getting railed by AT&T and Apple

RRUnner

Jun 9, 2009
i've had my phone for 45 days now, bought at ATT store here in alpharetta. when
i purchased the phone, i asked if a new model will be coming out in the next
couple of months?

the sales representive, whom i looked upon as an expert, replied, absolutely
not. i felt confident, if anything, only a software update would be required.
you have to understand this information was given to me by ATT, who represents
APPLE. i based my purchase on this expert's information.

If i was told a new model was scheduled to be release on june 19, 2009, i would
have waited! i did not expect this type of blatant misinformation passed onto
their customers, given the caliber of the companies. pretty sic...

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I am sorry, that sucks. Truly, reps hardly EVER know anything. Especially AT&T reps. Its sad, but even if they did know, there is no way a sales rep would risk losing a sale by telling you not to buy, and to come back some other time. You can never depend on what reps say.

You can probably rely on a new iPhone coming out every year around this time. I think its pretty much a tradition now.

RRUnner

Jun 9, 2009
you know i figured who better to go to than the authorized dealership. if i went in and just purchased w/o any questions it would be one thing, but in this case, i specifically asked.

ATT rep is a representive of Apple when selling their products. i too read of rumors on the internet of possible new model. that is why i went to ATT store and asked.

if he did not know, he should have informed me of the possibilities, instead he assured me that no such release was planned. i based my purchase on his expert information.

it's borderline false advertising.

Luckykelleyk

Gold
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
you know i figured who better to go to than the authorized dealership. if i went in and just purchased w/o any questions, but in this case, i specifically asked.

ATT rep is a representive of Apple when selling their products. i too read of rumors on the internet of possible new model. that is why i went to ATT store and asked.

if he did not know, he should have informed me of the possibilities, instead he assured me that no such release was planned. i based my purchase on his expert information.

it's borderline false advertising.
An authorized dealer is worse for lots of reasons. I do not disagree with you that it is wrong, it just seems to be the way things are. Did you try calling AT&T? It is possible that if you complain enough they may let you exchange your phone late or maybe upgrade early?

RRUnner

Jun 9, 2009
yeah, i tried all avenues.

eye opening experience. i find it very hard to believe that no one in ATT knew of new model. and if anyone in high position know, it means they knew. you are supposed to be able to trust an expert in a specific field, especially when it comes to companies as substantial as these two.

give us facts, in order to evaluate your products. how other way can we make an educated purchase? why not inform us and let us decide which model we want to purchase. they could have whined the production of last model, coupled with incentives to exhaust their inventory.

BUT to give misinformation....

bass_lover1

Bronze
Aug 19, 2008
I hope you at least got the 3G for the current discounted price ($99 for 8 gig and $149 for the 16gig).

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
....never listen to anyone who makes commission.

LuvKeane

Bronze
May 10, 2009
Broadway
I am eligible for an upgrade and it started in May. I had a gut feeling that Apple would be coming out with new models. When I went into the stores, everyone told me "it's just rumors". This was the same AT APPLE. I honestly don't know how early they find out, if at all. From what i learned from this board and other sites (gizmodo, engadget, theboy one) is that Apple tends to keep things pretty hush-hush. I wonder if they love and live off of the rumor mill.

I happened to call one day and the rep over the phone told me to keep my mouth shut but to wait. I figured, ok, I'll wait. What am I losing IF a new phone is not released?

But yeah, every other company (RIM especially) blatantly announces new models well over a 10 day period before they are released!

IphoneTony

Zealot
Gold
Nov 10, 2007
New Jersey
Just spoke with AT&T rep and I was hoping someone would change my upgrade date so I can get my iPhone at the discounted price... well that did not work. 4/2010 is my date for the iPhone 3gs but crap by that time the iPhone 4 will probably come out so I guess im going to have to hope for a 3.0 jailbreak so I can still have cycorder and record that video. Oh well maybe I will win from #squarespace