Getting an iPhone along with a non-iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

xp5d8

Sep 30, 2007
Boy, you'd think this would be easy!

I want to switch from Verizon with my 2 cell phones. My "plan" is to get 1 iPhone and 1 regular plain-old cell phone from AT&T. My simple question to AT&T was, "How much will the plan cost?" I still don't have a straight answer.

They keep leaning towards the $109.99 for 2 phones, but that's assuming 2 iPhones! I would have thought it would be similar to a 2 cell phone plan and add $20 for the data.

Has anyone done this? I'm sure I can't be the first!

Would it be easier to get two regular phones and then change one out for an iPhone with the extra $20 data plan?

This should not be difficult!

Thanks!

jbone108

Bronze
Sep 16, 2007
I’m in the same situation as you (switching from Verizon). What I’ve decided to do is get a free phone from ATT and then upgrade to the iPhone. From everything I’ve read and been told by ATT employees when I go into to activate the iPhone I will just have to add the $20. iPhone data plan and extend my contract 2 years from the date of the iPhone activation. Hope this helps

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Boy, you'd think this would be easy!

I want to switch from Verizon with my 2 cell phones. My "plan" is to get 1 iPhone and 1 regular plain-old cell phone from AT&T. My simple question to AT&T was, "How much will the plan cost?" I still don't have a straight answer.

They keep leaning towards the $109.99 for 2 phones, but that's assuming 2 iPhones! I would have thought it would be similar to a 2 cell phone plan and add $20 for the data.

Has anyone done this? I'm sure I can't be the first!

Would it be easier to get two regular phones and then change one out for an iPhone with the extra $20 data plan?

This should not be difficult!

Thanks!
I just switched my BB line to the iPhone line (we have 2 lines also). That was easy. If they are confused you may have to get the 2 regular lines and switch it out. Just take the cheap free phone. Or call another store with a different rep. Maybe you will eventually get a straight answer!

xp5d8

Sep 30, 2007
Thanks for the info! Here's a follow-on question:

I know Apple doesn't allow the plan to be discounted, but I can get a discount plan through work for the regular cell phones. If I get the two regular phones with the discounted plan, when I swap one our for the iPhone (with the $20 additional payment), can I still pay the "discounted" rate?

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thanks for the info! Here's a follow-on question:

I know Apple doesn't allow the plan to be discounted, but I can get a discount plan through work for the regular cell phones. If I get the two regular phones with the discounted plan, when I swap one our for the iPhone (with the $20 additional payment), can I still pay the "discounted" rate?
I think no discounted rates for iPhone (from what I understand), but you can always try. I was exisiting AT&T before I got the iPhone so I just switched one of my lines. I have an old plan that does not exist for new customers now. It was when I signed up for Cingular service when I left AT&T for bad service! lol! Now they have me back anyway. I don't think it is right to have to pay for 2 iPhone lines if you only have one iPhone. I still think you should call a bunch of stores in your area, try to get an answer. If you get a good answer, get that rep's name and ask for that person when you go in to buy the phones and service. Good luck! I love my iPhone so much. Do not miss the BB pearl at all.

skaught

Sep 11, 2007
We just did this and the plan was the 2-iphone plane - $20. Then my wife wanted an iPhone so we turned in her new standard phone and upped our monthly fee! But originally it was a $20 discount (basically minus the data plan).

Scott