Getting an iPhone soon - what extras do I need?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
Good morning!

I am getting an iPhone soon. I know that I will need to buy it a nice case (will probably get one of those flexi-skins). Is there anything else I need to be prepared to buy immediately with the iPhone? Any extra cables, chargers, etc? I want to make sure I get out of the Apple store with everything I need.

Thank you,
Glenneth

Quake97

Silver
Jul 10, 2007
Philly Burbs
Your #1 accessory purchase should be a case. I'm using the Incase one myself right now, but the leather signature case from Case-mate will be arriving on Friday. The Incase is nice, but it's too "sticky" for me. It's too hard to get out of my pocket. The rubberized nature is nice for holding thought since it's not at all slipperly like a nekkid iPhone.

Other than that, it depends on your needs. Do you want/need a bluetooth headset? What about additional cradles or chargers? Personally, I bought another cradle kit from Apple since it was the same price as buying a cable and charger separately.

I would really like to get the Apple headset, but its too much money in my opinion.

Joe

gkreed

Bronze
Jul 17, 2007
An extra cradle is a great idea since I will be using it a lot at work also. Do you remember how much that cost?

thanks!

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Invest in a case that protects your iPhone should/when you drop it. I have a tiny scratch on the back corner of my iPhone and it bugs the heck out of me. It could have been prevented if I had invested in a case on day 1. Instead, I opted to use a FoofPod case I had lying around. I normally love the Foofpod -- use it for my iPod, Moto Q and even my Treo. The iPhone is too small and when I dropped it, it just slid out.

Testing and using the Belkin Holster Case -- solid protection and no slippage.

You can read more iPhone case reviews here.

Bluetooth headsets are great -- no wires. Popular headsets will include the Apple headset (of course) and the Jawbone.

Good luck and enjoy your new iPhone!

-Chris

Last edited:

mernst

Silver
Jul 11, 2007
Gulfport, Ms
Invest in a case that protects your iPhone should/when you drop it. I have a tiny scratch on the back corner of my iPhone and it bugs the heck out of me. It could have been prevented if I had invested in a case on day 1. Instead, I opted to use a FoofPod case I had lying around. I normally love the Foofpod -- use it for my iPod, Moto Q and even my Treo. The iPhone is too small and when I dropped it, it just slid out.

Testing and using the Belkin Holster Case -- solid protection and no slippage.

You can read more iPhone case reviews here.

Bluetooth headsets are great -- no wires. Popular headsets will include the Apple headset (of course) and the Jawbone.

Good luck and enjoy your new iPhone!

-Chris

Yeah... You should get the jawbone headset... its the Best!

Last edited by a moderator:

brinky

Bronze
Jul 24, 2007
Atlanta, Ga
An extra cradle is a great idea since I will be using it a lot at work also. Do you remember how much that cost?

thanks!
Just bought a new iPhone cradle today to keep at the office. Cost:$49.00 includes the USB cable and the power supply. Although if you have any USB ipode cables laying around you can always use them to charge your iPhone from a computers USB port. And you can get by with using a ipod cradle as well, you just can't plug headphones into the back of it and listen to music on the iPhone like you can with the regular iPhone dock.

Martlet

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
- a screen protector. You may never scratch it, but it's only $10-20, which is cheap insurance for the glass.

- a case. This depends on your clumsiness factor, your usage, and your patience. If you're a klutzy, put a steel belted radial tire around it! If you're not, be careful, and pick something you like. If you prefer in your pocket/purse to on your belt, and/or if you dock it every day (or multiple times a day) you may not want a "case" case. I use a microfiber bag to protect it from anything that might get in my pocket with it because I don't want to remove a case every time I dock it, and don't want the extra bulk in my pocket.

- insurance. Contact your home owners/renters insurance provider and find out if you can get it covered under a separate rider with no/low deductible.

- very mild cleaner (aka water), and a good microfiber cloth. The Apple guys I hang out with swear by the iKlear kit, more because it's there in the store, and the clothes it comes with are huge. They don't care as much about the cleaning solution it comes with, just refill with water (and a tiny bit of soap if you want) when you use it up. But the microfiber (aka polyester) cloth is essential, it's lint free, unlike natural fibers like cotton (check your dryer lint trap after washing polyester vs. cotton to see which is lint free).

- a contact database that syncs.
- a photo program that syncs.
- Safari (even if you don't use it for anything else, use it to set bookmarks for the iPhone that sync... like the bookmarklet that turns links into "open in a new page" links!).

- Any spare dock connector cables you can get your hands on (they always come in handy, keep them near any USB 2.0 ports you may want to charge from).

- Check ipod car audio forums for your best in car options (the suggested FM transmitter isn't the best option, unless it's your particular car's _only_ option).

- Check video forums for your video conversion needs.

jbaraga

Bronze
Jun 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
www.baraga.me
1. Screen protector. I bought the Power Support Crystal Film at the Apple store, and it's great. If for no other reason, I like the peace of mind of having something between the screen and whatever I might have forgotten to take out of my pocket.

2. Bluetooth headset. IMO, it doesn't get any better than Aliph's Jawbone.

3. A real set of headphones/earbuds. I can barely tolerate the stock earbuds. The sound quality is crummy and they always feel like they're going to fall out of my ears. I have a set of Shure E2c, and they're fantastic. I enjoy my music 100x more through them.

4. Case. Although I don't really say that with much conviction. I have the InCase Protective Cover in black, although I don't keep it on all the time. When I'm at home or at my office, I usually don't have any case on at all. When I'm out & about, in the car, or somewhere else my iPhone would be more likely to fall on a hard surface & get damaged, I'll put it on. I prefer the look & feel of the iPhone with no case at all, but I think it's worth having one for the right occasions.

Last edited by a moderator: