Getting the iPhone 3GS =) (My Story)

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
When I got my iPhone 3G on iDay 2, it was just me on the plan. a month later I bought my fiancé an iPhone and put her on my plan.

Well, when they added the family plan, they changed the primary number to her line. I did not notice this until just recently when I checked to see when I was eligible for an upgrade.

When I looked, I noticed her line was eligible for an upgrade 8/15/09 (12 months from purchase date) and my line was eligible in march of 2010. This didn't make sense to me because I had not yet noticed that she was listed as the primary line.

So I called AT&T, and spoke to a rep about it. I asked when I was elible, and she told me march. I asked what about the other line? She said august. I said why is that one different? She said because the primary line is eligible for an upgrade after 12 months and the secondary line is eligible after18 months. I said, MY line is the primary line. I've had that line since 2007 when I got the first iPhone way before I had a family plan. And she said, well for some reason they put the other line as primary. I told her that I wanted to be able to upgrade my line in august because I am supposed to be the primary line. And she said, I apologize sir, I do not know why they switched the primary line when you did not ask them to. I said well can you switch it? She said yes, but the upgrade status will remain the same. I said is there anything you can do about that? She said no, we are not allowed to edit the upgrade status. But, she said, you can do an early upgrade and get the phone for $399 or $499. I said thats ridiculous. I said you guys messed up my line, why do I need to pay an extra $200 to upgrade my phone?

After a bit more back and forth with me adamently telling her how frustrated u was about the injustice, she was silent for a few moments, and was presumably looking at her computer screen. She then said, sir, as a one time courtesy, AT&T will credit $150 to your account, is this ok? I said yes, thank you. :)

So, thanks to this little mishap, I will now be able to get the iPhone 3GS 32GB for $349 ($499 - $150). This also does not affect my current subsidation status because I am purchasing the phone at full price (minus the credit). This means my fiancé's line is still eligible for an upgrade in august, and I still have my upgrade in march, which will set me up very nicely to be able to get the 2010 iPhone for the fully subsidized price. :D

Needless to say, I am extremely happy. I was thinking I may have to skip this iPhone, because I didn't think it was worth the unsubsidized price especially coming from a 3G. But I think this worked out quite nicely for me. :)

After ultrasn0w comes out, I'll unlock and sell my 3G on 3.0. (so glad I didn't sell it locked on 2.2.1 already!)

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Needless to say, I am extremely happy. I was thinking I may have to skip this iPhone, because I didn't think it was worth the unsubsidized price especially coming from a 3G. But I think this worked out quite nicely for me. :)

After ultrasn0w comes out, I'll unlock and sell my 3G on 3.0. (so glad I didn't sell it locked on 2.2.1 already!)
I'm glad it all worked out for you. It was a complicated mess but it sounds like it all came together. You will probably even come out ahead after selling your unlocked 3G. Now you can enjoy the new 3GS instead of reading about it from us on this forum. :laugh2:

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Great work! I'm glad the heavens parted and the light shone through for you. :D

iphun

Zealot
Gold
Mar 16, 2009
PA
What do you plan on selling your 3G for? Especially with the unlock coming out I am sure we will be able to get more

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
Since this 3.0 unlock is available...am I free to go ahead and download the 3.0 software for my v1 tomorrow and use it until I unlock it? Meaning, will restoring the phone downgrade the software again?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
So, thanks to this little mishap, I will now be able to get the iPhone 3GS 32GB for $349 ($499 - $150). This also does not affect my current subsidation status because I am purchasing the phone at full price (minus the credit). This means my fiancé's line is still eligible for an upgrade in august, and I still have my upgrade in march, which will set me up very nicely to be able to get the 2010 iPhone for the fully subsidized price.
To get the 32Gig for 499 you have to sign a 2 yr contract. And you will not be eligible for upgrade for 18 months from the day you sign the contract. The contract free/no commitment price of the 32gig is 699.

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
When I got my iPhone 3G on iDay 2, it was just me on the plan. a month later I bought my fiancé an iPhone and put her on my plan.

Well, when they added the family plan, they changed the primary number to her line. I did not notice this until just recently when I checked to see when I was eligible for an upgrade.

When I looked, I noticed her line was eligible for an upgrade 8/15/09 (12 months from purchase date) and my line was eligible in march of 2010. This didn't make sense to me because I had not yet noticed that she was listed as the primary line.

So I called AT&T, and spoke to a rep about it. I asked when I was elible, and she told me march. I asked what about the other line? She said august. I said why is that one different? She said because the primary line is eligible for an upgrade after 12 months and the secondary line is eligible after18 months. I said, MY line is the primary line. I've had that line since 2007 when I got the first iPhone way before I had a family plan. And she said, well for some reason they put the other line as primary. I told her that I wanted to be able to upgrade my line in august because I am supposed to be the primary line. And she said, I apologize sir, I do not know why they switched the primary line when you did not ask them to. I said well can you switch it? She said yes, but the upgrade status will remain the same. I said is there anything you can do about that? She said no, we are not allowed to edit the upgrade status. But, she said, you can do an early upgrade and get the phone for $399 or $499. I said thats ridiculous. I said you guys messed up my line, why do I need to pay an extra $200 to upgrade my phone?

After a bit more back and forth with me adamently telling her how frustrated u was about the injustice, she was silent for a few moments, and was presumably looking at her computer screen. She then said, sir, as a one time courtesy, AT&T will credit $150 to your account, is this ok? I said yes, thank you. :)

So, thanks to this little mishap, I will now be able to get the iPhone 3GS 32GB for $349 ($499 - $150). This also does not affect my current subsidation status because I am purchasing the phone at full price (minus the credit). This means my fiancé's line is still eligible for an upgrade in august, and I still have my upgrade in march, which will set me up very nicely to be able to get the 2010 iPhone for the fully subsidized price. :D

Awesome! This is even better than getting it subsidized for $299. Doing it this way will extend your contract 2 years (both ways do), but this way won't affect your upgrade eligibility date (since you are not getting it subsidized). You will be eligible in March, so you'll be able to get next years model subsided. Your fiance will be eligible in August, so she can also get one subsidized.

This is the best of both worlds. Good to know that credit is there if it's justified and you fight for it. Thanks for sharing!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Awesome! This is even better than getting it subsidized for $299. Doing it this way will extend your contract 2 years (both ways do), but this way won't affect your upgrade eligibility date (since you are not getting it subsidized). You will be eligible in March, so you'll be able to get next years model subsided. Your fiance will be eligible in August, so she can also get one subsidized.

This is the best of both worlds. Good to know that credit is there if it's justified and you fight for it. Thanks for sharing!
You are wrong, the unsubsidized price is 699, 499 is a subsidized price, they are giving you a 200 dollar break even though you are not eligible.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
shutter, you are correct. they we're offering me an early upgrade price, thats why it was $499.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
Yes, but my point was your eligibilitydate will not remain the same. When you activate the new 3G S, you will sign a new contract. Your new upgrade eligibility will be 18 months from that day.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Yes, but my point was your eligibilitydate will not remain the same. When you activate the new 3G S, you will sign a new contract. Your new upgrade eligibility will be 18 months from that day.
That's what'll happen, I'd bet on it. They're giving you a break because you're upgrading early but your contract and new eligibility date will be extended from the day your 3G S is activated.

seanwes

Zealot
Gold
Feb 13, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Ah, right, I gotcha. Yeah that makes sense that I'll be signing another 2-year, which will bump my upgrade back to 12 month. Thats ok, I'm cool with that.