Getting an iPhone to use a Windows XP laptop wired Internet connection?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Has anyone been successful getting an iPhone to use a Windows XP laptop wired internet connection through the laptops wi-fi?

Essentially turning the laptop into a router? I have a situation where I cannot use a router but would like to use my laptops fast ethernet connection (instead of edge) and wi-fi capability. I know routers are pretty cheap, but it seems it should be possible to connect to a laptop through wi-fi and then be able to use the wired ethernet connection of the laptop? I have tried setting up my laptop to share its internet connection using "Internet Connection Sharing" and setting up an "ad-hoc" connection between the iPhone and my laptop, but it does not seem to work? Someone told me that iPhone's do not support ad-hoc connections (true/false)? Has anyone setup an ad-hoc connection to a laptop and used Windows interent connection sharing? An other alternatives or ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Spin This!

Silver
May 4, 2007
The iPhone supports ad-hoc networks. Does your iPhone "see" your laptop's connection? What exactly do you mean by "it does not seem to work"?

I am able to share my Mac's connection so I'd assume it sharing should work roughly the same way on Windows.

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
The iPhone supports ad-hoc networks. Does your iPhone "see" your laptop's connection? What exactly do you mean by "it does not seem to work"?

I am able to share my Mac's connection so I'd assume it sharing should work roughly the same way on Windows.

I can create an ad-hoc connection between the iPhone and my laptop and I can setup my laptop wired ethernet connect to share its ethernet connection but when I try to access the internet from my iPhone through the ad-hoc it does not resovle the DNS and just times out? I manually set the DNS field on the iPhone to be the same as the DNS on my wired ethernet connection and set it to the ip of the laptop but neither allows me to get to the internet. It seems like I am close but need guidance on how to setup both the iPhone settings and my Windows laptop settings.

thanks!

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
bump

Any experts have any ideas?

I tried some windows proxy servers but have not figured out how to connect to windows laptop using ad-hoc and configure iPhone safari to use proxy.

I am stuck

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
bump

Any experts have any ideas?

I tried some windows proxy servers but have not figured out how to connect to windows laptop using ad-hoc and configure iPhone safari to use proxy.

I am stuck
I am no expert. But I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

Seriously, I have successfuly used ICS between my Windows Vista laptop and iPhone. I couldn't get it to work using WPA though (worked fine if unprotected). I then tried WEP and it worked. Having to use WEP is no biggie since I only intend to use it sporadically (such as at a hotel or other location where my laptop will be plugged into Ethernet or broadband card and no other WiFi is available for my iPhone).

Haven't tried ICS with my XP Pro laptop yet, but would assume it would work similarly.

--
Mike

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
I am no expert. But I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

--
Mike
Great news... You are definitely more of an expert than me. Can you tell me some details of how your settings? Specifically how you setup your ad hoc, ip addresses, router address, dns, etc. I have read somewhere that ics assumes certain ip address ranges?

Thanks

Tom

tj911t

Bronze
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for the link. I have watched this several times and still have not been successful? My confusion is what settings to I set on my iPhone for IP address, Router, and DNS on the Wi-Fi settings page? Do I set the IP address to DHCP or Static? Should the Router setting be set to the IP address of my laptop? Should the DNS setting be set to the IP address of my laptop or the DNS servers that my laptop wired connection is using (based off of looking at the output of > ipconfig/all)?

Another possibility is that my laptop setup is conflicting with ICS? It is my work laptop that is configured through a domain while at work but I usually can use it fine at home on my router (except that I cannot see my Windows Networking shared folders or printers without specifying the IP address of the shared computer?). I have also tried ICS on my daughters Vista laptop (without any domain setup) and still could not get ICS to work. I hate giving up on this.

skipere

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
to be honest , I did not try it myself, I think you just have to do the logical way is to try one step at a time to see what work . That what I would do , Good luck .
Thanks for the link. I have watched this several times and still have not been successful? My confusion is what settings to I set on my iPhone for IP address, Router, and DNS on the Wi-Fi settings page? Do I set the IP address to DHCP or Static? Should the Router setting be set to the IP address of my laptop? Should the DNS setting be set to the IP address of my laptop or the DNS servers that my laptop wired connection is using (based off of looking at the output of > ipconfig/all)?

Another possibility is that my laptop setup is conflicting with ICS? It is my work laptop that is configured through a domain while at work but I usually can use it fine at home on my router (except that I cannot see my Windows Networking shared folders or printers without specifying the IP address of the shared computer?). I have also tried ICS on my daughters Vista laptop (without any domain setup) and still could not get ICS to work. I hate giving up on this.

Sep 14, 2007
i did this. the iPhone now has a different ip(x.x.0.x) than my whole network(x.x.2.x). Is there a way that the iPhone can be recognized for the whole network and not just a part of the computer hosting the adhoc

piloting

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007

I found that link and set it up successfully. The trick is to setup the IP address and it didn't tell you.

You have to setup the static IP instead of DHCP because your PC cannot be a THCP server. The PC is responsible to route the traffic between the iPhone and the router.

Also the iPhone has to have the real DNS server address

My setup is on the PC

192.168.0.1 - for IP
255.255.255.0 - for subnet
X.X.X.X - for default gateway (found by ipconfig/all at PC)

X.X.X.X - for Prefer/Alt DNS (found by ipconfig /all at PC)

on the iPhone
192.168.0.2 - for IP
192.168.0.1 - for Router
X.X.X.X - for DNS (found by ipconfig /all at PC)

Notice the 192.168.0.1 is a separate private network from your main network from your ethernet. If your ethernet side also use 192.168.0.X. You can switch to 192.168.1.1 instead.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I found that link and set it up successfully. The trick is to setup the IP address and it didn't tell you.

You have to setup the static IP instead of DHCP because your PC cannot be a THCP server. The PC is responsible to route the traffic between the iPhone and the router.
As an FYI I've used ICS since its inception and it has always provided DHCP-like functionality.

I use it now with my iPhone and a Vista laptop, and do not need to use static IPs. As usual it populates my IP as 192.168.0.x, DNS as 192.168.0.1, and gateway (router on the iPhone) as 192.168.0.1. These have been the same with ICS since Windows 98 SE. I just used this at a hotel that had wired but not wireless 'Net access (though I am not fond of Vista's handling of ad-hoc networks).

--
Mike

spyboy

Oct 5, 2007
As an FYI I've used ICS since its inception and it has always provided DHCP-like functionality.

I use it now with my iPhone and a Vista laptop, and do not need to use static IPs. As usual it populates my IP as 192.168.0.x, DNS as 192.168.0.1, and gateway (router on the iPhone) as 192.168.0.1. These have been the same with ICS since Windows 98 SE. I just used this at a hotel that had wired but not wireless 'Net access (though I am not fond of Vista's handling of ad-hoc networks).

--
Mike
Really? i wonder wut your settings are because i've tried everything and nothing works..... Does anybody have a very DETAILED :laugh2: tuturial .... I know something about computers and i thought i could do it on my own but when i tried to connect it didn't work on any (my laptop n iPhone)......... So u now ppl..

sim_samy

Jan 21, 2010
its working PILOTING, give this try, u were almost very very close to the success

"I found that link and set it up successfully. The trick is to setup the IP address and it didn't tell you.
My setup is on the PC
192.168.0.1 - for IP
on the iPhone
192.168.0.2 - for IP
192.168.0.1 - for Router
Notice the 192.168.0.1 is a separate private network from your main network from your ethernet. If your ethernet side also use 192.168.0.X. You can switch to 192.168.1.1 instead"

im using Windows XP, iPhone 3g

you have make the setup as below

in PC LAN (ethernet, wired) settings
normal dhcp as it get ip from router
i got as below
IP-192.168.1.2
SM-255.255.255.0
DG-192.168.1.1

in pc, wireless settings
give static ip
IP-192.168.0.1
SM-255.255.255.0

in iPhone
IP-192.168.0.2
SM-255.255.255.0
Router-192.168.0.1
DNS-192.168.1.1

this settings is working fine with me.

tk cr

sim samyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
buuu
:eek:k:eek:k

faissss

Feb 18, 2011
need help pleaseeeee!
Hello every respected member,
i had to reset my iPhone 3gs bcoz of some reasons, a technician or u can say software enginner. before restoring the iPhone, i used my laptop wifi as an adhoc connection,
but after restoring my iPhone, my iPhone does connect to the adhoc connection but it does not browse any data.
and i have tried all the above mentioned technique and also things from different forums, but its not working,and this is really a big trouble for me,
i am using io.s 4.1, before it was also this firmware, and now also, but i am confused regarding that my iPhone connects but doesn't browse, please help me,
please
and if possible, please pm me on
drfaiss@yahoo.com
"I found that link and set it up successfully. The trick is to setup the IP address and it didn't tell you.
My setup is on the PC
192.168.0.1 - for IP
on the iPhone
192.168.0.2 - for IP
192.168.0.1 - for Router
Notice the 192.168.0.1 is a separate private network from your main network from your ethernet. If your ethernet side also use 192.168.0.X. You can switch to 192.168.1.1 instead"

im using Windows XP, iPhone 3g

you have make the setup as below

in PC LAN (ethernet, wired) settings
normal dhcp as it get ip from router
i got as below
IP-192.168.1.2
SM-255.255.255.0
DG-192.168.1.1

in pc, wireless settings
give static ip
IP-192.168.0.1
SM-255.255.255.0