Getting tired of Music sync issues

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by altjx, Nov 18, 2011.

1. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

I have a desktop and a laptop. Both running Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit), and iTunes (latest version). I keep my music synced between the two machines using Windows Live Mesh, thereforee my libraries are always exact matches.

That being said, lately I've been getting duplicate songs on my iPhone 4s. I've turned off "Music" syncing from iCloud by going to Settings > Store > Music (off). Not exactly sure that helped, but just did it just incase.. Anyways. I've used my iTunes to "Sync and Erase" all songs from my iPhone 4s. For some reason, the duplicates went away and now I just have 1 copy of every song.

Why does Erase and Sync NOT erase and sync like it's suppose to? Why are there still songs on my iPhone 4s? I've had to go into my iPhone's filesystem manually and delete all iTunes stuff to get my songs to completely be gone from a fresh start... It's becoming annoying though.

2. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Which file folders specifically do you sync through Mesh? And what size are they?
    Just wondering, too, if this would work with Mesh for Mac.

3. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

I actually sync my entire "C:\Users\myname\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media" folder. Since iTunes do not automatically add new songs to library, I have to do it manually. But for the most part, the files within that folder (on both computers) are always up to date. So I just have to add it to the library and I'm good to go.

4. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Don't you have the option to automatically add new songs to the Library under Preferences>Advanced Tab?

5. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

I don't think I've ever seen that. I'll check again though once I update iTunes at work. (it's updated at home).

6. InyigoMontoya

InyigoMontoya Contributor
    Bronze

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but don't you just need to uncheck "Sync Music" in your iTunes and sync the phone? That should remove all music from your phone. Unless, again, I'm not reading this right.

7. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

That's what I did. But the problem is, with the music synced, I had duplicates.

Once I unchecked "Sync Music", all it did was remove the duplicates. I still have a whole set of songs on my phone.

8. InyigoMontoya

Bronze

I see. If it were me (and I prefer to take the quick and easy way out) I'd restore and set up as new with "Sync Music" unchecked and see if that removes them. Have you verified the songs aren't duplicated in your "C:\Users\myname\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media" folder?

9. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Yeah, I've verified that as well. Hmm...

10. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Also, it doesn't automatically add new songs. You must be thinking about "Keep folder organized" and "Copy songs to library when copying".

11. InyigoMontoya

Bronze

I'm as confused as you are. Sounds quirky. I'd try a restore.

12. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Kk. I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot. The last time this happened, I removed everything from the iTunes_Control folder on the iPhone. That caused a weird issue as iTunes detected my iPhone as a new phone or something, but it worked, lol. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your help!

13. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Have you tried the option to manually sync your media? I hated having to do a slow sync just to get music on or off my phone. It's so much easier just to drag and drop. You can even do it from an explorer window into iTunes from folders that aren't even in the iTunes catalog should you choose.

14. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

Manually sync checked songs and videos? Or something like that? I tried that too, lol. Right now, my iPhone isn't synced to any library (according to the Sync Music being unchecked by default on laptop and desktop), but I have 251 songs.

15. psylichon

psylichon Genius

But now that you're manually syncing music, you should be able to go into the music on your device when it's connected to iTunes and just delete it right there. Or are the dupes not showing up there?

16. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Also if you're running iOS 5.0 or 5.0.1 you should be able to delete the songs one by one on the phone. Annoying but it might get you out of this.

17. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

How? Really? I didn't know you could delete songs FROM the iPhone? Oh wow. Tell me.

WOW! I did NOT know you could swipe on the iPhone music app. Doing that now. SWWEEEEEEEEEEET

18. psylichon

psylichon Genius

Swipe the title and a delete button should pop up. Might be able to delete albums this way... not sure as I'm still on 4.3.3

19. altjx

altjx Member
    Bronze

FREAKIN A. You can delete albums too. I should be good to go from here. :D Thanks man!

20. psylichon

psylichon Genius

No problem. I can't wait to go 5.x so I can delete albums on the fly. I hate leaving gigs free on my phone just in case I run into a serious Kodak moment that requires lots of video action. :)

I'm just addicted to my untethered jailbreak at the moment.