Getting stuff from ibook to new MacBook question

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
I think I will get my new macbook (or MBP or Air) next weekend. I do not have my stuff (photos, iTunes library) backed up on an external hard drive. Is there some kind of chord that will connect my ibook to a new macbook so the new macbook will read my ibook as a hard drive so I can copy my files? thanks!

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Yes, use a FireWire cable, and turn on the ibook. As soon as you hear the startup noise, press and hold T, until you see a FireWire symbol.

Hope this helps!
Such a fast response! THANKS! Now I know what a firewire cable is for. I take it I can buy one at the Apple store with the computer?

What is the difference between firewire400 and firewire800? I was reading specs on the macbooks and MBPs and they have different ports.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Such a fast response! THANKS! Now I know what a firewire cable is for. I take it I can buy one at the Apple store with the computer?

What is the difference between firewire400 and firewire800? I was reading specs on the macbooks and MBPs and they have different ports.
1. Yes you can get one from the store.

2. I really don't know but I'll do some research.

EDIT: Firewire 400 theoretically transfers data at 400mbps, where as FireWire 800 transfers data at 800mbps.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
1. Yes you can get one from the store.

2. I really don't know but I'll do some research.

EDIT: Firewire 400 theoretically transfers data at 400mbps, where as FireWire 800 transfers data at 800mbps.
Thanks again.

So I will need 3 things so far:
1. New laptop
2. Firewire cable
3. iPhone drive software.

I am getting excited!

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Gad I could help! :)

So, have you decided which one you're gonna get yet?
No, but I am leaning toward the macbook. I do not need a MBP and the Air seems sexy but not as good of a deal. And there is no firewire, so I will have to do the remote disk thing. Plus Air seems to have battery and pixel issues, from what I have been finding online. But who knows. When I get to the Apple store, lust may take over!

Thanks again for your help. I searched the Apple site, could not find the answer and I get it here in 2 minutes!

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
No, but I am leaning toward the macbook. I do not need a MBP and the Air seems sexy but not as good of a deal. And there is no firewire, so I will have to do the remote disk thing. Plus Air seems to have battery and pixel issues, from what I have been finding online. But who knows. When I get to the Apple store, lust may take over!

Thanks again for your help. I searched the Apple site, could not find the answer and I get it here in 2 minutes!
Lol

I really like the Air, though I would wait because i think that Apples next one will incorporate wireless USB, so I would get the MacBook for now. This is only a guess though, don't hold me to it LOL. And I see what you mean about the FireWire.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
I think I will get my new macbook (or MBP or Air) next weekend. I do not have my stuff (photos, iTunes library) backed up on an external hard drive. Is there some kind of chord that will connect my ibook to a new macbook so the new macbook will read my ibook as a hard drive so I can copy my files? thanks!
If you are going to an Apple store, you can take the ibook and they will transfer for you. Not sure how big/bulky the ibook is but if it isn't a lot of trouble you can save some $$$ and time by letting them do it.
About 10 days and I get mine. Yes!

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
Hey koko, glad to head you're jumping in. I ran up to Charlotte to Ap Store Tuesday when the MBP's came out and here I sit at home working off an Apple Express and happy as a hog in slop :). Man I love this Mac and it absolutely screams -- really see the difference with my photoshop work. This might become my workhorse Mac.

I was coming off an old clamshell iBook myself and moving the stuff is no problemo over an ethernet cable or network or simply wirelessly.

Ironic story -- day after I got the MBP, the iBook dies battery wise I guess. At first it would not even work plugged in but then I removed the battery, plugged it in and now works. Not sure what that means and if I get new battery it will be OK for da wifey which was the plan.

The Airs are really sweet and cool, seeing them for the first time the other day but were not for me -- wanted the larger screen, ports and disc drive

I'm so happy with the Pro and wish in some ways I had not waited so long despite the upgrade.

Good luck, you will not regret it.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
It is not very big. I figured you never saw one since it is kind if old. LOL!
Well book should have given it away. Anyway, they will transfer for free if you want to go that route. I am on a pc and have an external drive so I will just do it at home instead of lugging that thing around.
Enjoy witch ever you get.

kokogirl

Gold
Sep 8, 2007
Sunny Florida
Hey koko, glad to head you're jumping in. I ran up to Charlotte to Ap Store Tuesday when the MBP's came out and here I sit at home working off an Apple Express and happy as a hog in slop :). Man I love this Mac and it absolutely screams -- really see the difference with my photoshop work. This might become my workhorse Mac.

I was coming off an old clamshell iBook myself and moving the stuff is no problemo over an ethernet cable or network or simply wirelessly.

Ironic story -- day after I got the MBP, the iBook dies battery wise I guess. At first it would not even work plugged in but then I removed the battery, plugged it in and now works. Not sure what that means and if I get new battery it will be OK for da wifey which was the plan.

The Airs are really sweet and cool, seeing them for the first time the other day but were not for me -- wanted the larger screen, ports and disc drive

I'm so happy with the Pro and wish in some ways I had not waited so long despite the upgrade.

Good luck, you will not regret it.
Congrats again on your purchase.

I am very excited. I was thinking about the MBP, but I do not use photoshop, so I do not think I will benefit from the extras. I will use iTunes, iphoto, safari, calendar, etc. I may mess around with making a web gallery, too. I am now leaning toward the Black macbook with the larger 250MB hard drive.

I was going to get handbrake and rip some DVD's for the iPhone. Macbook is fine for that, right?

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
Man I love this Mac and it absolutely screams -- really see the difference with my photoshop work. This might become my workhorse Mac.
Got a question for you. My plan is to get MBP with Aperture installed. It recommends 2gb of ram. Now in windows talk this would really mean you should have 4gb. Since you have photoshop which is an intense program, did you go with the 2gb or did you upgrade?

deac

Bronze
Jun 29, 2007
went with the 2G mainly because Apple ram is so expensive. May upgrade the ram if I feel I need it, but right now I can't imagine PSD running any better but what do I know! Can't comment on Aperture -- never used it.

dturner

Zealot
Gold
Dec 15, 2007
Louisville, Ky.
went with the 2G mainly because Apple ram is so expensive.
You got that right. You answered my question. If any ram hungry program such as PS doesn't have enough ram it will tend to freeze after 20-30 min. of use. So you should be fine in that department.
Thanks again.

geordisjd

Zealot
Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
I don't know if anybody mentioned it, but you can't use FireWire with MBA, as it only has a USB port. You can transfer stuff over network with it, or burn a DVD if necessary.

phsycology

Zealot
Gold
Dec 29, 2007
Bolton, United Kingdom
Congrats again on your purchase.

I am very excited. I was thinking about the MBP, but I do not use photoshop, so I do not think I will benefit from the extras. I will use iTunes, iphoto, safari, calendar, etc. I may mess around with making a web gallery, too. I am now leaning toward the Black macbook with the larger 250MB hard drive.

I was going to get handbrake and rip some DVD's for the iPhone. Macbook is fine for that, right?
Yes it works great. And I would recommend the black MacBook, its great!

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Nice - I see you got the MB. How do you like it? After my debacle with the Air, I'm now running on a MBP. Much bigger but it is "better" just as sexy. :(

You can also use your router to transfer you files, and that should be pretty easy.