Getting converted Tivo Videos onto iPhone without iTunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ed3120, Apr 16, 2012.

1. ed3120

ed3120 New Member

I've got a folder full of Tivo videos that have been converted for my iPhone by Tivo Desktop Plus. I have to add those to iTunes and sync my iPhone to get them over to the phone. Has anyone come up with a solution for this?

My idea is to create an RSS feed of the videos and subscribe to that RSS feed via an iPhone RSS reader, such as Downcast. I would like to then download the files from the RSS feed. The problem is, I can't find a way to quickly and automatically create the RSS feed based on the videos in the folder, and have it automatically recreate itself as files are added.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I kind of get what you are trying to do, but not completely clear. What's the advantage of the RSS versus syncing?

Mind if I ask a question, instead of answering? :D How long does it take to convert for use on the iPhone? How is TiVo Desktop Plus?

3. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I don't really have a solution, however I use TiVo shows on my iPhone almost daily. While it takes forever to pull the shows over from TiVo and get them converted to iPhone format, I don't have issues with the sync. Most hour programs go in under 5-minutes. I have some audio video issues on some shows where the sound is behind the video.

I do have to go into iTunes and add the folder over and over to get the newly converted shows to iTunes. Is this what you are asking about? It's a bit of pain, but such a fast process I don't mind it.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

4. ed3120

ed3120 New Member

Here's an example. Let's say I have a 5 new shows downloaded and converted. I have to drag them into iTunes, then I have to plug my iPhone into the USB and sync them. I don't want to have to sit down at my PC to do this.

If I had an RSS feed, then from my couch, while watching TV, I could hit a button in an RSS video app like Downcast, and automatically pull down all of the new shows.

5. ed3120

ed3120 New Member

I haven't kept track of how long, but it's not too bad. Tivo Desktop Plus works decently, but it's a little clunky, and its automation isn't configurable. You can have it run in the background 24/7, but I'd rather limit the CPU intensive converting to the middle of the night. It doesn't have that option.