getting ready to order

stump

Dec 31, 2007
i called AT&T and they said i could use iPhone on the pickyourplan deal, where you don't get a contract, so I'm going to do that, but i wanted to know can i use the iPhone as a iPod touch if i don't get service? like will the camera,music,wifi still work? and whats edge? is that internet anywhere you go?

sorry for all the questions

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeT

Silver
Dec 18, 2007
Tampa, FL
I'd be surprised if you get that. I've never heard of an iPhone without a 2-year noose.

When you don't have cell service, the rest of the phone still functions except anything requiring the Internet (unless you have a WiFi connection).

Edge is AT&T's medium-speed data network - which is, yes, essentially Internet everywhere you go.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
there was a trick to activating your iPhone with a pay-as-you-go plan - all you had to do was enter 999-99-9999 as your social security number when prompted during activation in iTunes (erica sadun at the unofficial Apple weblog describes it here, and here's another blog post i found about it). but, i think i saw somewhere that this method no longer works, but i could be wrong and you can certainly try it...

stump

Dec 31, 2007
o well i called and the ladie said it was compatible with the pay as you go. im still not 100%. im calling to order in about 15-20 min

scandalex

Silver
Sep 16, 2007
Yes, you can get an iPhone w/o a 2-yr noose (funny Joe). As I stated though in this post, 9's no longer work.

I'd be surprised if you get that. I've never heard of an iPhone without a 2-year noose.

When you don't have cell service, the rest of the phone still functions except anything requiring the Internet (unless you have a WiFi connection).

Edge is AT&T's medium-speed data network - which is, yes, essentially Internet everywhere you go.
there was a trick to activating your iPhone with a pay-as-you-go plan - all you had to do was enter 999-99-9999 as your social security number when prompted during activation in iTunes (erica sadun at the unofficial Apple weblog describes it here, and here's another blog post i found about it). but, i think i saw somewhere that this method no longer works, but i could be wrong and you can certainly try it...

ZipZap

Silver
Dec 15, 2007
I believe that social security has 9 or 13 SSNs that are used for testing. I would try 9's, 1's, 2's etc and even 123-45-6789