Getting my 1st Mac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Shanezam203, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

I've been a PC guy my entire life but I want to finally get an iMac! Do you recommend the 27" over the 21.5, I will be mounting it on the wall with a VESA mount and using the wireless Keyboard and Mouse.

Will it come with an iOS version of Excel and Word, will most of my files from my PC open OK?
    Any install files I have for Windows computers will not install on the MAC right?

Networking the MAC to other PC's on my home network, what is the best way that can be done? Mac to Windows 7 machines.

Thanks,
    Shane

2. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I'd always recommend going bigger, but that's depending upon your budget. Apple does offer great deals on refurbs which in some cases puts a higher end model within reach. I've purchased a number of my computers through their program and highly recommend it.

You'll need to purchase either Office for Mac OR Apple's own Numbers or Pages apps. The Apple versions will open all associated Word, Excel docs and you can export to that file format. If you are doing crazy macros, then it's safer to go with the MS version.

I own MS Office and Pages, Numbers. My original copy is in storage and somehow I managed to do some upgrade that caused it to look for the SN#. Since I cannot locate my original CD, I've been using Apple's apps and it hasn't been an issue at all for me. I hardly miss Office.

Mac's make great Windows machines. With a copy of Windows 7, you can install it via Bootcamp -- where your computer will boot into Windows or Mac, depending upon your preference. Switching is real easy. If you want to run Windows within Mac OS X, you can get a third party program like Parallels or VMWare Fusion. Both are very good. I use VMWare Fusion myself.

3. Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member
    Bronze

great, say I don't install Windows on the Mac and do not dual boot but want to network the MAC and another PC with Windows 7, can that be done?

Example media is on my MAC can I access it on my Windows 7 machine on the network?

4. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

I don't do this, but it's certainly possible. Wouldn't be able to help with the specifics.

5. HansMayer

HansMayer New Member

System Preferences -> Sharing -> File Sharing.
    If you enable that, you can share folders via right-click. They pop up on your Windows machine then.

Yes, you can install Windows on your Mac, but unless you play games, everything works on your Mac as well.