Getting Photos off of iPhone

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.
Aug 15, 2007
My macbook was recently stolen and all my pictures are gone.

I however have my iPhone with all the photos backed up on the iPhone.

Is there a way to backup or a way to get the photos off the iPhone and on to my computer.

This is very frustrating and would like to get the photos off my iPhone.

Here is what I've tried.

Iphoto Sync
- Does not work as Apple currently does not allow users to get photos off iPhones / Ipods. iTunes attempts to erase all photos and merge with existing.

Very frustrating.

Tried a PC Solution
Does Not Work. Tried using a PC to interface with the iPhone, but nothing happens

Jailbreak
I successfuly Jailbreaked into the computer and found a directory on the iPhone called

photo/photo database

Under this directory is a list of ing .thum file but I cannot figure out how to get them off the iPhone and onto my Mac.

Any ideas? I am desperate to get my photos back!

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
iPhoto on another Mac

I'm not sure why you couldn't import to iPhoto on another Mac, even one that isn't sync'd with your iPhone.
My iPhone is sync'd with my MacPro. When I connect it to my MacBook Pro, it doesn't launch iTunes, but it does launch iPhoto. If I chose, "Devices-Apple iPhone", I have the option to import iPhone's camera roll pics to iPhoto, just as if it was any other camera connected to it.
Now, that works only for the camera roll.
If you have other albums, one way to do it would be to upload the pics one by one (patience is a virtue) to your .mac account/web gallery by using the "send to web gallery" option. If you don't have a .mac account, you can get one (you have to have an active account to do that. A temporary free account has that feature disabled). You could also email them one by one to a friendly email account and download that on any other computer (another experience in patience, but well worth it for precious pictures).
Other than those options, I've run out of ideas...

Or just wait till Apple upgrades and enables disk mode.

Conan

Bronze
Jul 19, 2007
On my PC when I connect it, PC automatically detects it as a camera and I can just click on it to load all the pictures.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
On my PC when I connect it, PC automatically detects it as a camera and I can just click on it to load all the pictures.
Camera pics are easy to get to. But the OP was referring to photos--as in synced via iTunes. You can't get to them as easily as camera pics. Camera pics are stored as individual JPGs. Photo app pics are stored in one large database file.

I don't know how to read "Photo Database," but I would copy it off the iPhone anyway. In the mean time I guess the emailing suggestion might be the way to go. I can't imagine doing that myself, as I have several thousand photos on my iPhone. And the resolution of the photos, once on the iPhone, is reduced too.

--
Mike

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
Camera pics are easy to get to. But the OP was referring to photos--as in synced via iTunes. You can't get to them as easily as camera pics. Camera pics are stored as individual JPGs. Photo app pics are stored in one large database file.

I don't know how to read "Photo Database," but I would copy it off the iPhone anyway. In the mean time I guess the emailing suggestion might be the way to go. I can't imagine doing that myself, as I have several thousand photos on my iPhone. And the resolution of the photos, once on the iPhone, is reduced too.

--
Mike
Even if u find a way to get the pics directly off the iPhone, the resolution will remain what it is (reduced). You can never get your originals back, unless by some miracle, you find your Macbook. From now on, back up! I have my 72,000 pics backed up on 3 different hard drives, which is good, considering I lost all the contents of my main HD when lightning hit nearby and all the electricity was out for 3 days. Always a possibility in Colorado. Surge protectors did nothing. I even have most of my pics backed up on DVD.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Even if u find a way to get the pics directly off the iPhone, the resolution will remain what it is (reduced). You can never get your originals back, unless by some miracle, you find your Macbook. From now on, back up!
I do--it wasn't me who lost the MB with no b/u.

--
Mike

Aug 15, 2007
Ideas

Thanks for your solutions.

Connecting to a PC only lets you get the Camera Roll Pictures.

To get the Album photos - which are stored in the database system of Iphoto on the iPhone.

Does any one know how to get the thumbnail database off of the iPhone?

I've tried to jailbreaked in and tried to access the files but can't seem to get the getfile function to work.

I guess email to themselves is the best solution.

I guess I'll do 5 day for a week.

Maybe someone could write a script that emails all the photos off the computer to an email account?

Open to any ideas.

Robert

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I did try and it worked perfectly. Read every image on my iPhone, in both the Photo and Camera, and allowed me to transfer 6 images (trial version limitation). Don't use it, I don't care... it's your time.

--
Mike

Aug 15, 2007
Tansee = Fake Software

Thanks for the followup.

Are you able to access pictures outside of the camera roll?

Here is why I thought it was a scam >

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/userreviews/fid,66165/userreviews.ht

What type of set up do you have?

We tried installing it on a Windows Vista Machine and the program did nothing.

Just sat there saying _ Waiting for iPhone.

Any ideas/

I did try and it worked perfectly. Read every image on my iPhone, in both the Photo and Camera, and allowed me to transfer 6 images (trial version limitation). Don't use it, I don't care... it's your time.

--
Mike

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Thanks for the followup.

Are you able to access pictures outside of the camera roll?

I already wrote: "Read every image on my iPhone, in both the Photo and Camera." If it didn't I wouldn't have posted the link.

Windows Vista, latest iTunes, an already connected iPhone, and installed this app. It just worked.

--
Mike

Aug 15, 2007
Photos Recovered (Low-res)

Thanks to the help of Tinman and Tansee's software I was able to recover the photos off my iPhone and onto my new mac!

Note - Appears to only work on a Windows Vista Machine. XP machine did not process well.

Thanks for your responses.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
It works on Parallels and XP!

I couldn't believe it myself, but it is flawless (Tansee). No need for Vista on the Mac, and no need for a PC either.
However, as mentioned above, the maximum resolution is 480x640 (down to 55x55 if you like them really, really tiny) and it is not free. It will save 6 pictures without registering, after that, it is $20.
Pics taken by iPhone are 1,600x1,200, while some on the pics I've imported from my computer are much larger yet. Since there is no way to email them or recover them at that size with Tansee, I would still keep them on the iPhone until we are given the ability to use it in disk mode and recover them full size (Apple, we are waiting).
Of course, I don't need Tansee. I've got everything backed up ad nauseam.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I was wrong

Emailed Tansee Transfer support about retrieving larger pics from iPhone"
"Hi,
The photos stores in iPhone is re-arranged, they are not in ori-resolution.
So any app can't retrieve full size, :)"

Not possible because they're not there apparently.