Getting iPhone and would like to unlock it

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

TheGuest

Oct 5, 2007
Hi I am thinking of getting it today =)
I want to unlock it
As I have seen here it is possible to unlock any iPhone no matter what version of software it has. However, in some cases software version might have to be downgraded, right? What would you do - get an iPhone and do not worry about the version or look particularly for 1.0.XXXXX? How can I find out from serial number which software version an iPhone has?

Thanks.

ColsTiger

Zealot
Gold
Mar 8, 2007
Columbus, GA
I think it will always be a pain to have an unlocked iPhone. With the nature of the iTunes updates, you will always be trying to find workarounds to get the latest updates.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
While you don't "need" the updates you very well might want them sometime in the future. What if Apple adds Flash or the elusive copy+paste? They might just make something happen in the update that you desperately want and then you have to wait around a while in the chance that a hack is available for the new firmware before you can update. That being said, I've got a modded (not unlocked) iPhone and I'm still on 1.0.2.

TheGuest

Oct 5, 2007
While you don't "need" the updates you very well might want them sometime in the future. What if Apple adds Flash or the elusive copy+paste? They might just make something happen in the update that you desperately want and then you have to wait around a while in the chance that a hack is available for the new firmware before you can update. That being said, I've got a modded (not unlocked) iPhone and I'm still on 1.0.2.

thanks.

how hard is it to unlock it and than lock it again so all updates can be gotten from iTunes?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
thanks.

how hard is it to unlock it and than lock it again so all updates can be gotten from iTunes?
Well to go from an unlock to a lock is relatively simple. Basically just have to completely restore the phone thus erasing any kind of modding you've done. Then it comes the slightly more difficult task of downgrading from the current firmware to the old firmware that the unlock works on. This is of course dependent on how long the hackers take to break the newest firmware. Soon the unlock process for a 1.1.1 iPhone should be quite a bit simpler but time will tell.