Getting Your $200 Back The Self Sufficeient Way

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
First of all I would like to say that this is NOT another rant about the anger behind the price drop.

This is how I took it upon myself to get my money back, well at least most of it.

As many of you know, the new feature being advertised for the iPhone's is iPhone unlocking. It is a very new third party concept and many people do not know about it, or are not interested in trying to do it themselves.

As I was browsing around eBay, I saw that people were paying up to $800 for an unlocked iPhone! I immediately ordered the unlock software for $50, started a one day eBay auction and sold my iPhone for $600. I could have easily sold it for $700+ but I took little time in preparing the ad and also showed no proof of my unlock as other sellers are doing.

I then went on the Apple site and ordered a refurbished 8GB iPhone for $350. I made up the $200, and plan on buying another iPhone and selling it unlocked quickly again.

Just a few tips, do this AS FAST as you can. As of now, eBay is letting the auctions complete, however I have a feeling they will ban this soon, as technically you are selling hacked hardware.

Secondly, make sure to make a well thought out auction with good descriptions and video proof. If I did this the first go around I would have easily made at least $100 more.

Anyways just a thought. Let me know what you guys/gals think.

--Brad

Waveguy

Bronze
Aug 18, 2007
Considering that there's now free unlock s/w, I think that your window of opportunity is closing quickly. A few people might still pay a premium to have someone unlock the phone for them, but there won't be many.

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Well shoot far, this makes it even more profitable. Even if they know that it can be done for free, there are many people that would be willing to pay $500 for an unlocked iPhone. They just don't want to go through the hassle to do it. Do it twice and you've made up your money. Do it 6 times and you got yourself a free iDay iPhone.

As to eBay blocking this, unlocking an iPhone is legal.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some shoppin'/unlockin' to do.

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
Yep, just do it quick if you are going to do it.

Waveguy, to my knowledge there is no free software at all. Where is your source for this?

SmartAlx

Zealot
Gold
Jun 7, 2007
Yep, just do it quick if you are going to do it.
Why? Read my last post. I think the only reason to act quickly is market saturation: too many people selling unlocked iPhones. Selling hacked hardware is not illegal.
Waveguy, to my knowledge there is no free software at all. Where is your source for this?
I asked this already and jonallan gave it.

Oh! I need to thank him.

Oh one thing, the free software is temporary (for now). Is the pay software permanent? What happens when the ebay customer updates their phone? Will it lock back?

iphonecrazyy

Bronze
Aug 15, 2007
yes just saw it, as of last night this wasn't the case, I guess it just happened this morning. That being said, people are STILL willing to pay for the unlocked iPhone. Just go browse around eBay, you can get some good cash for them.

I haven't looked into the free software yet, but the paid software is temporary.

I put a disclaimer on my auction about this.

theotherallen

Bronze
Jun 16, 2007
unlocking any cell phone is legal for yourself.

READ: YOURSELF.

but to sell it is illegal. it's all in the DMC. if they felt like it, AT&T could sue you.