getting nail glue off back of iPhone?

Sep 2, 2009
just bought a used iPhone 3g of a co worker and its in pretty much perfect condition, except it has 2 smears on the back from i guess nail glue or something, she says she was getting her nails done and got come of it on the back while answering the phone, some of the acrylic stuff, anyway i know goo gone works good because i used it before on the plastic on my old suzuki gsx-r bike i had but i was wondering anybody know if using it on the back plastic of the iPhone will mess it up or discolor it? i have the black one by the way

Sep 2, 2009
werent you on a train filled with explosives heading to your death V?

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
just bought a used iPhone 3g of a co worker and its in pretty much perfect condition, except it has 2 smears on the back from i guess nail glue or something, she says she was getting her nails done and got come of it on the back while answering the phone, some of the acrylic stuff, anyway i know goo gone works good because i used it before on the plastic on my old suzuki gsx-r bike i had but i was wondering anybody know if using it on the back plastic of the iPhone will mess it up or discolor it? i have the black one by the way
If it was anything else, I would tell you the way to get acrylic off is to use acetone nail polish remover. I know acetone eats away wood. I don't know what it does to plastic.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
Tis but a scratch, just a flesh wound!

iphonewarrior

Apr 11, 2008
Nail Polish remover would be ok, use a cotton-bud to apply and wipe away.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Be careful with the acetone. It's a strong solvent and can damage plastic.

I would try non-acetone nail polish remover first. (It's all I use on my nails. ;))

--
Mike

Sep 2, 2009
so acetone is actually safer on it than goo gone? i would have thought the opposite, then again i don't know whats in goo gone, but i do know that i used acetone to get glue of before, but i once used it on the palm rest of my last laptop and it completley stripped the color away and turned it balck almost instantly, has anybody personally applied acetone on the back plastic piece of a iPhone that can verify that it wont do any damage? or goo gone?

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Again, try non-acetone nail polish remover. It should not hurt the plastic. I doubt Goo Gone will break down the glue but you can try it if you like.

--
Mike

connie

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 11, 2007
So Cal
I vote for the rubbing alcohol before I would try Acetone. Acetone will dull the finish, alcohol will not. How about a little windex on a cloth. Just try a small amount on a cloth to try it out no matter what you try. I will also bet Goo Gone stuff will work too without bothering the finish of the plastic. Good luck.

Sep 2, 2009
i tried rubbing alcohol already and rubbed it for a long time and nothing, however there was a little bit of on the screen and i used rubbing alcohol and after rubbing it for about 5 seconds it came off, but no luck on the back plastic

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I read up on acetone and plastic. It will, in fact, degrade the plastic, so don't use it!

Non-acetone nail polish will not work....sorry Tinman, but as a girl with acrylics, I know how to remove them. The only way to remove acrylic from nails, at least, is with acetone. You soak them in acetone for a good hour to get them off.

I'd try the goo gone. If that doesn't work, you might laugh, but try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That stuff works on everything!

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I read up on acetone and plastic. It will, in fact, degrade the plastic, so don't use it!

Non-acetone nail polish will not work....sorry Tinman, but as a girl with acrylics, I know how to remove them. The only way to remove acrylic from nails, at least, is with acetone. You soak them in acetone for a good hour to get them off.

I'd try the goo gone. If that doesn't work, you might laugh, but try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. That stuff works on everything!
I thought the OP said it was nail glue. Isn't nail glue cyanoacrylate? If so goo gone won't work.

--
Mike

Sep 2, 2009
im not 100percent sure on exactly what it is i just remember when i was buying the phone she was telling me that its in good condition except for the back which has some swears of, and since i wasent really paying attention i really only heard from her sentence the words, "acrylic" and "glue" and "one time when i was in the salon" the person who sold me this phone was my manager at work so i was in her office just in a rush to buy it quick because i knew a couple of other people wanted to buy it, so i just turned it on and looked at it thoroly like the sound and what not and made a call with it, but i noticed the glue stuff on the back and it looked like it was something that would come off easily like with alcohol or something, guess i was wrong but i really want to get this stuff off so i can buy a invisible shield on the phone to prevent it from scratching up any more