is a very nice phone. It does a lot of things that the iPhone can't do (take video, send bluetooth files, etc) but the WOW factor on the iPhone takes the cake... I do miss my blackjack but then I start scrolling through my iPhone and forget about it.....

mshaw1515

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Had the Blackjack

I had the blackjack as well (still sitting here on my desk). Looks good, Goodlink works well, battery life is good, etc. It's a great smartphone.

But the iPhone is so much more fun! You'll be bored with the Blackjack after an hour...

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Safari destroys IE on WM Smartphone. 3G is nice and Outlook is great if you have multiple email accounts (ie. Power User). Mail beats out Outlook for true HTML email display. Obviously, there are a wealth of 3rd party apps for the BlackJack. Multimedia is again no comparison. iPhone wins hands down. The overall GUI of smartphone is extremely menu driven, taking a few steps to get to the various options and settings. In general, touch screen devices vs non-touch are two completely different animals. It all depends on what is important to you. I haven't spent much time with the BlackJack, but do have a good amount of experience with Windows Mobile Smartphone. BTW, if you are considering the BlackJack, I'd steer you towards the Moto Q 9. Includes WM6, nice updated QWERTY keyboard, integrated IM app, GPS.... and of course it's 3G. No word on the drop date, but it's rumored to be September 25th.

I'd recommend you visit an Apple Store and spend some time with the iPhone. Then wander down to AT&T and try the BlackJack. They are vastly different phones and price points for that matter.

-Chris

Last edited:

ipod

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
thanks. but like i said, can you guys perhaps suggest a phone (if it exists) that can provide web browsing quality like on a desktop/laptop? i want to be able to view the web like i would on my laptop and stream whatever i wanted. and quick. to me that would be my perfect phone.

Sep 5, 2007
I just got an iPhone after using a Blackjack with AT&T / Cingular for about a year. IMHO, it depends mostly on how badly you need the Blackjack's businesss e-mail (i.e., MS Exchange Active Sync or Goodlink) capabilities. If access to corporate e-mail is crucial, as it is for many people, then you should go with a Blackjack (or Treo, Q, 8185, etc.) because the iPhone simply doesn't have the same level of capability right now. Similarly, if you love 3rd party applications and a diversity of add-ons, Windows Mobile phones like Blackjack have a large lead in that department as well.

Otherwise, I've found the iPhone works better for me in almost every way. Unlike some, I find it has better cellphone performance than the Blackjack (although experiences certainly seem to vary widely in that department), has much, much, much easier UI, and the web browser is no contest - Safari blows away the WAP "browser" in the Blackjack. Also, I think most people will agree that the Blackjack has some problems in the battery life department (Jobs' rationale for no 3G on the iPhone). As for 3G, it hasn't been a big deal for me for three reasons: (1) I never found the difference in real-world 3G and EDGE speeds here in Atlanta to be as great as AT&T marketing would lead you to believe; (2) All the 3G speed in the world doesn't mean much when you are accessing the internet through a lousy WAP browser and can't even access a lot of html pages; and (3) The WiFi implementation in the iPhone is good enough, and WiFi coverage widespread enough, that you'll get a high-speed connection on the iPhone more often than you think.

While the iPhone costs more upfront (at least now - I paid $300 for my Blackjack a year ago), the $20 a month iPhone dataplan may pay back the difference over the 2-year contract when compared with what you have to pay for some of AT&T's Blackjack plans (my Goodlink Connect plan, which offered less than the iPhone data plan, was $35 a month)

Maybe take advantage of AT&T's 30-day trial period and try them both?