Getting SMS tones to work from Cydia?

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
Hey guys been trying to get the mail mutha$$%$ from eurotrip as my sms tone from cydia for the past two days and ive tried downloading 3 different ones and then checking them in winterboard but none of them replace the current tritones. Am i doing something wrong or does 3.0 just not support them yet maybe? I thought i read people changing sms tones already but could be wrong thanks.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
There are two ways you can do this. First one. Take that file and name it "sms-received1.caf" and place it directly into /System/Library/Audio/UISounds folder. it will replace the Tri-Tone sound with it.

OR! Create a folder called "UISounds" and put the file in it. Place the UISounds folder in your current theme folder. Respring and you should be good to go.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Follow cliffeman's post. A lot of the Ringtones haven't been updated yet to work on OS 3.0...SSH is the way to go. Don't rely on Cydia! :sneaky:

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
yes i don't think they've repackaged some of the ringtones in Cydia to unpack in the correct area. I think the file location changed in 3.0.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
ok im gonna try this in a few minutes this will be my first time to work with ssh and winscp. thanks for the help

Krabby

Jan 22, 2009
I have no problem setting up sms ringtones, but my worst problem is finding good ones! Does anybody know where I can find some decent one? thanks.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
K noob question how do i get the ringtone from winterboard onto my computer? or do i just have to make one somehow on my computer then put it in there? sorry first time at this.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
OK i downloaded the sound it was a wav file that shouldnt matter since i renamed it and everything should it? or do i need to convert it? I did everything you said in the second option put UISounds with the exact name you typed as the file in the folder into my theme folder it shows up fine in winterboard but when i select it and respring it still doesn't work? this is the path i used
/private/var/stash/Themes.Xct3b1/UISounds

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
alright i finally did my first ssh mod haha worked good was just a pain to learn. I put it as sms 1 though im gonna go back and reinstall the tritone and replace one of the other sms tones because i like the tri tone the best after my custom one. thanks again for the help.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
any sounds in UISounds folder need to be converted to .caf files in order for them to work. If your converter doesn't offer .caf. save it as a .aiff and change the extension to .caf.

Also note that the files need to be named exactly as they are in that folder. (ie unlock.caf, sms-received1, new-mail.caf)

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
any sounds in UISounds folder need to be converted to .caf files in order for them to work. If your converter doesn't offer .caf. save it as a .aiff and change the extension to .caf.

Also note that the files need to be named exactly as they are in that folder. (ie unlock.caf, sms-received1, new-mail.caf)
yeah i got it to work i just changed it to aiff then changed the extension. Worked great backed up the original sound on my desktop. thanks again man now i gotta learn how to do some more stuff on ssh lol.

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Great! glad it's workin. Any other questions. Just ask :) Many around will are always good with helping out with modding questions.

It get's easier once you get the hang of it.

Get_Zwole

Bronze
Jun 20, 2009
Oklahoma City
thanks man im sure there will be plenty of questions from me on this stuff lol im not the most tech savvy guy out there thats for sure haha.