Getting turn by turn on Google maps

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by salilsurendran, Aug 25, 2009.

1. salilsurendran

salilsurendran New Member

Hello Friends,
    I love google maps and it's interface. Is there a way to get turn by turn directions on Google Maps app available on the iPhone?

2. scottjf8

scottjf8 Member
    Silver

No

Sorry

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. MrEous

MrEous Member
    Silver

You can get to the turns in the options but it won't tell you (speak) when a turn is coming up.

5. salilsurendran

thats ok. I don't want it to speak but i just want it to show the next turn when i reach it. that should be pretty small modification

6. MrEous

MrEous Member
    Silver

Well in the options you have to manually push a button to have it show the next turn. I used it recently, works well. :)

7. salilsurendran

are u talking about hitting the right arrow each time a turn comes up to see the next turn or is there a button in the option that automatically lists the next turn when you come close to it? Which button is that?

8. Watcher

Watcher Zealot
    Gold

No. What you're looking for is more of turn-by-turn, up-to-the-second information that is provided on the GPS apps in the App Store. The arrows he's talking about is the stages of the trip that Google Maps gives you which don't let you know where you are on the map at those stages of the journey. It gives you a list of the route and shows you the main parts of the trip.

What I like to do with Google Maps is head to my destination while the blue blinking dot moves as it shows exactly where you are at the time on the map. It's probably not what you're looking for in that it doesn't tell you or let you know specifically when and where to turn but it's still handy. What I usually do is take a preview of the trip before I leave looking at the major turns and streets where I'm going to need to turn and then use the moving blue GPS dot on the map to lead me to my destination.

9. hitrho5

hitrho5 Member
    Bronze

There's the TomTom app. Here's the pricing for TomTom in the US iTunes App Store. There are 4 different apps that each provide navigation for a different region.

Australia - $79.99
    New Zealand - $94.99
    US & Canada - $99.99
    Western Europe - $139.99

Glad I don't need it :)