Getting Gmail via IMAP onto iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
Guys,
Right now I am with AIS here in Thailand with a Blackberry package costing B850 ($25) month with push mail and unlimited GPRS/EDGE. When I get my 1.1.2 iPhone unlocked to use any SIM I plan on dropping the AIS Blackberry package and just using there B200/month 50 hrs GPRS/EDGE package.
My question is; I have a gmail account and it is set up with IMAP, how does the IMAP work with pushing mail to the iPhone, do you have to connect to either wifi or EDGE to get the email at regular intervals or do you need to have EDGE connected all the time?

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Guys,
Right now I am with AIS here in Thailand with a Blackberry package costing B850 ($25) month with push mail and unlimited GPRS/EDGE. When I get my 1.1.2 iPhone unlocked to use any SIM I plan on dropping the AIS Blackberry package and just using there B200/month 50 hrs GPRS/EDGE package.
My question is; I have a gmail account and it is set up with IMAP, how does the IMAP work with pushing mail to the iPhone, do you have to connect to either wifi or EDGE to get the email at regular intervals or do you need to have EDGE connected all the time?
At this point Gmail doesn't push, even over IMAP. You can set the mail to check at intervals (15/30/60 mins) or manually. If you have limited data, you might want to set it for manual, which will check only when you open the mail app.

Of course if you're on wifi all day, you can have it check all you want.

lman

Silver
Oct 18, 2007
i was and am still a little confused with all this email lingo. I have a .mac account and i would want it, when i get my iPhone, to tell me whenever there is a new email. This would be called what...

what is this IMAP and push stuff..

sorry, its one of the only things i haven't been able to pick up

ndwgolf

Bronze
Nov 8, 2007
Phuket Thailand
At this point Gmail doesn't push, even over IMAP. You can set the mail to check at intervals (15/30/60 mins) or manually. If you have limited data, you might want to set it for manual, which will check only when you open the mail app.

Of course if you're on wifi all day, you can have it check all you want.
OK got it thanks, I will just go with the 10 hours Free package and if i use more that that it works out at $1.7 per hour
Thanks again for the advise

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
i was and am still a little confused with all this email lingo. I have a .mac account and i would want it, when i get my iPhone, to tell me whenever there is a new email. This would be called what...

To have an email show up relatively instantly on your phone would be "email push". Right now, the iPhone doesn't really do this. Theoretically, it's supposed to work if you have a Yahoo account... but from everything I've read and experienced, it's VERY spotty.

IMAP is a protocol to sync the messages and folders on your device with your email server (i.e. delete a message on the phone and it's gone on the server next time you check). IMAP in certain iterations will support push email. Unfortunately, the level of implementation in the iPhone does not support this feature.

So basically, push email on the iPhone is, at this point, a "fingers crossed let's hope they add that" sort of thing.

thesaint

Bronze
Jul 9, 2007
DFW

You might want to read the following two threads. It has detailed info on IMAP and what is push and other stuff.

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/gmail-goes-imap.13586/
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/gmail-now-with-imap.13579/

Last edited by a moderator: